+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Milestone. DD started sleeping through really early through no coaxing of mine. She also stopped after a couple of months. And has no started to again. I'm not doing anything different at all, to what I have always done. I just go with the flow and she sorts herself out. I lived the stress of "trying" to make DS sleep through as a baby, and I'm not interested in doing that to myself this time around. And I'm being rewarded with a better sleeping baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    From my experience it is a milestone.

With my five it has all happened at different stages.

All of them where sleeping that long consistently by 4 years
    one was 1yr, most of the others where by 2yrs and the last one was not until 3 and 1/2yrs old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think taught, I worked very hard and stuck to a strict routine and my dd slept through from 8 weeks. We have had patches of waking throughout teething etc, but always able to get back to min 11 hours a night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Taught. DS had major sleeping issues. After months of down to minute strict routine he is finally sleeping 7-7 at 20 months. Back at 15-18 months he'd wake 4+ a night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Deff. a milestone (with my two girls anyway)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Milestone.

My DS was 2-3 months when he first slept through. I was awake during the end of my DH 30th, and thought I'd sit on the couch while the last few party animals kept on partying and kept saying "no point in sleeping, cos he'll wake up any minute now. He'd gone to bed about 8-9pm and woke up about 5-6am.
    I think we were really lucky with that, but then he started teething at 6 months and it went all up the **** anyway, and went back to square one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    milestone. Although that term implies that it's something that can't be taken back (eg. most children start crawling & continue to crawl). That unfortunately is not the case with sleeping through.

My ds slept through at about 3 months for about 2 weeks. Then he didn't sleep through for more than a night here & there til he was 15 months old. And from then he'd wake if he was sick, which was reasonably often.

My dd started sleeping for 6+ hours at night (usually 11pm til 5am) at around 6 weeks and that time stretched to be consistently 9+ hours by about 10 or 12 weeks. But at 4 months (18 weeks) she stopped and was back to 5 - 6 hour gaps again. She's only started sleeping for long in the last week or so. Yet, her nighttime routine is more established and more rigid now than at 6 or 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it can be a bit blurred because, for instance, my dd slept through early so if we were to follow a routine book, she would have done what was in the book. For instance, she went to bed at 6pm, woke at 10pm for a nappy change and feed and was asleep again by 10.30 then woke at 6am for a nappy change and feed and was only up 10 minutes, then woke for the day at 8am. I got up after her 6am wake up to have coffee and shower alone lol. That was by 2 weeks, and apparently some book teaching parents to use routines had that routine, with a dreamfeed at 10pm. So if we followed it, she was doing it anyway but I might have thought it was taught. If that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a bit on the fence with this one. I think some children are naturally better than others at sleeping. They are able to settle themselves back to sleep if they are disturbed, while others can't.
    I do however believe that good sleeping can be encouraged earlier so the magical "sleeping through" happens at an earlier age than it would have occurred without intervention.

DD1 was a great sleeper. At 6 weeks old she started sleeping 8hours a night, which she did consistently until she started teething. She is almost 4 now and generally sleeps well at night.
    DD2 was a reflux baby and needed a good hour of being rocked in my arms to get to sleep (standing up, not sitting- do babies have an altimeter? ) until she was 9 months old. She would also wake multiple times a night and would only get back to sleep with a feed. At 9 months I decided that I was going to persist with patting her as a resettling tool, rather than feeding her. In just a few nights she was sleeping through. I honestly don't know how long it would have been before she started sleeping through of her own accord, but I suspect it would have been a while. She's now 2 and sleeps well at night.
    DS is 4 months old and feeds a couple of times overnight. He settles quickly after feeds, and is ale to settle himself when I put him down for naps and into bed for the night. He has skipped a night feed here and there, but not on any regular pattern. I suspect he'll be like DD1 and be a great sleeper before too long, without any assistance on my part.

If better sleep habits could NOT be encouraged, then sleep schools and baby whisperers would be out of business. I realize that the techniques they use don't work for everyone, but if they work for some babies they must be effective to some degree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm on the fence too - I honestly think it's a bit of both. I think it's something they'll do when they're ready but a bit of encouragement in the right direction certainly helps.