+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3, 5, 7 day method

So DS and I have started the 3, 5, 7 day method ( I put the 3,5,7 because because people differ on how long it takes) was looking for other who have tryed and had it work, we are on day 2 and had near misses DS loves to sit ob the toilet but as yet not done anything, I know once he does it we are in but how do I stop myself going crazy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excuse my ignorance.... But what's the 3,5,7 method?

I want to start dd on Tting but no idea where to start!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take away nappies and put undies on take him to the toilet every 20 mins for the first day or so, theory is it helps them learn when they need to go and the feeling of being wet, when I first heard about it I was very confused too. I found a good starting point was sitting on the toilet at nappie changes.
    Good luck

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Actually the 3 day TT method works differently, in that you DON'T take them to the toilet, as they need to realise for themselves when they need to go.

You therefore NEVER ask them "Do you need to go to the toilet?" either, as again they may become dependent on you reminding them.
    You DO however keep saying to them "Remember to tell Mummy/Daddy/Whoever when you need to go to the toilet." and you say that phrase over and over and over.

Sure, it's tedious for the first day or two- but it works. We had bigger problems with learning to feel comfortable doing poo on the toilet- that took nearly a week... but once they did it and realised they were ok, that was it.

As for your own sanity, take solace in the fact that it's only a short period of time. give yourself time out when they are in bed and allow yourself to relax. Treat yourself after dinner if it makes you happy, as a reward for all the hard work you have done.

I cheated slightly in that my boys didn't wear undies, just pants. Made changing them easier, and they found it a lot easier to go to the toilet quickly too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did 3 day potty training (took 5 days for the accidents to stop completely, but he had the hang on day 3).

First, how old is you Toilet Trainee?

The method we used was a bit different. You chuck out the nappies (as in, in the bin. In fact, you get the child to put them in the bin) and you make a big fat giant deal about big boy/girl undies, and how the child has the most important job keeping them
    dry and clean.

In the method I used u were NOT to place them on the loo. You ha to follow them around all day, watching like a hawk, and at the first little dribble, you'd go! 'OOPS! Not in your undies my little lovely! Quick! To the toilet!' or something equally positive. You also had to ask them 'you let me know if you need to go to the loo' all day. Not 'do you need to?'
    Because it was about helping them learn the feeling of needing to go.

We had pee down pat that first day, with a few accidents the second day and none the third, but poop took til day 5. We ended up buying a toy, and putting it on top of the entertainment unit and saying 'that's is ALL YOURS, all you have to do is do your poopy on the toilet'. It took exactly 5 mins from when we saw him 'get it' to him pooping on the loo. There was fanfare and phone calls to nana and we have never had an accident since that day.

Overnight took a little while, we would have an accident every couple of weeks for about 4-5 months, but we are well and truly dry now.

With my method, you also had to sleep next to them, and every time they stirred (or woke you) you asked them to let you know if they had to go.

It also took volumes of patience and never getting frustrated, even though it CAN be. It also recommended you have a partner to help with other kids/dinner etc. I had hubby home or the first day, and after that it was just me, him and his breastfed infant sister.

It felt like he would NEVER get it, and it was quite labour intensive, but in hindsight, it took 5 days and after that, I had a 2 year old who was completely self proficient at toileting. Worth it!

Now to convince him to wipe his own bottom!
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; 18-03-2012 at 08:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the advise ladys DS is 2and DH has the next 9 days off work to help out, also we will be having my 4yo nephew for a few days so fingers crossed it will work out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How'dya go??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Almost 2 weeks in and we are still trying, had a few wees in the loo but that's it, sigh I know he will get it soon.
    I just keep reminding myself Albert Einstein was 4 before he was TT