+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If baby is breastfeeding continuously, and is still unsettled, maybe there is something else going on. Has your nurse/dr checked for tongue tie? Do you think he might have reflux?

It is normal for babies to feed 8 to 12 times in a 24 hour period, but they usually take breaks.

Having a toddler and newborn to look after is tough, triply so when the toodler is sick and the newborn is high needs. Who can you call on for support? Can you lay or sit down with both kids and watch tv or a video while you feed? Can your mum take the baby for a drive or a walk in a carrier so you can take a sleep?

Keep asking for help until you get it,

take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybloom View Post
    I have a two week old. I mix feed and it lets me get some sleep at night. There is nothing evil about topping up with formula.

As for the whole situation, BIG HUGs I have no advice but i hope it gets better really soon for you.
    I don't think there is anything evil about it either But it does compromise breastfeeding relationships. Not only will it effect supply (which will diminish as the demand diminishes, and the demand diminishes when your baby isn't working to increase it by sucking on a seemingly empty breast), many many babies (including the OPs first child) get nipple confusion and their latch on the breast changes, they fuss, they don't feed properly and so it leads to an increased reliance on the bottle.

It's an important element to take into account when considering introducing top-ups if you want to maintain a solid breastfeeding relationship.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It sounds like you're having a really tough time

I just wanted to say that perma feeding at this age is completely normal. My DD often fed for 4 hours + at a time.

I like the idea of getting set up in the living room with the TV, a mattress, drinks and snacks. Plonk your toddler in there, turn on the TV to ABC2. You can give her some cuddles etc in between feeds without having to move too much. At night or nap time I found the feeding lying down position was my saviour. Actually, could you set yourself up on the living room floor with a mattress for yourself as well? That way you could lie down and feed bubs whilst your other LO lies down (hopefully) and watches TV.

If you really want to continue BF'ing take it one feed at a time - your focus is just to get through the next feed.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First of all big hugs, you poor thing I know all to well what you are going through, my DS2 would not BF of sleep and DS1 had a real bad cold only wanted me, DH works nights so he sleeps during the day, I lasted 3 weeks when I made the choice to put him on formula broke my heart to do it I really wanted to BF but now 3 weeks on we are both a lot better for it he is sleeping I am sleeping and I have time for DS1 and DH.
    Good luck Hun I hope you can find the fix that works for you <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you are having a terrible time right now!

I think that the first thing to do is talk to a professional. Call your midwife or child health nurse or a lactation consultant (LC). Is there a breastfeeding support clinic attached to the hospital you birthed at or some access to a follow up lactation consultant appointment? If not, call your child health nurse first and take it from there. She should be able to refer you to a LC, who you should be able to see fairly soon hopefully within 24 hours of calling.

Be easy on yourself during this journey, exhaust every option you feel able to take on and try to gleam some joy out of this terribly difficult time

Feel free to PM me if you want a friendly shoulder. I've had a similar experience to what you are going through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember going through the same thing and I introduced a dummy. We had no nipple confusion as bub just knew the difference but just wanted comfort sucking. I did that at 5 days. If it's down to make or break time maybe a dummy might help?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub