View Poll Results: Would you home birth?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home birth

19 47.50%
  • have a hospital birth?

21 52.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I respect the rights of a mother to decide where she wants to deliver her baby, and I have no issue with people who choose homebirth. For me, I was happy to have a hospital birth, with access to drugs and numerous hightly trained medical personell around to deal with any issues that could have occured. I was a young, healthy woman with an easy pregnancy and a perfectly healthy baby. I just feel that things can change so quickly, and for me I needed to feel safe in the knowledge help was at hand if needed.

This! I had a fantastic pregnancy and a wonderful birth, in a private hospital with my lovely Ob. I'm so lucky that I had a wonderful experience. I look forward to doing it all again. Although I'm a little worried that I might end up having an accidental freebirth at home... things happened very quickly with DS!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default thanks Bubhubbers

I was interested to read all your posts, just wanted to clarify that I don't have any affiliation or links to the Maternity coalition party I just went to view this doco because i was interested in the topic. It has also been nominated for a IF Award if you have seen it you can vote by going to http://vote.ifawards.com Great to see Aust film makers being recognised.
    thanks ladies for your positive thought feedback & information. I'm sure it helped a lot of people especially wish all those who are pregnant & soon to have their bubs gd luck just enjoy what ever decision you & your partner decide. I just also wanted to say that from my experience I found that at our hospital we had a breakfast to share with all new mums & they asked mum's how they felt after the birth - the most interesting thing I noted was that the mums who had an unplanned C section seemed the most upset - Why ! Maybe because things didn't go as they planned eg they really believed they would have a natural birth & they never considered that it might end up in a c section for whatever reason, their medical complications pre-eclampsia, the babies medical or just something like their body birth cannal was too small or the baby too big whatever made it impossible through no fault of their own. & as someone said these mums maybe likely to then have PND as a result of a traumatic birth. Makes sense to me. I never suffered regret over a C section or PND since I knew it was going to be the case from day 1 of my conception. I was totally relaxed and so is my baby she is just the calmest easy going child.

Thanks too to the BHubbers for explaining the difference between a homebirth eg planned birth at home as opposed to accidental or freebirth. I know of a friend who had one of those came way to quick since it was her 4th baby sure gave my other friend a fright but the Ambulance guy on the phone was a big help & it all went well. As the doco says homebirth might not be for everyone but those who are low risk should at least have another choice & it should be funded as many of the mums here said they'd like it but the cost of a midwife which wld really help lessen the risk makes many women opt for hospital or birth centres.

Also for those who live in the country giving your perspective about why you are happy to go to a hospital to be near help I totally get where you are coming from Us city folk are lucky to have hospitals & ambulances within reach to help us when things go wrong.
    hoped the poll helped give everyone some food for thought and raised awareness of the options available. cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miracle4me View Post
    I just also wanted to say that from my experience I found that at our hospital we had a breakfast to share with all new mums & they asked mum's how they felt after the birth - the most interesting thing I noted was that the mums who had an unplanned C section seemed the most upset - Why ! Maybe because things didn't go as they planned eg they really believed they would have a natural birth & they never considered that it might end up in a c section for whatever reason, their medical complications pre-eclampsia, the babies medical or just something like their body birth cannal was too small or the baby too big whatever made it impossible through no fault of their own. & as someone said these mums maybe likely to then have PND as a result of a traumatic birth.
    Many times c-sections occur due to the cycle of intervention or a failure to wait on the part of the health professional. When women believe that interventions were neccessary there is less feelings of regret, it is when people feel or realise they were duped that they get upset.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Coping with an unplanned C section

Many times c-sections occur due to the cycle of intervention or a failure to wait on the part of the health professional. When women believe that interventions were necessary there is less feelings of regret, it is when people feel or realise they were duped that they get upset
    I agree granted that some people maybe the interventions stressed them out - I'm not a nurse or a midwife so I don't know I'm just commenting on the Documentary Face of Birth" perhaps things like having a monitor might have caused anxiety or perhaps the other interventions they discussed in the Doc can have an effect on some women. But I also know that in the case of the Breakfast above the woman above had been in active labour for more than 14hours and I don't know how long one can wait before saying look enough is enough. But I do understand that there probably are less feelings of regret when people believe the intervention eg c section necessary.
    I really would hope that no DR is trying to dupe mothers that seems so unprofessional & I would like to think that Obstetricians are more honest and upfront with their patients but I guess it's the odd few that give the others a bad name.

