+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much cows milk and water should my 13month old be drinking?

Hi all kinda new to this. I am wondering how many bottles of cows milk my 13 month old should be drinking a day and how much water. He eats breakfast lunch and dinner and most of the time has snacks (yogurt, fruit or biscuit) in between (depending how busy playing he is!) I am giving him cows milk now and he has one bottle in the morning with milo in it (suggested by my mum) then water with his breakfast and lunch, He has a bottle of plain cows milk when he wakes up from his afternoon nap and a bottle after his dinner and bath and if he doesn't have another one when he is in bed he will wake up for it during the night. So four bottles one of which is milo (one teaspoon to 8oz) (anywhere between 6-8oz each) a day and he will drink water in between. I'm not sure how much water he has as he carries his sippy cup or bottle around (he prefers his bottle) and will will just drink it when he wants it I'd estimate about 14oz of water. Never juice he hates it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's recommended after 1, no more than 500ml a day of milk/formula etc as you don't want them to fill up on it as solids are now more important after 1, water I think it's as much as they want during the day and offer more on hot days- wouldn't milo have a lot of sugar in it( not sure as we don't drink it!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Emclare  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think it's recommended after 1, no more than 500ml a day of milk/formula etc as you don't want them to fill up on it as solids are now more important after 1, water I think it's as much as they want during the day and offer more on hot days- wouldn't milo have a lot of sugar in it( not sure as we don't drink it!)
    He is definitely having more than 500ml! Thanks for the advice good to know. And about the milo mum suggested it for him for the iron in it because cows milk doesn't have any. I originally didn't want to give him chocolate drinks but it doesn't seem to be affecting him in any way and I brush his teeth after breakfast and before bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Goats milk would be a better alternative to cow's milk. Feeding him cow's milk is likely to lead to ear, nose, throat problems (ear ache, tonsilitis, bronchitis, runny noses, etc) down the track. Can give you more info about that if you're interested. Just thought I'd chuck my two-bob's worth in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kbf2plus2 For This Useful Post:

Emclare  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbf2plus2 View Post
    Goats milk would be a better alternative to cow's milk. Feeding him cow's milk is likely to lead to ear, nose, throat problems (ear ache, tonsilitis, bronchitis, runny noses, etc) down the track. Can give you more info about that if you're interested. Just thought I'd chuck my two-bob's worth in.
    Ditto.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emclare View Post
    Hi all kinda new to this. I am wondering how many bottles of cows milk my 13 month old should be drinking a day and how much water. He eats breakfast lunch and dinner and most of the time has snacks (yogurt, fruit or biscuit) in between (depending how busy playing he is!) I am giving him cows milk now and he has one bottle in the morning with milo in it (suggested by my mum) then water with his breakfast and lunch, He has a bottle of plain cows milk when he wakes up from his afternoon nap and a bottle after his dinner and bath and if he doesn't have another one when he is in bed he will wake up for it during the night. So four bottles one of which is milo (one teaspoon to 8oz) (anywhere between 6-8oz each) a day and he will drink water in between. I'm not sure how much water he has as he carries his sippy cup or bottle around (he prefers his bottle) and will will just drink it when he wants it I'd estimate about 14oz of water. Never juice he hates it!
    My bub is 12mths in 2 weeks. I give him a bottle of formula before bed and he has 2 or 3 180ml bottles of long life milk through the day. The milk in the cold section of the super market is very watered down whereas long life is creamy. Bub has 3 meals of solids a day plus snacks in between so as long as they eat well I don't see a problem giving them more milk than the recommended. I personally wouldn't be giving milo though. Bub also has a lot of water throughout the day, we live in a hot climate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Emclare  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is definitely having more than 500ml! Thanks for the advice good to know. And about the milo mum suggested it for him for the iron in it because cows milk doesn't have any. I originally didn't want to give him chocolate drinks but it doesn't seem to be affecting him in any way and I brush his teeth after breakfast and before bed.
    Knowing the different food and liquid stages for our kids is a minefield isn't it?! Always worried if they are getting enough, then you get the hang of it and it changes again

However i just wanted to suggest that there are plenty of healthier alternatives to add more iron to his diet if you feel it's lacking. In fact if he's eating a balanced diet of veggies/fruit/meat etc then he'd be getting enough from his food without having to introduce extra sugar and fat anyway. I'm sure your mum means well and we all like to take our mums advice thinking they know best! But seriously some of their advice is very outdated from 'back in their day'!!

If you're comfortable giving him this as a treat though then great, keep it up!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Emclare  (18-03-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I definitely agree that cows milk is not a good source of iron, I also thought though calcium inhibited iron absorption ?
    I know it's best to have iron rich foods ( meat,seafood,beans,green veggies etc) with vitamin c rich foods for optimal absorption ( eg; beef Bolognese with tomato based sauce )
    My soon to be SIL is coming over tonight for dinner ( she is a nutritionist/naturopath that specializes in childhood nutrition ) so I will ask her tonight!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kbf2plus2 View Post
    Yes I am interested! As he is getting a little constipated. He does eat alot of veges and I still puree his dinner because he hasn't got many teeth yet and I sweeten his dinners with fruit aswell sometimes (spoonful of sugar makes the medicen go down type of thing haha) so he is definitely getting all the right stuff there. So the only thing I can think of is he is having too many bottles of cows milk. I am thinking the bottles are a comfort thing for him he was very sooky on the breast and he treats his sippy cup like a toy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Knowing the different food and liquid stages for our kids is a minefield isn't it?! Always worried if they are getting enough, then you get the hang of it and it changes again

However i just wanted to suggest that there are plenty of healthier alternatives to add more iron to his diet if you feel it's lacking. In fact if he's eating a balanced diet of veggies/fruit/meat etc then he'd be getting enough from his food without having to introduce extra sugar and fat anyway. I'm sure your mum means well and we all like to take our mums advice thinking they know best! But seriously some of their advice is very outdated from 'back in their day'!!

If you're comfortable giving him this as a treat though then great, keep it up!
    Definitely always changing and yes you are right the older generation can be quite outdated with some things! I do like giving him the milo and it's only a teaspoon and I know I like starting my day with a glass of milo haha its so weak I don't think he can really tell the difference so it might be pointless afterall.