+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Safe co sleeping

Would love to hear from other parents on how they safely cosleep?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    On a firm mattress with a blanket and pillow..I don't take drugs limit myself to one glass of wine (this current bottle I opened the other night is my first in a year?) I don't take drugs, I dont smoke, I breastfeed..I'm probably classed as obese (I'm a size 14) though so oops bad mummy moment, I also usually sleep on a normal bed without guardrails but at the moment I'm rooming in with my boys so I have a mattress on the floor so not really far for her to roll from. Once I'm asleep she sleeps under the crook of my arm with my legs curled at her feet (apparently a very instinctive co sleeping position) but at the moment she is on her tummy (!!!) on her side of the bed. My partner sleeps in his own bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She has her own cot with a side down pushed against my side of bed. We fill the very small space with a rolled up doona squashed in there but realistically its not enough space to get stuck in even for a baby with a tiny head or body. We sleep with one light blanket and I don't use a pillow. I feed her on my side, then once she is asleep I wriggle down so my head is around where her belly is. this way the blanket is way below her, and even if I rolled, which I have not even done once, I wouldn't roll on her body at all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    At the moment we're trying not to bedshare because princess is so so tiny and I'm aware of how sleep deprived I am. I don't think I could roll on her, I'm SO aware of her if she's in the bed, but then I don't get quality sleep because Im checking her (and glancing at the clock!) about every half hour.

But we have -

Firm mattress
    No extra pillows
    Blankets get kicked off when she's in the bed
    She sleeps on her back
    I breast feed
    We don't drink, smoke, take drugs or any drowsy meds.
    I'm probably obese by the BMI but I have birth 8 days ago, I'm sure I'm 'allowed' to be.

AND for added insurance against SIDS (as opposed to suffocation) She has a breathing monitor attached to her nappy. because I know very well bubbas sleeping safely can still stop breathing no matter how safe their sleeping space is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks appreciate any tips as I love co sleeping!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi SugarPlumMummy,

I co-sleep but do not bedshare with my 10-month-old, as my mattress is not suitable - I sleep on a specific mattress due to tailbone issues, but that's a whole other story! I have the cot right up against my bed, so it feels as though we are lying next to each other but on different sleep surfaces. My eldest (2.5) sleeps in our bed most nights, snuggled inbetween DH and I.

Here are some great pointers for safe co-sleeping with babies, from Dr Sears website:

Safe Co-sleeping Habits

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love bed-sharing too.. And have since DS was born. I actually always used my pillow and my quilt as well (halfway down), have always been fully aware of him and am a light sleeper. Plus the no smoking, drinking and drugs thing. When he was little he never slept next to DH and was always between the wall and myself, in the crook of my arm.. Yes it was uncomfortable to have my arm
    There all night but breastfeeding every 2 hours made that easier...and u get used to it.
    DS now has his cot right up against our bed with no rail... No gaps...and he's a big 90cm toddler now I don't have too many concerns... He's still 90% of the time on our bed. I've just introduced the cot in so we can have a bit more space...but I miss him even when he's right next to me... Lolz

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of the great tips - we love co sleeping too.
    DH claims that he has always been aware of the babies in the bed too, but I can see how some DH could be heavy sleepers.
    Regardless will get DH to check out the link on safe co sleeping too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So our bub is here yay! Almost 8 weeks old and we have been cosleeping as bub hates his basinette and also has had some mucus/breathing issues.

So from reading safe sharing "rules" we are doing a big no no by bub sleeping between us. DH claims that he is very aware of bub and bub is mainly asleep right up next to me or in crook of my arm..What do you think? (there are no other risk factors either)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have one of those co sleeping beds for my newborn. It goes between our pillows. I got it at Big W and am really happy with it.