+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby Holding Own Bottle

I have always understood that babies shouldn't give themselves their bottle because of the risk of dental cavities and choking etc, so have always held the bottle when giving it to DS.

He is now 9 months old and I've noticed other babies his age holding their own bottles. A few family members have even commented "can't he hold his own bottle yet?". Now I wonder if I have done the right thing?!

He can drink from a sippy cup and has done so since 6 months. He has water after his solids. He is also does really well feeding himself finger foods as we do baby led weaning most of the time.

I am just wondering if I should be encouraging him to hold his own bottle now? He is still having four a day because he is not yet having enough solids to drop any of them. He is quite fussy with bottles and food and I worry that if I wasn't holding the bottle he probably wouldn't drink as much.

It's so confusing...I thought I was doing the right thing holding it for him and giving him a cuddle while he drinks. I was very sad to give up breastfeeding at 4 months so I figured I would make bottle feeding a 'nice' nurturing experience for him but now I feel I shouldn't be doing this and that mothers are almost congratulated because they have babies that feed themselves and they're so clever????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As far as I understand it, the risk is only when holding the bottle 'unsupervised'. And as far as dental problems, that's only for prolonged use, (as in putting water and juice in there, and letting him have it all day).

I always held my DD's bottle. Like you, I was devastated to not be able to feed longer, and bottle time was my favourite moment of the day.

I would be shocked if someone said there was something 'wrong' with a baby not holding their own bottle.

To be honest, I've not heard any one say there's anything wrong with an older baby holding it themselves either.

The choking risk is largely for smaller babies. I *think* you said your bub was 9 months old? I'm not sure... I would still definitely supervise all bottles (and obviously ALL eating) but I wouldn't e concerned at this age about aspiration of his milk (personally, of course).

hope that helps
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; 17-03-2012 at 20:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey my dd is 13 months and never held her bottle!!!

She drinks out of a sippy cup no problem but just never used the bottle herself.

I wouldn't worry what everyone says, tell them you like the bonding time during feeds to shut them up ( although im sure you do)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to andthentherewerethree For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dont worry what other people say! I was the same as you, I loved feeding DS his bottle, it was our quiet time together! I think he was maybe 10 or 11 months when he started to hold it, as long as he can hold his sippy cup don't worry and enjoy bottle time with your son, they grow up so quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS had bottles until 12-13 months and NEVER held his own bottle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds stopped BFing at 12 months and I still held his bottle for him for at least another 6 months. I loved those little snuggles with him drinking in my arms. He was my one & only child though and I think if I'd had multiple children and had a busier life I probably would have let him hold his bottle on his own a lot earlier.

The issues with bubba's holding their own bottles are choking/drinking air ... but that would be tiny bubba's, not a 9 month old. And the other issue is having a bottle in bed to suck on for hours on end - that means milk is constantly in the mouth and increases the risk of cavities.

You are doing the right thing. Don't worry. I say keep up the cuddles during milk time and you hold the bottle so bubba can hold onto you

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 never held her own bottle or had any interest in trying. she would pull her arms away sharply if i tried to get her to.

DD2 holds her own but only since 12mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always held my babies bottles or them to. My ds has it when his tired and I've found if I try get him to hold it, than it just wakes him up. He feeds himself, drinks from cups, I just hold his bottles. And his 14 months old. So no, nothing wrong with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to fight my 6mth DS to hold the bottle for him sometimes, ha ha! He loves trying to hold it himself so he 'helps' mummy I wont give it up though as I am unable to b/f anymore, so still like to hang on to feed time as long as possible!

I only thought it was a risk if unsupervised anyway - for example they say you should never give a bub a bottle in bed and walk away?? Also prolonged use for dental reasons.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD didnt hold her own bottle till she was over 1.

I know what you mean about seeing other baby's the same age (or much much younger) feeding themselves like its a milestone.

I too tried to prompt DD to 'do it herself' and felt like I'd 'failed' when she didnt get it.

But now she's two, I'd give anything for those snuggle feeds again. And she feeds herself/drinks by herself just fine.

Just remember, breast fed babies NEVER feed themselves (milk). Independent suckling, from a bottle or boob, It not a milestone.

You are doing the right thing by providing your baby with cuddle snuggles while suckling.