+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    Nah, sorry. I stopped reading at

"I'm floored by the extraordinary assumption that he knew better than every scientist in the world _ not to mention Bill and Melinda Gates who are spending hundreds of millions of their own dollars funding vaccination programs in third-world countries to eradicate killer diseases such as malaria."

He's also a huge advocate of GM crops,(Monsanto) so I wouldn't value his opinion on health care, maybe she should do HER research before promoting the likes of Gates.
    In the past I was not a huge fan of Bill Gates (probably for no other reason than I hated Windows!), but Bill and Melinda Gates (through the Gates Foundation) have given enormous amounts of money to help fight poverty and disease in the 3rd World. This has directly saved the lives of thousands of children, and prevented suffering of untold others. Their health programs include funding vaccines and improvements in living conditions, where these two factors alone contribute to the death and suffering of millions of children every year.

While I'm not totally sold on the idea of GM foods as yet, the harsh reality is that if the World's population keeps growing at its current rate, we will soon need the crop-yield benefits that GM can deliver or the World will not be able to grow enough food to sustain its population.

Africa is in a particularly bad position, since they are already unable to grow sufficient crops and people already die of dehydration and starvation. Can you imagine the benefits for Africa if wheat or rice could be genetically modified to require 50% less water to grow than it currently does, for example?

There are many reasons to research GM crops other than to improve the bottom line of Monsanto and others, and there are many organisations (such as the CSIRO gene research division) doing such research with incredibly honourable motives.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HazTechDad For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-03-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (19-03-2012),tiggerfields  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTechDad View Post
    In the past I was not a huge fan of Bill Gates (probably for no other reason than I hated Windows!), but Bill and Melinda Gates (through the Gates Foundation) have given enormous amounts of money to help fight poverty and disease in the 3rd World. This has directly saved the lives of thousands of children, and prevented suffering of untold others. Their health programs include funding vaccines and improvements in living conditions, where these two factors alone contribute to the death and suffering of millions of children every year.

While I'm not totally sold on the idea of GM foods as yet, the harsh reality is that if the World's population keeps growing at its current rate, we will soon need the crop-yield benefits that GM can deliver or the World will not be able to grow enough food to sustain its population.

Africa is in a particularly bad position, since they are already unable to grow sufficient crops and people already die of dehydration and starvation. Can you imagine the benefits for Africa if wheat or rice could be genetically modified to require 50% less water to grow than it currently does, for example?

There are many reasons to research GM crops other than to improve the bottom line of Monsanto and others, and there are many organisations (such as the CSIRO gene research division) doing such research with incredibly honourable motives.
    Thanks! You bring up lots of important things here, also their work with the givingpledge.org

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I agree and disagree. While I'm pro vaxx and think the AVN are a bunch of loons giving wrong info that could and probably has had disastrous results... I'm also not into dr worshipping. I've received some horrible info from some (like being told a few days ago hormone imbalance doesn't cause infertility ). There have been times where I have ignored professionals and gone with my gut and I was right.

So I do firmly believe there is proven scientific basis to vaxxing. I just don't subscribe to the notion unless you have a medical degree you have no ability to read or process things for yourself.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (19-03-2012),Gandalf  (06-05-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (06-05-2012),wrena  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In a funny mood, this is all I can muster for this thread and the article discussed:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Perhaps she's in favour of his ideals to help farmers produce GM crops (which will be more drought resistant) to help reduce poverty and hunger. I don't see why this would mean she hasn't researched.

Either she did or didn't, but if she did do her research, then she'd be turning a blind eye to the truth about GM crops, just to put Bill Gates on a pedestal for "spending hundreds of millions of their own dollars funding vaccination programs in third-world countries"
    I don't see how Gates spending millions of his own money on vaccinations should ever be used as evidence of his intelligence against her 'friend', what a stupid, insulting thing to say.
    Her whole piece was insulting though.
    Especially so to non-vaxers who obviously are under the extraordinary assumption that they know better than every scientist in the world. (her words)
    What ever happened to choice?
    I vax, but I support the right to choose.
    What makes Mia Freedman's opinion more right than anybody else's?
    She said herself she's no expert???
    So who gave her a voice on this matter?

