+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't remember when mine slept through...maybe 4months? Thats was with a dream feed at 10pm. Then she would be up at 6.30ish.
    I dont think any baby sleeps through at 3 weeks but I would start trying to help bubs to work out night and day cause they dont seem to automatically know this. During the day make sure it's always bright and loud and play with baby when he is awake. At night feed baby in as dark a room as possible, dont talk to him when changing his nappy and try your best to put him back down.... this often wont work so maybe rock him in a dark room without speaking.
    Hopefully he will work out day and night soon and go a few more hours without waking.
    Also are you letting him feed til full or til he finishes his bottle. Babies are not very inclined to overeat at that age so if his finishing his bottle perhaps try putting some more in the bottle.
    Not sure if any of that helps but I hope you get a rest soon. Maybe see if a friend can come and help you out so you can get a little un-interupted sleeep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD slept through at about 16months when she weaned. Hope you get some better chunks of sleep soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy30 View Post
    I have a 3 week old too and I have been following the routines in Gina Fords book Little contented baby. We feed our girl at 10pm, she'll then sleep till 3am and then wake again around 5.30am. I know it's not sleeping through but it's manageable. Maybe you could check the book out?
    My DS was doing pretty much this too around the same age.

He is 9 weeks now and occasionally
    do this but he has started to go down between 7.30-9.00 then may or may not wake for feed between 10-12 and then up around 7.30am. He started sleeping better when we changed his formula.
    Last edited by babyla; 18-03-2012 at 11:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's only 3 weeks old. Give it some time. DS didn't sleep through til he was 4-5 months old at least. I have been single since 9 weeks pregnant. Its tough, but you get through it.
    If you breastfeed, maybe express a few bottles and ask your mum or friend to look after bub for a few hours during the day or night while you get some sleep? Does your 3yo go to daycare?

I haven't heard of many newborns that sleep through at 3 weeks.
    Besides, define "sleeping through". Is it 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hour, 12 hours?
    I also have noticed that breastfed bubs feed more often than bottlefed bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieGirl View Post
    Hi Everyone

I need help.

I am a single mother of 2 girls, a newborn (3 weeks old) & a 3yr old. At the moment my newborn does pretty well during the day and is bottle fed every 3 hrs most of the time. However when it comes to night time, she struggles to last 1-2 hrs without waking up & wanting to eat and then from 4am onwards she usually stays awake until 7 or 8am.

I am getting zero sleep & as a single mum with my own business, I am feeling really desperate & LOW at the moment

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thanks everyone.

Is there a sleep school/centre helpline is Brisbane you can call for advice? I went to Karitane (its in sydney)for DDs sleep issues (6.5months). i saw 2 bubs there, 6 and 7 wks old who were waking every hr of the night. Im not sure what exactly the nurses did with them but the mums said the had started sleeping 4-5hrly at night(which for that age would be sleeping through i guess) . If there is a helpline there you can call than they may have suggestions (3wks maybe a bit young but they may offer you advise for when shes slightly older)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to send you some hugs! My DS fed every half hour during nights til he weaned at 10 months & even when I tried formula he would want a comfort breastfeed too.

We did sleep school but it was horrible as they use the cry it out method and it never worked anyway.

Both kids sleep on the floor in our room. DS has only just stopped coming into our bed recently so that for me is a massive achievement. However he wakes through the night for a cuddle or for blankets or to have a tanty or whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not until 19 months. When newborn he would wake every 1 to 2 hours. He still sometimes wakes a couple of times a night and needs to be resettled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    15 to 18 months DD started to sleep through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is 13months now and has just started going to bed at a set time (8:30pm) and sleeps through to in between 6 or 7am. Occasionally he will wake up a little unsettled as he is teething but some cold water to sooth his gums (or bonjela if that doesn't work with a quick sip of milk to get rid of the yucky taste) and a cuddle will put him right back to sleep and he will sleep in a bit later (giving me a little sleep in too!) Between 6weeks and 6months I was getting a decent nights sleep and then from 6 months he was very up and down with teething but he never had a set bedtime in the first year and I never ever left him to cry himself into hysteria because it just makes it harder on you and them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months and DS hasn't sleep a 7-7 stint yet. At about 8 weeks he started to do a longer sleep from 7 onwards and could go 4-6 hours, and would then wake every 3 hours from then on. From 3 months till now he has woken once per night, except for a few weeks @ 5 months when he woke every few hours.

I would try to make sure that at night you are giving a full feed as your bubs can go 3 hours as they are doing it during the day. Once they can go 3 hours or more you could then try a dream feed. Also try to distinguish between day and night as much as possible.

Good Luck, hope it gets better soon.