+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! When did your newborn start to sleep thru?

Hi Everyone

I need help.

I am a single mother of 2 girls, a newborn (3 weeks old) & a 3yr old. At the moment my newborn does pretty well during the day and is bottle fed every 3 hrs most of the time. However when it comes to night time, she struggles to last 1-2 hrs without waking up & wanting to eat and then from 4am onwards she usually stays awake until 7 or 8am.

I am getting zero sleep & as a single mum with my own business, I am feeling really desperate & LOW at the moment

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ummm never lol. DS is 11 months now and still doesn't sleep through. Though I only have him so I feel for you having others and a business to run

Hope you get some sleep!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

FrankieGirl  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't have any advice but wanted to offer hugs.
    I was up with my 2 every 2 hours as well and it took an hour to feed them (tandem BF).
    They didn't start sleeping longer until I lost my milk and had to put them on formula, and then it was 4 hourly stretches. They didn't start sleeping through until about 1.
    TBH I don't know anyone with a newborn that sleeps through...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS1-12wks
    DS2- is 10mths and still wakes every 1-2hrs

At that age their stomachs are so tiny that only a little bit can fit at one time, thats why they eat so often

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not that it's going to give you any comfort, but it's pretty normal for a newborn to be waking at night and needing food, their tummies are so tiny. None of mine slept through until well past 12 mths, and miss 4 was nearly two before she did
    ....sleep deprivation is so awful though, I know
    It will get better though I promise it's early days yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 3 week old too and I have been following the routines in Gina Fords book Little contented baby. We feed our girl at 10pm, she'll then sleep till 3am and then wake again around 5.30am. I know it's not sleeping through but it's manageable. Maybe you could check the book out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first baby slept through at about 12 months. My second is nine months and wakes every hour and a half. no good news from me sorry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine slept through from 11 weeks (although at 5.5 months she suddenly started night waking again and didn't go back to sleeping through til she was 8.5 months), but she was always a pretty good night sleeper - it was day sleeps we had issues with Your newbie might not yet have her days and nights around the right way but I'm not sure what you can do about that except ride it out Is there anyone you can have stay with you to help out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is 7mo and last night she went to sleep at 7:30, woke at 10:30, 2, 6 and up for the day at 8:30. So i have no idea when this mystical "sleeping through the night" will happen, lol!

It comes and goes though, the night before she woke for a feed at 10:30 then slept til 8am! Every time I think it's getting easier she throws in a few more night feeds. I'm going back to work in a week so really hoping it settles down soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mine started sleeping through at 3... Years... Sorry

Is there anyone at all who can help you out? Let you have a nap on the weekend maybe? Something? Sorry I don't have better advice.