View Poll Results: Would you home birth?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home birth

19 47.50%
  • have a hospital birth?

21 52.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have had a few scary births that would have been dangerous if i had home birthed. So i am very happy to have this my 6th bub in hospital in a few weeks.

I wish there was a free home birth with a registered midwife program was available to all that wanted one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not all women from remote communities are taken to towns where there are adequate hospital facilities four weeks before their DD. They are also not made to move if they don't want to. However a lot of these women, for various reasons, are high risk and live in incredibly remote areas and so do move into town when that advice is given. A number of communities I work with in WA can only be accessed by air, and sometimes even then only comfortably in the dry season. IF they went into labour early either they or their baby or both could die. there are no facilities if anything went wrong, no doctor or midwife on call just in case, no hospital in driving distance.

Home birth is a great idea for suitable candidates, but not as a blanket proposition and not every time.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the choice should be given back to women, none of this if you fit in the box then we will give you permission to do what you want with your body crap. My body, my baby, my birth, my choice.

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BazzasMum  (17-03-2012),Benji  (19-03-2012),Berrie  (17-03-2012),Bubbles10  (17-03-2012),Busy-Bee  (17-03-2012),Ceili  (17-03-2012),Enyala  (17-03-2012),LlamaMa  (17-03-2012),MilkingMaid  (17-03-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (18-03-2012),MsMummy  (17-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-03-2012),sunandstars17  (17-03-2012),sweetseven  (17-03-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but know some ppl involved with it and have been told its quite unbiased? There is support within the medical professional to have a champaign that will play a shortened version in hospy waiting room. I think it would be great to bridge the gap bw the two sides. Hoping to see it in the next couple of wks, goes for 2.5yrs tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i voted yes, too. But my first birth was high risk, and nothing like the home or water birth I'd planned. As the above poster said she lives too far away, here are recommendations on home births ~

If you live more than half an hour away from a hosp, if the U/s's have showed anything less than normal bub, if the mother is over 40, and her health other than briliiant, think about other birthing options. My sis tried a home birth an hour from a hospital, she's almost 40 ~ and her bub was posterior and they were both rushed to hosp. She broke these rules and nearly paid for it badly. She was lucky. But if things were all good, it would be my choice. In the bath!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am terrified of having another hospital birth, but as I am now high risk due to a 'bullied' c section and being I'll informed, I don't think home birth is an option, I would love to find a middle ground, or even better hire one of those fantastic pro women doctors on the DVD
    The points that I found interesting...
    Healthy hospital births are the bread and butter for Australian obstetrics
    Where as in the uk they would rather focus on the high risk.
    How it is safer to have one care provider throughout your whole pregnancy and there for the entirety of your birth as that person knows you and your body much better then doctors and widwices who see you for 5 minutes once a month and then come in and out of your hospital room

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I don't get the home birthing thing. After all that we go through to get pregnant , then stay pregnant , why take a chance ? I couldn't do it anyway, because I am high-risk, but who cares in the end how and where they are born. All that matters in the end, is that we end up with a baby to take home. In labour lots of things can go wrong at any given time, how good is it that we have modern medicine at our fingertips. Even if you have a hospital near by, time can be of the essence and I don't think it's worth taking any chances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't wait to see this movie- I'm mega excited about it!!!

I voted I would homebirth but I have had all mine in hospital. My first I don't think I was even aware it was an option (despite where I lived at the time has a publicly funded homebirth program), my second- again, didn't even enter my mind AND we wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway so wouldn't have been an option. My third, I tried very hard to convince my husband to homebirth- I am low risk, had great births, live less than 10 mins from a great hospital, could've afforded it then etc... Sadly he was not comfortable with it at all, which made me uncomfortable, so went through the birth centre instead (had a lovely waterbirth with the kids, mum and MIL there anyway so was very happy and I secretly like having that night with just me and baby away from the chaos at home), this preg I was definitely going to convince him to h/b, but then found out it is twins and I PERSONALLY don't believe twins are safe to birth at home in many circumstances and wasn't prepared to take the risk with MY twins.

I think the choice should be given back to women, none of this if you fit in the box then we will give you permission to do what you want with your body crap. My body, my baby, my birth, my choice.
    While the decision should absolutely be a woman's ultimately, i respect the decision by most IMs not to take on high-risk births. Like I said, I personally would not birth twins at home because I think there are too many unknowns, but after meeting with the Obs at my local hospital I can absolutely see why women do. Its so not about 'putting the experience before the baby' as some people claim. I am an educated (actually a student midwife) woman who knows about birth and knows about my body and I KNOW I have the right to refuse different interventions at hospital, but its so bloody hard when they make you feel you are putting you baby at risk. I have been told I will be induced at 37 weeks, I will have an IV cannula inserted incase I need it, I will have an epidural (incase the second twin needs to be turned/'extracted' internally, the second twin will be induced with syntocinon if he/she doesn't come out quick enough, there will be heaps of people in the room ("we try and make it private but the reality is there will be a paed, a mid, an Ob for each twin") etc etc.... When I questioned the epidural and induction I was told I need to have an 'open mind' about this birth as it won't be the same as the others... Uh, no sh!t!!!!

So yeah, excuse the rant, but if hospitals actually made women part of the decision making process, if she presented me with some info that showed these things are based on BEST PRACTICE, maybe I'd be a bit more willing to just accept it, but as it is, I can see why a woman would choose to birth at home despite the risks as right now I feel I have NO say over MY birth or my body

As for the remote Aboriginal women thing- all the people I know have had to travel to Darwin/Katherine/Gove etc to give birth, not allowed to stay on their community

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwergele View Post
    Personally, I don't get the home birthing thing. After all that we go through to get pregnant , then stay pregnant , why take a chance ? I couldn't do it anyway, because I am high-risk, but who cares in the end how and where they are born. All that matters in the end, is that we end up with a baby to take home. In labour lots of things can go wrong at any given time, how good is it that we have modern medicine at our fingertips. Even if you have a hospital near by, time can be of the essence and I don't think it's worth taking any chances.
    Thats ok for you to feel this way, the problem is when people tell other's that they should feel the same way

The birth process is very important for a lot of people, women often feel cheated if they have a crap experience and it has massive effects on their ability to bond with their baby and their transition into motherhood. Also the rise in unnecessary c/s (which don't happen at home) for first time mums, means there are a lot more repeat c/s, she will be deemed 'high risk' from that point on, and it has health repercussions for the mother and the baby, and future pregnancies.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (17-03-2012),Buttoneska  (17-03-2012),LlamaMa  (17-03-2012),MsMummy  (17-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I see yoour point but it sad that because there is no adequate system ppl who are high risk are home birthing. *edited for privacy reasons* retained placenta during her first birth so really wasn't a suitable candidate.
    From wiki
    Bodily integrity, otherwise known as physical or corporal integrity, is a concept that refers to the inviolability of the physical body. It is one of Martha Nussbaum’s ten principle capabilities (Capability approach). She defines bodily integrity as: “Being able to move freely from place to place; being able to be secure against violent assault, including sexual assault . . . ; having opportunities for sexual satisfaction and for choice in matters of reproduction”.[1]

A suitable candidate? That phrase is dripping with exactly what I was trying to point out, no one should have the right to tell a woman what they can or cannot do when it comes to birth, all women should be supported in their informed choices full stop there should not be any, only if you fit in this box criteria. That's like telling a woman she can't have a cs for non medical reasons!
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 17-03-2012 at 21:04.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (18-03-2012),MsMummy  (17-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-03-2012)