She has insulted all of us on here too.
    Many of us here on Bubhub, use the Internet to
    research our own day to day dilemmas and worries.
    "Having access to Google does not make you an expert, nor does having a website or watching a YouTube video. These things simply make you someone with an Internet connection."

I don't think I'm an expert on any subject matter because of it.
    I doubt anyone on here does either, but thanks Mia, for speaking on behalf of us all.
    I do however , think that I get a much more rounded , real , opinion on matters that
    I wouldn't get from a doctor or hospital alone.
    And that's what we do here on Bubhub.
    We share our information and life experiences and help each other come to a decision based on facts...
    not just doctors orders.

And who is she so fired up about exactly?
    That one friend from yrs back? (If he even existed at all because she sounds mad at everyone)
    No, this is a piece to put us little people in our place.
    A "Shut up and do what you're told" attitude I thought.

"You find yourself getting into these exhausting debates with patients who insist they've read something that goes against what you're telling them."
    Don't question me, just do as I say.
    Dangerous ground to be on, I'd rather question everything,
    ESPECIALLY if my doctor is exhausted.

It irks me that THIS is the kind of single minded person who has a voice in main ****** media these days.
    Money and/or a degree seem to be the only 2 valid reasons, in her mind, for a person to be allowed to voice an opinion.

Not enough time has passed for them to be 100% sure that they are in fact helping the World's population.
    Ahh look,
    I'm afraid, without derailing the thread, I'll have to disagree with you on GM foods.
    But for anyone who's interested having read so far, here's a good link, one of many about GM crops.
    http://www.naturalnews.com/021641.html

Without trying to sound harsh or cold, isn't that up to Mother Nature to sort out, as she always has done?
    Creating Frankenstein foods to sustain a planet already at full capacity, without really knowing the effect of these foods on humans, is a recipe for disaster in my mind.
    It's human interference with the natural order of things that has us in this mess.

Woah, my apologies for the long post.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (19-03-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (19-03-2012),saxonrose  (19-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great posts Delirium and Little Smile!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    Without trying to sound harsh or cold, isn't that up to Mother Nature to sort out, as she always has done?
    Creating Frankenstein foods to sustain a planet already at full capacity, without really knowing the effect of these foods on humans, is a recipe for disaster in my mind.
    It's human interference with the natural order of things that has us in this mess.

Woah, my apologies for the long post.
    That does sound harsh and cold. We're not the ones watching our children starve to death.

I think your views on GM foods are fine, however, some people don't agree with you. That doesn't equal turning a blind eye, just disagreeing.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (19-03-2012),HazTechDad  (19-03-2012),tiggerfields  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That does sound harsh and cold. We're not the ones watching our children starve to death.

I think your views on GM foods are fine, however, some people don't agree with you. That doesn't equal turning a blind eye, just disagreeing.
    I'm torn on this. While GM food scares me, I do agree with you that it's the preferable option to watching people die, and is so far possibly the only alternative we have.

However, I do think that cutting out, or greatly reducing, our meat intake would assist the planet. I also think there is a lot to be said for sharing.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-03-2012),delirium  (19-03-2012),Gandalf  (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    In regard to GM foods, honestly I don't know where I stand as far as the big picture. But I do know if I lived in Africa with starving emaciated children I sure as hell would support it. We live in a first world country and are in a privileged position. It's easy to say let nature take it's course when it's not your loved one.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babycake  (19-03-2012),share a book  (19-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (19-03-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If GM crops contaminate the natural supply of crops, then no country would be safe from it's grip.
    I wasn't taking the attitude of " Oh it's alright because it's over there, and not something that will happen to us.." not at all.