+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I definitely agree that cows milk is not a good source of iron, I also thought though calcium inhibited iron absorption ?
    I know it's best to have iron rich foods ( meat,seafood,beans,green veggies etc) with vitamin c rich foods for optimal absorption ( eg; beef Bolognese with tomato based sauce )
    My soon to be SIL is coming over tonight for dinner ( she is a nutritionist/naturopath that specializes in childhood nutrition ) so I will ask her tonight!
    I didn't even think of the calcium cancelling out the iron absortion haha and I knew that from my experience with low iron levels during my pregnancy! Let me know what your SIL says about the milo. I think your probably right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    well I don't see a problem giving them more milk than the recommended.

To much milk can inhibit absorption of iron so yes it can be a problem. I got told no more then 400 ml a day for my 3 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ok just spent an hour with my SIL discussing iron and kids! She said at 13 months if he is eating a good amount of meat/seafood/eggs/veggies/fruits/ whole grains then no need to worry about iron as there should be plenty but as some toddlers are still getting used to food and you are worried about iron content there are a few things she recommends to her clients:

Stay on the formula ( or breastmilk) until you think their diet is adequate ( cows milk is not a complete source of milk like bm/formula)

Backstrap molasses is one of the purest sources of iron and can easily be added to veggies/basted in meats

Floradix for kids is an liquid iron drops that can be added daily to a glass of water

Iron tablet for kids can also be dissolved in water

She said the recommendation is dairy products should not be given until at least 2 hours after a iron rich meal as it will hinder absorption ( as does caffeine and tea/coffee) and that she would never recommend milo to a client ( especially a toddler) as it will have a bad effect in his blood sugar levels and her main worry for this generation is diabetes because of all the refined sugar and simple carbohydrates they consume

She said if a school aged child wants a glass if milo as a treat after school no worries. ( as long as his diet is otherwise healthy ) but a baby cannot burn that kind if energy, she said the iron content in milo is just a marketing ploy when it's really just chocolate milk ( which hinders iron absorption anyway!)

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cj* View Post
    To much milk can inhibit absorption of iron so yes it can be a problem. I got told no more then 400 ml a day for my 3 year old.
    A 3yr old I understand, they doo not need that amount of milk at that age but a 12mth old still needs thier milk and 600mls a day isn't excessive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Ok just spent an hour with my SIL discussing iron and kids! She said at 13 months if he is eating a good amount of meat/seafood/eggs/veggies/fruits/ whole grains then no need to worry about iron as there should be plenty but as some toddlers are still getting used to food and you are worried about iron content there are a few things she recommends to her clients:

Stay on the formula ( or breastmilk) until you think their diet is adequate ( cows milk is not a complete source of milk like bm/formula)

Backstrap molasses is one of the purest sources of iron and can easily be added to veggies/basted in meats

Floradix for kids is an liquid iron drops that can be added daily to a glass of water

Iron tablet for kids can also be dissolved in water

She said the recommendation is dairy products should not be given until at least 2 hours after a iron rich meal as it will hinder absorption ( as does caffeine and tea/coffee) and that she would never recommend milo to a client ( especially a toddler) as it will have a bad effect in his blood sugar levels and her main worry for this generation is diabetes because of all the refined sugar and simple carbohydrates they consume

She said if a school aged child wants a glass if milo as a treat after school no worries. ( as long as his diet is otherwise healthy ) but a baby cannot burn that kind if energy, she said the iron content in milo is just a marketing ploy when it's really just chocolate milk ( which hinders iron absorption anyway!)

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for that useful information.
    yep that's my reasoning for giving bub formula at night to, ds1 was slow and gaining weight and was a picky eater at that age so I kept him on formula til he was 2yrs. Ds2 is totally different, a good weight and a good eater which is why I decided he was ready for cows milk.
    And I thought that would be the case with the milo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were just talking about this too as dS1 is 22 months and never really drunk milk much after being weaned from bf at 13 months. He has it on his weetbix and has yogurt and cheese so easily meets his 600ml/day of calcium foods. Mchn and doctor has said this is fine and it's good he's not having a bottle before bed as that raises lots of other potential dramas with teeth not being clean overnight. His friend already has cavities at 22 months because of drinking mike overnight and may even lose two teeth.

Interestingly our new mchn has suggested milo at night! Wtf??? I couldn't believe it! DS1 hates chocolate and ice cream which won't last.forever so why introduce a chocolate drink?? Not a chance. He has more than enough calcium so it was a terrible and unnecessary suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    Interestingly our new mchn has suggested milo at night! Wtf??? I couldn't believe it! DS1 hates chocolate and ice cream which won't last.forever so why introduce a chocolate drink?? Not a chance. He has more than enough calcium so it was a terrible and unnecessary suggestion.
    yet another reason why we shouldn't take notice of everything they say. Seriously?? He isn't even 2 yet - why introduce a high sugar drink unnecessarily so young? They'll eventually find their own sweet tooth, no sense pushing it on them any earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emclare View Post
    He does eat alot of veges and I still puree his dinner because he hasn't got many teeth yet and I sweeten his dinners with fruit aswell sometimes (spoonful of sugar makes the medicen go down type of thing haha).
    Slightly off topic, but just thought I'd also offer some advice on his food. At 13mths, you shouldn't need to waste your time pureeing his meals anymore. Babies don't need teeth to bite or chew, they have very strong gums! So maybe try giving him some whole foods (like a banana?) and see how he goes with it?

I recently read that it's important for them to learn how to chew different textured foods as early as possible, as this apparently helps their jaw and mouth muscles develop. this in turn helps things like their speech I think?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Chazrity  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but just thought I'd also offer some advice on his food. At 13mths, you shouldn't need to waste your time pureeing his meals anymore. Babies don't need teeth to bite or chew, they have very strong gums! So maybe try giving him some whole foods (like a banana?) and see how he goes with it?

I recently read that it's important for them to learn how to chew different textured foods as early as possible, as this apparently helps their jaw and mouth muscles develop. this in turn helps things like their speech I think?
    Yep, totally agree, my DS has 2 teeth (at 8mths) and doesn't have pureed food. Things like meat I just finely chop and mix through or if it is tender, cut into strips for him to eat, he seems to get it down just fine with his gums! All his vege is steamed and presented in pieces/strips, and most fruit just cut up with the skin left on. He go the hang of chewing quite quickly and now mostly eats whatever we are eating. He self-feeds most everything, except yogurt and porridge etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post

He will hold a banana and chomp his way through it and he will eat a sandwich (wholemeal bread) and baked potato, kumara and other softish fruit and veges but I found with meat he still has trouble getting it down there without coughing and spluttering (fish is no problem) so I puree his dinners just to be on the safe side for now but am slowly introducing more and more. And I'll tell you what he can really get through those rusks! Ever tried to bite one? They are rock solid! Haha! Sometimes if we are eating something appropriate for him (eg not to spicy!) I will shred/cut it up for him and he much prefers feeding himself. And I don't mind a mess, you can always clean it up haha.