+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dha homes on the Northern Beaches Sydney

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone has a dha house on the northern beaches in Sydney and if you found it through home find or another way ie word of mouth, through a fb site etc.

We got a last minute posting from Perth to Sydney with one weeks notice at Christmas which is fine as our family is based in Sydney and I was able to get a job in Newport and my mum has been caring for our 11month old in Newport but we have had no luck finding a house on home find that is on the northern beaches.

I have heard its really hard to get one here and most people get them through word of mouth when someone is leaving or through a fb site that I cannot find and that they are rarely ever put online on home find.

we have had RA rejected as there are available townhouses in the greater Sydney area with the closest being a 45 minute drive away from Newport. Dha does not take family in to consideration, only my husband who is the serving member so at the moment our only option is to keep staying with family or friends until a property becomes available closer to Newport.

If anyone has any tips on better ways to find a dha home on the northern beaches , I'd be so grateful.

Thanks!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd talk to the padre (Chaplain) where your DH is posting to(or more to the point, get DH to).
    Quite often they're able to pull strings with DHA that most other people don't have access to. Travelling that far when you have children would have a strong impact on your family life, and they're aware of that. You don't have to be Christian to talk to the padre, they'll help anyone of any religion, or no religion!
    He may not be able to get you a DHA house, but he may be able to get the ruling about RA overturned so that you can get a private rental a bit closer.

There is another option, get your DH to check on PMKeys, and see who he's posting in to replace. Through his chain of command, he may be able to get in touch with the person and find out when they're leaving etc. in the hopes of 'word of mouth'ing the place.
    I know that if I got an email from someone posting in to take up my job, asking when I'd be moving etc. because of the low housing, I'd be fine with it. Not everyone would though, so it's up to your DH whether or not he sticks his neck out to get in touch with that person.

I can't really think of any ideas other than that off the top of my head, but I'd say speaking with the padre would be my first port of call. I've had a couple of padres tell me that they're able to achieve things that even COs can't sometimes (and I've seen it happen with a friend at least once), so it's definitely worth a try!

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

hollya83  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply, we will be talking to the chaplain tomorrow about our case so fingers crossed he can pull some strings. I hadn't thought of that so thank you!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just saw your post, Hoping that you had some luck with the chaplain. We looked for 8months before a suitable house became available in the eastern suburbs. Can tell you that there are dha housing in north curl curl as I looked at them, too far for us. Goodluck with dha!!!