+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Sorry to hear that you'll be on bed rest xx

The rooms and food are nicer at SJOG, it's much prettier! It has a happier/nicer vibe.
    The NICU and SCN at KEMH are world class though and the staff are brilliant - if you are extremely high risk, it's the place to be imo.
    Best of luck for the remainder of your pregnancy
    I agree with MissKitty.
    Personally I'd be more comfortable with KEMH purely because after I had a car accident while pregnant with DD2, I stayed there and they looked after me so well. I felt comfortable knowing I was in a facility that could handle anything that might happen rather than having to be transferred mid-emergency, iykwim.

But if the Doctors are happy for you to be in either hospy, then of course you will be more comfy in a private one. You'll get your own room (bit lonely tho?), better food, prettier room, etc.

I'd still stay with KEMH, but that is purely because I'm so loyal to our public health system! I think we have some of the best maternity and neonatal services and facilities in the world

Good luck making your decision. I hope all goes well for you and bubba over the coming weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Damn I wrote a long reply and it didn't post it on here..
    I had my baby at 34+4 at SJOG subi, I spend a week in there on bed rest.. I was also seeing aitken during that time as my doc was away! My doc was back for the delivery though.. It's so convenient for you having your docs rooms in the same hospital as he is able to come up if needed or you can go down there to see him..
    My experience at the hospital, with all the staff and the neonatal unit was a fantastic one.. Both my husband and I felt comfortable the whole time.. The care was great, the hospital clean and the staff caring and friendly.. Ive never had to stay at KEMH but I have been there as a visitor and the comfort and feel of st johns is much better IMO..
    I'm a very fussy eater and was happy and full from the meals provided at SJOG.
    If it were me, I would stick to the doctor you have seen all along, previous pregnancy and current as he knows your full history better than anyone else.
    Both hospitals have the facility's to cater for you and your baby so go with where your comfortable... Best of luck with your decision and your labor.. Hope bub stays in a little longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    SJOG for sure. They also have the best neonatal and emergency facilities out of all the private hospitals, although I think as someone else said, KEMH is the best for really really high risk births. However if you have to stay somewhere for a long time definitely SJOG.

Good luck, I have heard nothing but awesome things about Dr Aitkin and De Wu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I am a nurse and used to work at SJOG Subi, it's a wonderful hospital! However, KEMH has specialized facilities and they are much more used with dealing with risky pregnancies and deliveries - they have expert care available onsite 24/7...
    Both fab hospitals tho!!

Me: 34 DP: 43 DSD: 10 DSS: 8
    #1 IVF 22 wks

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all your input and advise. My doctor from SJOG just came by. We had a chat about things and have decided that I will be moving over to SJOG next Monday (depending on bed availability) .

Looking forward to a change of scenery!

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had both my babies at KEMH and they are wonderful there

Thanks
    Reviews
    It just suddenly dawned on me that I should update this thread - just in case anyone is interested, and for future reference for any other ladies facing the same decision.

I did end up moving over to SJOG at 32weeks. The midwives and PCA's are all wonderful there, as they are at KEMH. I had a private room at both hospitals, and although the rooms at SJOG are smaller, they are more homely and comfortable and it is nice being able to make tea/coffee in your own room. The TV's at SJOG are no good though! They are small and the reception is terrible. They do have movie channels, but not on continuously. The TV's at KEMH are new flat screens with two movie channels and a kids movie channel. The showers at SJOG are better and the food is out of this world! I actually miss "hospital" food!

SJOG are not as well set up for long-term patients. KEMH has a craft group that you can go to, or if you are on bed-rest, the lady who runs it (who is absolutely lovely!) will bring things to you. They also have a washer and dryer, which is very handy, especially as my husband was only able to come and visit on weekends. Having said that, they do have an antenatal morning tea at SJOG (which I only managed to go to once) and lots of antenatal and prenatal talks.

One of my concerns with moving to SJOG was how quickly they could act in an emergency situation. I did end up delivering my DS early at 34+6w. I started bleeding again and had an emergency c-section at 3:06am on 14th April 2012.The midwives acted very quickly getting me from my room down to delivery and my OB and anesthesetist (sp) arrived within 20minutes. My husband arrived while they were putting in the epidural. So, things ended up being done very quickly in the end and I had absolutely nothing to worry about.

DS spent 15 days in the neonatal units. They are fabulous there and I could not praise them enough for their care for him and for me. The night before I took him home I roomed in with him in the mothercrafting room and it was a very comforting and confidence building experience.

I think both hospitals are fabulous, but I am glad that I moved over to SJOG in the end, as I had my DD there and there were quite a few familiar faces around and I was able to stay for 8days after having my c-section, which meant I didn't have to leave DS for too long on his own in hospital.

I also want to say that the Maternal Fetal Assessment Unit (MFAU) at KEMH is amazing and I would urge anyone who thinks they are having any serious issues during pregnancy to go straight there. All three times that I ended up there, doctors and midwives were waiting for me to arrive and I felt like I was in great hands. It was very reassuring during a very stressful time.

I am so relieved that everything worked out in the end and I am so lucky to have my DD and DS. Thanks for everyones responses x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CateD For This Useful Post:

Artful  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the update Cate! That is amazing that your anaethesist got there in 20 minutes at 3am!!!

Congratulations on the birth of your son!