+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Milestone. I don't believe in sleep training or following strict routines.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

wrena  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i think its a milestone.

I've got four kids all vastly different in terms of sleeping capabilities. i reckon I've tried darn near every 'teaching' skill there is.
    i think because we are tired we are trying everything we can to encourage sleeping through so its inevitable that sometimes the timing might make it appear that something helped or whatever. to grossly generalise i find a lot of people with 1 or 2 kids *think it can be taught. then a lot with 4+ kids think its up to baby. im gonna jump to conclusions and figure that in my opinion more experienced parents don't usually believe it can be taught. just my opinion.

i acknowledge that those who feel hard work taught their baby to sleep put in lots of effort and hard work to get there BUT i reckon just as often as not parents of babies who can't be taught to sleep have put in just as much hard work and effort trying to get their babies to sleep also.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, milestone. I don't take credit for the fact dd1 was a text book baby. She slept through from 3wks. She hasn't stopped since, perhaps on the odd sick occasion...

Dd2 I tried putting her in a gentle schedule, she had the whole bath book bed routine and has only really just started sleeping throughout the night but wakes up to pee.

Dd3 is 5m and on her own schedule! Has slept through a couple of times too!

In the same aspect of 'taking credit for sleeping through' I find it a bit hard to swallow that it's MY responsibility if they don't IYKWIM, as in THAT reflects MY patenting... Nits not really fair IMO

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Milestone
    Sure, you may be able to do things to improve their sleep or even make it worse but whether they sleep through or not is up to them at the end of the day. Just like adults there are good sleepers and bad sleepers - i have one of each.
    I really dislike how sleeping through is associated with 'good parenting' as if not having a good sleeper some how means you are just a lousy parent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both.

I think there are things you can do to improve your child's sleeping habits, but I think they are born 'good' or 'bad' sleepers (for want of a better way of putting it).

DD has slept through the night from very early on (about 4 weeks), and there was nothing we did to make that happen. She was a big sleeper from the moment she was born, and we used to have to wake her up to feed her.

She's now 21 months, and nothing has changed. She goes to bed early (about 5pm) and wakes around 6-6.30am the next day. The only time I can recall her waking in the night was around 7mths old when she had gastro.

We had friends to stay when she was 11mths old, and she stopped going to bed early. They had a 2yr old, and she just wanted to be with him all the time. We just went with it while they were there, and then after they'd gone home it took 2 nights to get her back to normal.

So, aside from a little bit of intervention from us on that occasion, it's all been up to her. I'm not sure I'd say it was a 'milestone' though, as it's just how she's always been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    I really dislike how sleeping through is associated with 'good parenting' as if not having a good sleeper some how means you are just a lousy parent
    Me too I've stopped talking about how my kids sleep because everyone seems to think I'm doing something wrong and they've done something right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's pure luck, except if there is a physical reason for it like reflux, or anything else.

Sometimes people get the timing right and implement a routine when baby starts to develop a routine. Sometimes the can then be swayed.

All in all, it is pure luck and there is nothing wrong with babies or parents. Some babies sleep more than others, some sleep in bigger blocks than others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it can be a bit of both.

Some babies will eventually sleep through when they realise it's a nice thing to do and they are comfortable to do so. Might be at 3 months, might not be at 18 months.

I think it can also be taught if they don't reach that stage by themselves....

I also however, don't think it's something that needs to be taught from birth. Just as I don't expect my newborn to go to the toilet, eat with a knife and fork or dress themselves, I don't expect them to learn how to sleep away from me until they are well and truly ready to do so.

I think around 22 months to 3ish is a good age to start gently "teaching" sleep if they haven't already picked it up by themselves. Just like toilet training

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-03-2012),wrena  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazGotHam View Post
    I think it can be a bit of both.

I think it can also be taught if they don't reach that stage by themselves....

I also however, don't think it's something that needs to be taught from birth. Just as I don't expect my newborn to go to the toilet, eat with a knife and fork or dress themselves, I don't expect them to learn how to sleep away from me until they are well and truly ready to do so.
    I fully agree. If its hard work to get there and keep it there (sleeping thru) then its not meant to be - same as for lots of other abilities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad that you started this thread. I have really enjoyed reading everyones opinions and experiences. Sleeping through is a big topic in my house at the moment, with DS turning 6 months DH is now wondering "why doesn't our baby sleep through the night yet???" He goes to bed at 7.30 and wakes once for a feed about 3am and wakes again at 7.30am. We have had a bedtime routine from 3 weeks and have a consistent day routine and he can self settle easily. I feel that is very good, but not quite good enough for DH, as "everyone else's baby sleeps through" :-(

I asked about this at my mothers group the other week and most mums told me that their baby sleeps through, and then when I exclaimed "wow that much be so nice for you to sleep" 2 or 3 said, well I still have to get up x times to put their dummy back in, but they stay in bed for 12 hours... lol.
    Last edited by ilovehats; 20-03-2012 at 20:27.