+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cost of Braces??

Hi

I got told by a dentist yesterday that my daughter (age 6) is going to need braces when she gets older (between 10 and 12). Just wondering how much braces cost. We haven't got private health insurance at this point in time but am wondering if we should take it out to cover orthidontist costs later or whether we just start saving now.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine done about 12 years ago and it was about $3000 without phi.

Not sure of the cost now, I think there is a few variations. My teeth moved back once the braces and the plate had been removed :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    From memory it's about 5k. That includes all the consults and adjustments thru the life of the braces. many orthodontists will accept payment plans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told 5-6k. With no PHI however my friend was quoted 7k and phi will cover 2k so she still pays 5k.

But I have heard in some states it's as cheap as 2-3k.

Not sure how that works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A lady i work with just paid 10 grand for Her sons braces.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine were $5500. They offered a payment plan, which was $1800 up front as a 'deposit' and then $50 a week thereafter.

The cost can vary greatly, depending on which type of braces you get, the severity of the problem, which orthodontist you go to, where you live, whether you need both arches done etc. My sister had hers done at the same time, same ortho, and her braces cost $1500 more than mine, so about $7000.

Quote Originally Posted by MumDadBoyandGirl View Post
    I had mine done about 12 years ago and it was about $3000 without phi.

Not sure of the cost now, I think there is a few variations. My teeth moved back once the braces and the plate had been removed :-(
    Did you have a bonded retainer on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A price comparison needs to be properly examined.

Braces are major dental, so there is a twelve month waiting period.
    Also, looking at the few funds I have looked at, there is a cap that slowly builds up whilst you are a member, so you might need to be a member for five years (for example) before being eligable for the maximum benefit.

I suspect if you look at it for one thing - ie braces - then it wont be cost effective to take out PHI (extras cover), but if you consider other benefits (glasses, standard dental, discounted gym membership, etc) it might be viable.

I haven't really done the math, but suspect I am worse off financially with my PHI than without it ... but without it I would be more likely to delay these necessities that I get now because I've already part-paid for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    If you teeth are bad enough and you have a health care card in Qld they are free. My dd has started the process. She has to have 2 plates for 18 mths and then the train track braces after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    If you teeth are bad enough and you have a health care card in Qld they are free. My dd has started the process. She has to have 2 plates for 18 mths and then the train track braces after that.
    But it has to be really bad to qualify (at least in Brisbane). I've been knocked back (overcrowded bottom jaw, and all four eye teeth stick out and regularly cause sores on my gums), DD2 has been knocked back (one adult tooth stuck under the gumline because there is no room for it to come through) and DD5 is a maybe. They are considering giving DD5 a plate now (which would be free) but have held off because she will need braces later (which likely wont be free) and therefore the current problem can be fixed at the same time.

Because I have multiple children needing work, I have taken out PHI and am hoping it'll be worthwhile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies for your responses!

Looks like we'd better start saving our pennies. My husband doesn't believe our daughter will actually need them but I think it would be smart to start putting money aside now just in case.