View Poll Results: Would you home birth?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home birth

19 47.50%
  • have a hospital birth?

21 52.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Providing you are a quick ambulance ride away from a hospital able to handle the emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    Providing you are a quick ambulance ride away from a hospital able to handle the emergency.
    Exactly

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's true that midwifes are trained and eperienced IM have a vast, wealth of knowledge and skills to assist mothers to birth at home safely.

And if something unexpected happened I imagine most IM/mothers would have a back up transfer plan and could generally get into hospital quickly.

The only major thing that concerns me would be postpartum hemorrhage. It only takes what, 6 mins to bleed out through your placenta? If this happens there is not much any midwife or ambulance driver could do to save you.

Given my BMI (I am very overweight) I have been told I am increased risk of postpartum hemorrhage and so for this reason alone I would not be comfortable birthing at home.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    It's true that midwifes are trained and eperienced IM have a vast, wealth of knowledge and skills to assist mothers to birth at home safely.

And if something unexpected happened I imagine most IM/mothers would have a back up transfer plan and could generally get into hospital quickly.

The only major thing that concerns me would be postpartum hemorrhage. It only takes what, 6 mins to bleed out through your placenta? If this happens there is not much any midwife or ambulance driver could do to save you.

Given my BMI (I am very overweight) I have been told I am increased risk of postpartum hemorrhage and so for this reason alone I would not be comfortable birthing at home.
    An hour before you have a death from PPH, not 6 minutes. Most women recover with IV fluids and iron supplements the worst cases of PPH occur after a cs. I think regardless of where you chose to birth hun you need to explore this because it seems you carry a fear of it and fear during birth isn't a good thing regardless of where you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Someone can come and correct me if I'm wrong but a 6 minute bleed to death type scenario is with placenta previa, when the placenta is covering the cervix. Homebirth midwives do not deliver babies at home if the mother has placenta previa.

Otherwise women can lose more than 600mls of blood within the hour, up to 3 hours, or 24 hours. There are natural ways to slow the blood loss down whilst on the way to hospital..massaging the uterus etc. I had my third in the hospital, filled the bed with blood after he was born and nothing that they did in hospital to slow the bleeding couldn't have been done at home.

As for the ambulance ride - the distance from the hospital is something women need to take in to consideration if they're considering a homebirth. A midwife was also take the travel time in to consideration and will move a labouring mother sooner, rather than later, if they are further from the hospital.

I'm not saying that homebirth is for everyone. It's not. For various reasons it wasn't for me all three times that I gave birth even though I support homebirth 110%. There are a lot of myths surrounding homebirth though and it's important these are cleared up.

I also agree that for some the high risk is a true high risk and the hospital is the best place for them. OB's absolutely have their place, they are trained for high risk pregnancies and if I had something like placenta previa then I wouldn't hesitate to go to an OB. However, for me, someone who has low risk pregnancies and free of complications births a midwife is the right choice. I have no doubt that most OB's would look at my tiny frame and the size of the babies that I grow (9 and 10lbers) and declare that to be a problem. You have no idea the amount of times I've had people shocked that I was 'allowed' to birth a baby that size given my tiny frame when their OB 'saved their lives' by insisting on a c-section for their baby of similar size. They ask me if I have any damage etc. One woman, after her baby was delivered via c-section due to the fact that he was a WHOPPING 9lb (OB's words, not mine) he went on to tell her that he had saved her and her baby from certain death. How? He hadn't even allowed her the chance to see if she could deliver a 9lb baby. So knowing this if my choices in my area were OB in hospital or IM at home then the homebirth is definitely the safer option. It saves me from unnecessary major abdominal surgery and the emotional turmoil that would come from that (for me, how I birth my babies is a very important journey).
    I was lucky that when I was having my babies the head OB of the hospital was Dr. Andrew Bisits..a truly amazing OB. I could have chosen a free standing birth centre as well, that was started by a midwife who went on to be 'crowned' midwife of the year in 2005. But I chose the hospital birth centre because it was where I felt most comfortable. I have been to births at the free standing birth centre though and it is a beautiful place to give birth.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    An hour before you have a death from PPH, not 6 minutes. Most women recover with IV fluids and iron supplements the worst cases of PPH occur after a cs. I think regardless of where you chose to birth hun you need to explore this because it seems you carry a fear of it and fear during birth isn't a good thing regardless of where you are.
    Yeh I do accept I have a fear of this which influences my views and again reinforces that each women should be able to chose what they feel is safest for them.

Its reasurring that you say 1hr because I have been told very different to that.
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 17-03-2012 at 20:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The cause of death has not been publicly released and will be a matter for the Coroner to determine.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 18-03-2012 at 11:55. Reason: reference to modified text

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Enyala  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I have just discussed this exact issue with my midwife, as I am preparing for a homebirth and wanted to discuss all possible scenarios. My midwife (publically-funded group practice midwife) informed me that in the unlikely event of a PPH, transfer to hospital is even unlikely to be required, as most PPH in the absence of artificial stimulation of labour (ie: no induction or augmentation) tend to be slow to progress, allowing time for a number of interventions to be administered at home - including injection etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ceili For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really hope this isn't a stupid question, but I've often wondered about the noise from a home birth.... Do you go around and tell your neighbors in the days or weeks beforehand that there will be no need to call the police if they hear screaming coming from your place? Do you give them presents afterwards if you birthed at night and kept the street awake?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I really hope this isn't a stupid question, but I've often wondered about the noise from a home birth.... Do you go around and tell your neighbors in the days or weeks beforehand that there will be no need to call the police if they hear screaming coming from your place? Do you give them presents afterwards if you birthed at night and kept the street awake?
    I screamed through 2 homebirths, no one heard a thing, one during the day and another at 10:30 at night