+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Long term hospital stay - SJOG Subi or KEMH, Perth?

Hi Ladies,

I am currently 31weeks pregnant and have placenta previa. I have had four large bleeds so far in my pregnancy, with the last being on the 5th March 2012. I was brought into KEMH by ambulance and have been told that I will now have to stay in hospital until delivery, which is currently planned for 37weeks.

My obstetrician, Dr Mike Aitken is based at SJOG Subi and I was seeing him up until I was admitted to KEMH. Dr Patrick Wu is my consultant here. I now have a choice to make. At 32weeks, I will be able to be transferred to SJOG Subiaco as they are able to deliver babies from that gestation, or I can stay here. I am just not sure which hospital would be most comfortable for a long term stay and also whether SJOG could carry out an emergency delivery as quickly as KEMH could.

I am going to try to make an appointment with Mike for next week (I will be allowed out of hospital to go to the appointment) to discuss my concerns/options with him then, but I wondering if there are any other mums out there who have been in a similar situation and can offer their suggestions? I had my DD at SJOG, but I really can't remember the rooms, food etc. Any help would be appreciated!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    ps - my question is not at all about Mike Aitkens abilities as an obstetrician. He delivered my DD and has carried out numerous other surgeries for me and I would highly recommend him to anyone! Any feedback on Patrick would be helpful though : )

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to hear that you'll be on bed rest xx
    I was on bed rest from just over 30 weeks at SJOG Subi and then had to tranfer to KEMH at 31+5 for an emergency c-section and I was a patient there for a week.

The rooms and food are nicer at SJOG, it's much prettier! It has a happier/nicer vibe.
    The NICU and SCN at KEMH are world class though and the staff are brilliant - if you are extremely high risk, it's the place to be imo.

I've had no personal experience with Patrick Wu, but I've heard good things.

Best of luck for the remainder of your pregnancy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The rooms at SJOG are so much nicer and it's alot quieter. i guess it just depends on your health cover and if you want to pay to stay at SJOG. You often still have to pay a certain amount per day to stay private.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies ladies! I have full HBF cover and have no gap with my doctor or for accommodation at SJOG, so that is not an issue. I have also already paid my managment and planning fee to my doctor over there, so if we ended up staying here at KEMH, that would be a lot of money wasted - although we obviously just want what is best, so money is taking the backseat on this decision.

I have spoken with the neonatologists here and they are confident that SJOG has the facilities to cope with a 32weeker, should that happen. I have had both steriod shots and baby is growing really well considering all the drama, so we are confident that it will be a strong little one. Also, my DD was in the SJOG SCN for a week after she was born, so we know that they are fabulous there - maybe that is why I can't remember the rooms or food, I just spent most of my time in the SCN!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't live in Perth, but I would also suggest factoring in a few other things into the mix. How easy is it for your close friends/family to visit each hospital? Is one closer to them? Is parking easier at one, rather than the other? Do you have to pay for TV/internet at both places? Is one cheaper? (that could seriously add up!)

My ds was in special care after he was born and I was very glad I'd chosen the hospital closest to my house with easy parking. If you have bub at 34 weeks you'll be doing a lot of travel to that hospital for many weeks afterwards, so the closer to home and easier to actually get to will make a huge difference if that happens (although hopefully you get to full term!).

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend had her bub at SJOG Subi at 33 weeks and they were amazing. he is now a healthy 16 month old I would personally be more comfortable at SJOG but it's definitely a personal decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think if the neonatologists are happy, then I'd go with SJOG.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the kind advise everyone I am definately leaning towards moving over to SJOG, but will leave my final decision until after I have seen my doctor over there.

I am really lucky to have a private room and to have been looked after so well here at KEMH, but a change of scenery and menu would be nice!

xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sending you my best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy journey.

If medically your ob is happy for you to be at sjog then thats where I would be choosing to stay. They have excelent nursery facilites and can also cope with a quick delivery if (knock on wood it dosen't) ends up happening.

I spent 2 weeks on bed rest in sjog subi recently and much preferred my stay there than at kemh. The care of nursing staff and docs was on the same level but its the little things that make the difference when you are anticipating a long stay ahead.

The rooms are more comfortable and the food is for sure way better. It was easy for visitors to park in the parking building to visit rather than kemh ticket parking where ever you find it. The cafe is nice to be wheeled down to and sit and have a coffee in the garden. If you aren't on complete bed rest a 5 min walk over the road and you have Subi strip but there is also a very handy woolies to pop into and get the odd thing that otherwise you would be relying on people to bring in for you.

I sound like an advertisement don't I !! But seriously, you should make your decision based on what you feel is best for you and your baby medically and sometimes your mental health and comfort level when you are facing a long hospital stay can help make all the difference.