+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm depends...
    our front door is generally always locked unless there is a cool breeze... but df is always home, and one of us is inside with the kids otherwise its locked :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I key lock the front security screen door and the same for the back door.

I do this to prevent-

My toddlers escaping out to the front yard

Anbody entering without my knowledge. (Especially as I'm always out at the clothesline in the back yard during the day) as it's too hot to keep the front door shut.

*Possibly distressing to read* -I am so glad I do this, as my worst fear came true recently when a woman at the back of us was brutally raped during the school run hours in her home, as a masked man was able to gain entry to her home via the front door. She just had it latched locked, but he cut through the screen and flicked the latch with his fingers. It was so BRAZEN as it was the front door and on the afternoon school run time, so lot's of Mums and kids about.

In our last home I had my DH make up a bit of clear perspex and put it around the screen latch so that noone would be able to cut the screen near where the lock is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    We enter and leave via the garage 99% of the time, so I keep the front door locked when I'm home because otherwise I would forget to lock it when I go out and the house would be empty and unlocked (have done it a few times!)
    This.

I always have the back sliding door open and screen closed but not locked when home. Most of the time our laundry door is unlocked but the connecting door from the garage & laundry to the main part of the house is locked. I like to make sure the house is locked up when we're out, but when at home I like to open it up for the fresh air.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Every door is always locked no matter what.

I'm really paranoid someone will break in through the day and hurt ds and I. I saw a very disturbing doco on the crime investigation network, and I'll never ever forget it, and never leave my doors unlocked. Just not worth the risk IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes out of habit, we use to live on a highway on many occasions I had people try come in without being invited. So I do despite not actually needing to where we live. Most people find our driveway a mission let alone the stairs haha plus it is a confusing area to get in

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. But just the push lock. I padlock overnight or if we are out. The side door is often open as my kids are constantly in and out, but it is out the back, through a tall fence. If someone got that far they clearly have bad intentions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If everybody's home we usually leave the door unlocked, but only because the boys come in and out working in the yard and stuff. Apart from that, the front door is usually locked, and the back door gets locked at night. If anybody came in the yard during the day, my oma would hear the gate as would the dog who'd go nuts.

Mind you, when DP and I move out we'll have a 6 foot gate and a doberman for intruders to content with before they get anywhere near our doors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I automatically lock it the same - not consciously and I sometimes lock DF out too. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    My house is locked up like Fort Knox, both when i'm home and when i'm not
    Mine too :smile:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always have the doors locked. My reasons are keeping my children in (although DD can now unlock the door...) and keeping other people out.