+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had a cocktail party for our wedding a couple of months ago - yummy gourmet finger food and we also had a mini bowl for each guest so they had something a bit more substantial too (we had little bowls of Thai green chicken curry - so easy to eat standing up). We also made sure the servers took different routes through the guests so the food was evenly distributed amongst the guests and no-one missed out. I much prefer cocktail receptions than sit down dinners - much more sociable in my opinion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've been to one and it was lovely but nowhere near enough food or selection (5 different finger foods) none veggie.
    They had chicken and chilli sausage rolls
    Potato prawns
    Sesame Prawns
    Chicken spring rolls
    And little chicken tarts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to two cocktail style weddings, they were both loads of fun but just make sure people eat enough, I'm not just talking about the variety of food or the routes the servers take through the crowds, but people actually just not taking something as it comes round as they have a drink in hand or are dancing or whatever. Both weddings I went to ended up with at least half the people just getting smaaaaashed cause the ratio of booze to food was too high.

Congratulations btw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    if you do a cocktail reception the main things to remember are.
    have a few tables and chairs as its tiring to stand all night esp in heels.

have some more meal like foods, mini fish n chip sleeves, noodle boxes with either a noodle dish or risotto. mini hamburgers and hotdogs along with all the usual finger foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was great, we had a variety of finger foods. It catered to everyone's food requirements. They ate what they wanted and how much they desired to eat. We also had two donut pyramids as our "cake". Everyone at our wedding liked donuts and we didn't have that time wasting chore of cutting the cake into portions either.

In saying that though, I must admit that DH and I stopped at maccas on our way home in our wedding attire cos we didn't get a chance to eat at our reception, but I love cocktail weddings. I reckon they're the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For my wedding we had finger food for the entree which was while we got photos done. Ppl had to pay for their own drinks then. For dinner we had a hot meal alternating meal. We made sure guests told us any dietary requirements so they had a meal for them. Then dessert was our wedding cake with ice cream.
    We also had that ppl paid for their meal instead of presents so we wanted to give a decent three course meal & value for their money. It was $27 pp so what they got was great!! Guests told us what a great meal they had. There was an open bar for beer, wine & soft drinks too.

I don't like cocktail because there is never enough food that I can eat. Spicey or garlicky foods I can't eat, so limited options there. If I know I'm going to a cocktail food party I make sure I either eat before I go or go & have something between ceremony & reception whether that be food in the car or go to local shop to get food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaBamumma View Post
    Dh and I had a cocktail style wedding. We didn't want the big sit down dinner thing so we had 'fancy' finger food. That was 5 years ago and people still comment about it being the best wedding they've been to! I think it just eliminates the 'formal' vibe and makes it more of a friendly atmosphere.
    We also chose to have a cocktail reception because we didn't want to do the formal wedding thing.

Our venue was indoors/outdoors right on the river with a gorgeous garden setting. We had small tables and chairs scattered about and made sure there were enough chairs for everyone to have a seat if they wanted.

There was plenty of food, some platters on the tables (antipasto and cheese and fruit platters) plus 15 or so different gourmet finger foods which were walked around by wait staff.

In addition to the finger food we opted to have 3 different "fork" dishes available for something more substantial.

It was actually more expensive than having a sit down meal but we wanted more of a party atmosphere for our wedding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammycakes View Post
    I've been to two cocktail style weddings, they were both loads of fun but just make sure people eat enough, I'm not just talking about the variety of food or the routes the servers take through the crowds, but people actually just not taking something as it comes round as they have a drink in hand or are dancing or whatever. Both weddings I went to ended up with at least half the people just getting smaaaaashed cause the ratio of booze to food was too high.

Congratulations btw
    This!! I never eat enough because it's always 'too hard' to balance wine/purse/camera/food. And everyone else must be similar cos they're always the drunkest weddings!

There are some great ideas that others have posted- particularly the 'cocktail buffet' style one!

We had a BBQ buffet- but got the food out and away again as quickly as possible- along with the rest of the formalities so we could dance and mingle most of the night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    This. Infact WannaBamumma, are you me?

Just make sure you have plenty of food and some simple foods for people with simple tastes. I don't mean party pies, but things like nice chicken wings, simple bruschettas, maybe some individual asparagus and panchetta tarts (aka quiche) as well as some very elegant finger foods.
    I don't know... Are you me???
    I agree with you re: food types. We are such wise and beautiful women...

I wanted to add though to make sure you eat enough yourself! Our venue had a ridiculous amount of food but I was too busy dancing and drinking to eat enough so when dh and I got back to the 'honeymoon suite' we ordered a pizza from room service! Yep, a romantic pizza on our wedding night! Haha
    We also had a 'cupcake cake' to tie in with the cocktail food so people could just take one and keep mingling. What about you SPG?? Still me??