+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Talk to me about salt...

I'm freaking out about salt at the moment! How careful do I need to be? DD is 7.5mo and we're trying to follow BLW.

DH and I were arguing about it, he's really relaxed about what she eats (he has a terrible fast-food diet when I'm not looking, lol, and was basically brought up on processed/instant foods), but I'm really careful about her food (I was brought up on healthy food and junk was an occasional treat, so I'm quite passionate about raising DD with a healthy diet and good knowledge of food). I was reading the label on a pack of corn cruskits and he thinks I'm being over cautious. I am aware of possible effects on her kidneys so I think I'm right to be careful.

I know in an ideal world she'd only get fresh home-made food but I also want her to have variety and my cooking skills are limited! It's even more restricted because she's cows milk & soy protein intolerant.

What do I need to know about salt??

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    1g a day limit!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In the blw weaning book, it was something like 400mg for babies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How do I know she's staying under that with her milk feeds + solids?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    How do I know she's staying under that with her milk feeds + solids?
    Just focus on the solids, read labels

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I breast fed but assume formula is low sodium.

just read all the food labels and buy and cook with nas products where possible.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, I guess I shouldn't stress too much, she barely actually swallows anything at this point. She mostly just has fruit, veg and plain meats anyway and I tend to use herbs & spices rather than salt to flavour things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was allergic to cows milk, soy,eggs and gluten so I made everything and still do. If it has more then 150mgs of salt per 100gms I don't buy it. The only exception is soy sauce and bread products. I pretty much make everything from scratch because of DDs allergies and because the salt content in nearly everything is extremely disturbing to me.
    With DD having so many allergies I check labels for everything and am constantly shocked by the ingredients on store brought/take away.

So back to the topic at hand lol. If something has more then 150mgs per 100gms I wouldn't be giving it to a baby.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your doing fine, its great you are being so diligent, no offense to hubby but if he is a fast food addict he is lucky he has you to check these things! just watch breads, cruskits, anything in a jar or packet, cheese etc and don't buy Vegemite or commercial peanut butter!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think your doing fine, its great you are being so diligent, no offense to hubby but if he is a fast food addict he is lucky he has you to check these things! just watch breads, cruskits, anything in a jar or packet, cheese etc and don't buy Vegemite or commercial peanut butter!
    I don't give her any breads as most have milk and/or soy in them. For carbs she gets potato and pasta, stuff like that. No spreads either except she has had some hummus and some nuttelex (although it just occurred to me that I'd better check that for salt too!).

And yeah, DH rolls his eyes at my insistence on healthy food for all 3 of us but he knows it's important to me. I just wish he'd make more effort, especially when it comes to DD. I have always told him that healthy eating is right up there on my priority list with DD and these sort of arguments scare me because I think he might not be so supportive of it as she gets older.