+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can money buy you happiness?

It certainly can make me more happy. I can visit my family overseas at least once a year, I can go eat out with my friends once in a while, I can buy better quality toys and clothes for DS, I will be able to send him to private school, I can feed my family better quality food, I can afford a babysitter and have a date with DH...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it probably can up to a certain point.

But once your needs and a few wants are covered, I don't think it would make much, if any, difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I think it probably can up to a certain point.

But once your needs and a few wants are covered, I don't think it would make much, if any, difference.
    This ^

Sure life would be more less stressful and more fun and comfortable so that would bring you happiness. However money can't buy everything like children (to an extent), love, friendships (real ones) etc.

I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a go though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It makes life easier but once you get past providing the essentials, I say no. If that was the case there would be no unhappy rich people, and we all know that isn't true. I also think alot of money *can* (but of course not always) can make people shallow and materialistic so nothing is ever enough. Thus why wealthy people over extend themselves then say they are broke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mums partner is a millionaire. He has houses everywhere, yachts, travels the world etc. He needed a liver or kidney transplant (can't remember) so he went to Holland and got his transplant. When he came back home, he discovered that he had an infection.
    He has practically lived in hospitals for almost a year now because they can't find the infection & antibiotics aren't working. He isn't looking too good either.
    This just shows that money cannot buy happiness.
    Your health is what gives you happiness.
    I think that it's important to be able to live comfortably. To have food on the table, clean clothes and to be able to pay your bills/mortgage/rent.
    Money does cause a lot of stress but sometimes I wonder if people bring it upon themselves. Not everyone! Because some people have crap situations handed to them, but *some* people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Nope. You need enough to survive but I think people convince themselves that things and money are the only way to be happy. I grew up pretty poor but we were always happy. My parents managed the little money that they did have and are much better off than the others their age that I know. No mortgage, happily married, never fight but no need for stuff.

DP and I earned a measley wage between us in our first year together but we're not deliberately miserable like some I know who have all the overpriced handbags, clothes, house etc because we don't argue with each other and we live by my parents motto: don't buy what you can't really afford. We're happy with what we do have as opposed to what we could have.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Money isn't happiness. It makes life comfortable and easy to live, and it is perceived that money makes people happy in our society because you can't really live without money.
    I've seen people with literally nothing who are a lot happier than the people who did have money. They also loved more and appreciated what they did have. They took nothing for granted. They lived in tin sheds with a big communal fire lit every evening for warmth and to cook their food, they literally had the very basics and they were the happiest people I have ever met.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (17-03-2012),delirium  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Besides, money doesn't buy you love, family and friends. It doesn't buy you health.

Would you be happy without your friends, family and health, but instead with an ever flowing amount of money?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ... My smile is always bigger and brighter on pay day! :-D

Money can bring happiness but it's not the be all and end all. It can also bring sadness and bad stuff too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    we live by my parents motto: don't buy what you can't really afford.
    That's our motto too - live within your means. I'd rather have a 15 year old car we own outright than getting a loan for 50k that we simply can't afford. We know who we are, and a huge mortgage and car we are struggling to pay, doesn't define who we are or our worth

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (17-03-2012)