+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I suggest you prepare him that its time to give them up. I tried to gently wean my very addicted dd but eventually I had to tell her that we had given them all to my sisters baby. If you search past threads some people have great ideas about dummy fairies arriving, leaving notes to prepare for the dummy heist and the leaving notes and presents.

To be honest the first week was tough. She missed them so much. I felt awful like I had taken her best friend. Then it was over. No more asking. No more crying to settle. She snuggles with teddy bears etc so still has a comforter but no longer the dummy. You will have to be tough for a week. Cuddle him lots. Hold him. It is hard for them but at two you can reason with them when they are calm. Good luck.

Edit-sorry half asleep just read that u don't think fairies etc would work.

As for morning sickness get some maxalon! I feel for u it's awful.
    Last edited by hopefully2; 18-03-2012 at 03:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. The reasons I want him off the dummy is that he seems to getting more and more reliant on it all the time. It's his first priority. Also it really does affect the amount of words he speaks. I might have to deal with tantrums. As for the morning sickness Maxolon and Zofran don't work. I'm 4.5 months now, been hospitalized a few times and don't expect it to ease up until birth just like with my son

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was very "all about the dummy" I started by taking it off him when he tryed to talk to me, from there we worked on if he dropped it or left it I would take it away when he went looking for it I told him to find it, giving it to him if he got to bad, it did take a while but now he only has his dummy for bed time, when he gets up in the morning and at nap time he will give me his dummy, I leave it on a table and if he goes for it during the day I ask him if he is going to bed he will leave it there. Best of luck hope this helped

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We weened DS off dummies at 2. We gradually made it a nap time only thing. Then we started phasing them out of daytime naps by (and I know this sounds like a bad idea, but it worked for us) letting him get tired enough to fall asleep on the couch without it because we hadn't said it was nap time. Nap time was the trigger words for "Where is my dummy?".

Then we just started putting him down for naps without it, and then bed time at night. We'd give him cuddles and read him a story to calm him if he was really upset, but most often we'd just have to let it go. He'd rage out for about 5 minutes, and then because he was so tired he'd fall asleep without it.
    It can be hard, but sometimes you just have to be firm on it. If I caved in and give it to him we'd just have to start the process all over again.

That being said, the only reason we weened DS from the dummy when we did was because MIL kept saying things like "Are you STILL using a dodie (DS's word for a dummy) DS?". It made me feel bad, as if I was doing the wrong thing by letting him use one.
    We have friends who's three year old still runs around all day with a dummy in her mouth, and that's just fine. That's just how they roll *chuckle*. I admit, I think it may have slowed her speech. She's a smart little cookie, don't get me wrong. But she's learnt that she doesn't have to talk to get what she wants. She has a very well developed non-verbal language and there's no mistaking what she's 'talking' about.
    But she's learnt to speak without actually speaking, and I think that'll make it a little tougher on her when she goes to kindy if they haven't stopped with the dummies by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 is 2.5 years and still has her dummy. While I have raised the concept of the dummy fairy I don't think she quite gets it yet. My plan is to have my DDs dummy gone by the end of the year .... Maybe they'll go to Santa!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oops. Wrong section in my phone!!! Sorry. Hope the post edits out. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Given everything you have written I would just let him keep it. He sounds like he needs a comforter at this time and he chooses his dummy. You could perhaps try to get him attached to a toy as well so he holds toy while sucking dummy to help swap the attachment, then further down the track take away the dummy so he will still have a comforter.

We did this with DS1, always made a big deal of his toy, everyone hugs toy etc, asking him where his toy is and making sure he took it to bed etc. We always used to remove his dummy once he was asleep for the night, and when he was about 2.5 we told him that was it, when he popped the last ones we bought, no more! He was old enough to understand the no more concept even if he couldn't understand not to pop them. Since then he usually has his toy with him.

Give him snacks in the car, and lots of hugs when he is tantruming. It's a tough time when ms is so debilitating I can imagine. It's probably tough on your little guy to see his mum sick too.