+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    He might be very well informed and his decisions are then made on his opinion of the information given to him. He is entitled to that, as is her friend who she is belittling for having done the exact same thing but came up with a different result. Why is (to her) Bill Gates reasoning any more valid than her friend's?
    Well I would suggest that Bill Gates would have spent a lot of time and funding on research with well respected scientists. One would imagine that he would have access to a large amount of information. Information based on actual research, not word of mouth or Dr Google. But this is obvious information.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

    HazTechDad  (19-03-2012)

  3. #52
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    There is an old saying you have to spend money to make money, I think that's what Bill Gates does. I don't think he has an informed stance on everything he spends money on. I also think it is a drop in the ocean for him, I sponsor a child in a third world country that doesn't make me an expert and percentage wise is probably comparable to the amount Gates spends given his massive income.
    I think the writer of the article is doing exactly what she is protesting about, giving certain opinions more credence because of her own 'prejudices' of what makes a view worthy. To base her judgement of a man on what she reads on the internet. To think that someone who has money to spend on a cause is more informed than someone who doesn't is at best delusional.
    Youre right that would be delusional. It's not his money that makes him more informed, it's his direct involvement in the initiatives that makes him informed.

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,492
    Thanks
    4,294
    Thanked
    1,806
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Well I would suggest that Bill Gates would have spent a lot of time and funding on research with well respected scientists. One would imagine that he would have access to a large amount of information. Information based on actual research, not word of mouth or Dr Google. But this is obvious information.
    So based on that, do you think we all should be vaccinating and supporting GM crops. Or do you believe, like I do, that we are all entitled to make our own choices based on what we think is right for us?

  5. #54
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    So based on that, do you think we all should be vaccinating and supporting GM crops. Or do you believe, like I do, that we are all entitled to make our own choices based on what we think is right for us?
    Not at all, I think it is another piece of information that we all add together to make our own informed choices.
    I'm not going to rule out Bill Gates information when I make my choice because he's got money, that would be delusional.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    tiggerfields  (19-03-2012)

  7. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,492
    Thanks
    4,294
    Thanked
    1,806
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, I agree.
    I do think Mia Freedman has done exactly that though.
    Or at least that is how she comes across to me, but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

  8. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    So based on that, do you think we all should be vaccinating and supporting GM crops. Or do you believe, like I do, that we are all entitled to make our own choices based on what we think is right for us?
    Of course I believe we can all make our own INFORMED choices. Which was the point of the article. Nothing to do with GM.

  9. #57
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    Yeah, I agree.
    I do think Mia Freedman has done exactly that though.
    Or at least that is how she comes across to me, but we're all entitled to our own opinions.
    Not sure what her motivations are
    but we are all entitled our own opinions and choices

  10. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    26
    Reviews
    2
    I understand that some people cannot vaccinate their children for various reasons. However it is the people who choose not to for their own reasons. I do not believe anyone can be made to do anything so I guess they have every right not to vaccinate, however are these people relying on the rest of us vaccinating our children to protect theirs? What happens if no one vaccinated their children? Can these people tell me that we would not have larger outbreaks of devastating disease?
    I'm sure given the possibility (however slight) of a critically ill child and a vaccination, I know what I would be choosing.

  11. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,054
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked
    1,053
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Youre right that would be delusional. It's not his money that makes him more informed, it's his direct involvement in the initiatives that makes him informed.
    I'm not sure of his motivations but he has some interesting ideas on eugenics and controlling the world's population. Direct involvement means nothing and it does certainly not equate to truth or knowledge, more so to bias and personal power.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

    Phony  (20-03-2012)

  13. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,846
    Thanks
    6,200
    Thanked
    16,892
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jascar View Post
    I understand that some people cannot vaccinate their children for various reasons. However it is the people who choose not to for their own reasons. I do not believe anyone can be made to do anything so I guess they have every right not to vaccinate, however are these people relying on the rest of us vaccinating our children to protect theirs? What happens if no one vaccinated their children? Can these people tell me that we would not have larger outbreaks of devastating disease?
    I'm sure given the possibility (however slight) of a critically ill child and a vaccination, I know what I would be choosing.
    I doubt no one will vaccinate their kids, if that times comes, then I agree, we'll have huge issues. Vax rates are around the 90% mark, enough for a reasonable herd immunity. Until the day rates drop below 50% as a vaxxer I support choice.

    I agree with you in your stance on vaxxing. I did reading and I firmly feel vaxxing is the best way to aid in communicable diseases being held at acceptable levels. I also agree that herd immunity is keeping un vaxxed kids relatively safe from disease. But what other parents do with their child is their business. My kids are up to date and covered, and that's all I can control. It doesn't bother me my kids are part of the herd immunity for non vaxxers. I would have got the shots whether it did or not.

    I agree with the authors core values, and some of what she says. But there is a tone of being quite patronising and sarcastic. Those that don't vaxx, don't bc they believe it's detrimental to their child. I disagree... but again they aren't my kids...

    I do not support a nanny state

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Phony  (20-03-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. How contagious is Gastro?
    By Claire86 in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-05-2012, 18:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Heinz Baby Basics
Our BPA Free range offers you a choice for every stage of your baby’s feeding development. You’ll love our brilliant colours, inspired designs and innovative features. Heinz Baby Basics caters for your baby’s needs!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!