View Poll Results: Would you home birth?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home birth

19 47.50%
  • have a hospital birth?

21 52.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default the Face of Birth Documentary

A very interesting Documentary. Made some very significant points about how birth is viewed in Aust. How home births are not funded at all but yet in other countries eg UK & NZ & how in Holland home births are the norm not hospital births and how it is a best practice to allow mothers who are a low risk category give birth at home. Also raised awareness about how our indigenous mothers are treated :really sad to think we call ourselves a nulticultural society & yet the women of the outback are shipped out for 4 wks at least before their DD without support from families. So inhumane and insensitve to their culture and their needs.
    As the midwife in the movie said most home births can be a very natural relaxed and non-invasive process but that the midwives have experience & training to know when to say it's time to seek a doctors help and get the mother & unborn child to a hospital. Also many obstets supported midwives professional judgement in this area. Some even said that some monitoring equipment actually hindered rather than helped a mum i.e causing anxiety amongst the patient & what effects this could have on the baby & it's potential often to result in unplanned c seciton. I particularly liked Noni Hazelworth's account of her birth and how she felt that a hospital birth was not for her. I agree that for many women it's not & that everyone should have the right to choose what they belive is best for them.

I'm interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on the topic. I myself knew from even before I fell pregnant that I had to have a c -section due to the sugery 2 years earlier on my uterus wall. I really ummed & ahed and put off the surgery to remove a small 5cm fibroid saying I didn't want to do it because I really did want to at least try to have a vaginal birth if possible. But the repeated miscarriages made me opt to have the fibroid removed. The outcome was I still had another early term miscarriage but I got another gynacologist & he sorted out the problem. So unfortunately for me I never had the opportunity to consider other types of births eg water, home, hospital or birthing centre. But wonder now wld I if I was in the low risk category. Possibly might have had a homebirth - it does seem like a nice way to bring a baby into the world into your own home with your own comfortable surroundings and your comfy bed. I hate hospital beds - I do bring my own comfy pillow when I have to go to Hospital though - it makes me a little more comfortable shame I can't bring my whole bed. HA HA.
    BTW I gave birth to a healthy and happy DD at 38 wks mainly because our obstet who recsearched my surgery case felt it was safest option to have a c section before I went into contractions which cld cause the uterus to tear & make a very risky delivery. I am always grateful for his professional advice and calm trusting manner, I was at a private hospital & I didn't have a midwife to consult with but we spent a gd deal of time with our Obstet over the pregnancy and I was never rushed out of his rooms he took alot of time & care to explain things. he was also recommended to me by my best friend so I kknw I was in safe hands. & Even though it was a c section which is surgery that is painful that he made the c section a happy fun experience, that I was awake & fully consicous of every thing, We took photos etc . DH & I were so relaxed and happy with the way it went just wished the lights in theatre cld've been a bit dimmer for our DD entrance into the world.
    What do other mums think Would they or wouldn't they opt for a home birth? Just wonder who cleans up the mess? LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I once had a baby surgically removed from my uterus. The next time around I had a safe, strait forward birth in water in my home. An Obstetrician would not have supported me to do that so I decided not to hire a surgeon as my birth attendant.
    DH cleaned up the "mess" with a bilge pump he emptied the pool water out onto the lawn. And that was that
    Last edited by nats; 16-03-2012 at 20:46.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nats For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-03-2012),Ceili  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fully intend to have a homebirth when we have a baby

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think homebirth should be an option for those who wre suitable candidates. I believe we should embrace a system similar to holland.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default gentle birth peach on earth slogan

Oh that's a catchy phrase I think the coaltion advocates for home birth wld like that one. Glad to hear DH cleaned up the mess they are useful for stuff like that. and watering the grass is a gd way to reuse the water. