+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    "While I accept my former co-worker was a thoughtful person who meant well, I'm floored by the extraordinary assumption that he knew better than every scientist in the world _ not to mention Bill and Melinda Gates who are spending hundreds of millions of their own dollars funding vaccination programs in third-world countries to eradicate killer diseases such as malaria."

Yep, she clearly says that the fact that he has MONEY means that his views and beliefs are of more importance than her friend's decision not to vax based on his own research. Which also says to me that she thinks this of ALL non vaxers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Every child? There are many who need to be delayed and many others who cannot be vaccinated. How many people truly only do research on the internet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    "While I accept my former co-worker was a thoughtful person who meant well, I'm floored by the extraordinary assumption that he knew better than every scientist in the world _ not to mention Bill and Melinda Gates who are spending hundreds of millions of their own dollars funding vaccination programs in third-world countries to eradicate killer diseases such as malaria."

Yep, she clearly says that the fact that he has MONEY means that his views and beliefs are of more importance than her friend's decision not to vax based on his own research. Which also says to me that she thinks this of ALL non vaxers.

Oh come on. She isn't saying that at all. You are twisting this to suit your agenda.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (19-03-2012),Sariele  (19-03-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (19-03-2012),tiggerfields  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Oh come on. She isn't saying that at all. You are twisting this to suit your agenda.
    Hahaha, I don't have an agenda.
    I do wonder what hers is though, with an article like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear Mia Freedman,

If you are going to extol the virtues of science, which are many and worth extolling, I agree, perhaps you ought not say things like the following:

I'd need more space and a wheelie bin full of rescue remedy.
    People that live in homoeopathic houses shouldn't throw science-barbs.

Just saying.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-03-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

No I don't think that's what she is saying, I think she is saying is that because they are choosing to spend their money in this way, they must feel it is a beneficial thing to do. Given the massive investment by the Gates it would be fair to assume that they have an informed stance and it is that which affords them a level of expertise on the subject not the fact that they have money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha, I don't have an agenda.
    I do wonder what hers is though, with an article like that.
    I didn't say anything humorous, so fail to see why you're laughing.

Maybe she just doesn't agree with not vaxing, and wishes people wouldn't use Google as their source of knowledge. It's a fair call. Lots of people agree with her.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-03-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (19-03-2012),tiggerfields  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    No I don't think that's what she is saying, I think she is saying is that because they are choosing to spend their money in this way, they must feel it is a beneficial thing to do. Given the massive investment by the Gates it would be fair to assume that they have an informed stance and it is that which affords them a level of expertise on the subject not the fact that they have money.

He might be very well informed and his decisions are then made on his opinion of the information given to him. He is entitled to that, as is her friend who she is belittling for having done the exact same thing but came up with a different result. Why is (to her) Bill Gates reasoning any more valid than her friend's?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He might be very well informed and his decisions are then made on his opinion of the information given to him. He is entitled to that, as is her friend who she is belittling for having done the exact same thing but came up with a different result. Why is (to her) Bill Gates reasoning any more valid than her friend's?
    Not sure but I'd probably go with Bill Gates reasoning over her mates too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    There is an old saying you have to spend money to make money, I think that's what Bill Gates does. I don't think he has an informed stance on everything he spends money on. I also think it is a drop in the ocean for him, I sponsor a child in a third world country that doesn't make me an expert and percentage wise is probably comparable to the amount Gates spends given his massive income.
    I think the writer of the article is doing exactly what she is protesting about, giving certain opinions more credence because of her own 'prejudices' of what makes a view worthy. To base her judgement of a man on what she reads on the internet. To think that someone who has money to spend on a cause is more informed than someone who doesn't is at best delusional.