I know my sister had a very long labour it took ages for the waters to break and after 14hours in labour at the hospital she was literally exhausted for her 1st & then 2nd time (both at same private hospital) she said break the water & my niece came without drama. My S'is just didn't want to go through that again with her 2nd so she was happy to ask for intervention or perhaps that she had experience to know what she cld & cld't have . MY Obstet even said at my c -section that if I hadn't had a c-section I wld've most likely had a long & protracted labour because something (I can't remember)was so tough to cut through maybe same reason why my sis had problems getting her water to break.
    I guess that's what everyone's saying in this post & in the Documentary that it's their body & their right to ask for whatever intervention they need be pain relief, the ability to use a pool, have your own music playing or dim the lights just so it's personal and comfortable for you. Every mum be it her 1st or 5th or last baby should have whatever they need want to make them comfortable during birth. Enjoy everything it has to offer. Embrace it. But above all be prepared for the unexpected.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miracle4me For This Useful Post:

Artful  (24-04-2012),sweetseven  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    So her punishment for being a norty woman was her baby nearly dying? Do you see ANYTHING wrong with this statement???

It actually makes me vomit in my mouth to read fellow women saying stuff like this. What about all the women that birthed in hospital and had their babies die, how do they pay the price? Or aren't they required to pay because they were 'good little women'??
    Hey, that wasn't quite what I meant at all. She is my sister, so perhaps I know the situ better than I explained here. What I should say is she went against recommendations, and mercifully, she had a team at home that got her the right help in time. The baby aspirated mecconium, ended up with an infection, and things didn't go as well as they could. So what I meant was she went against what SOME recommend and nearly lost her bub. It sucks. I wish she could have had the great homebirth experience she wanted. But the same could have happened at the hospital.

No-one deserves to pay for their decisions, informed or otherwise, with the death of a bub. I just don't think it's something that should be entered into lightly if your birth is higher risk, like my sis's. That's all. That said, I support her or anyone else to homebirth if they wish, and naturally I would support my sis would she choose to do this again. Thanks for picking me up on this, but I really didn't mean it that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Thermolicious,

For making me scrutinize more deeply what, why and how I think what I think. I wrote a glib and stupid statement that wasn't what I at all intended. The more I think about it, the worse it sounds.

I am not a toe-the-line, rules of the establishment sort of person, and the kind of rules I was alluding to were the implied, unwritten ones we all set for our personal safety and integrity. I didn't mean, nor did I say that she deserved the outcome, and I'm sorry that this is indeed conveyed by my stupid 'rules' statement. I meant it as a statement of two facts, that she went quite a way outside of parameters her own health care team set for her safety (and this is her absolute right), and nearly had a dire outcome. Next time I'll attempt not to abbreviate my thoughts into something that means the opposite of my intention.

I'm glad I made you all vomit (sorry about that) as it gives me a chance to actually look at the way I write things and how they come across, and to be clearer in the future. Cheers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say thanks to all who polled and the comments I learnt alot about things eg the difference between Home births & Free Births. I also wanted to say that it's important when commenting that everyone remember the 3 C's Compassion Considerate and Caring . I know everyone is entitled to have an opinion but to try to be aware that the people on the end of the user post is a real person with real feelings. It was interesting on the results that it was a close vote with many 1st time mums saying they's try hospital births but 2nd time mums opted to try homebirth. I guess that's the confidence of being a mum . Anyway what ever you choose it's your choice and let's all remember that the main outcome is a happy bub & happy mum.
    I just read a sad story about a guy on our mummy group that was taking home a new bub ahis 2 children without his wife. Don't know the circumstances eg if she died in hospital or as a result of something unrelated to the pregnancy just said the baby was now home a few weeks in neonatal care but that he was now anxious and wasn't sure what to do. I think that's what all our Dh or partners would worry about how would they do our job if we weren't there. Scary but I guess it happens from time to time a new baby comes home without it's mum. Or what cld be worse no mum or bub. My prayers are with every mum to be that you have a wonderful safe birth. thanks for posting on my Poll. BFN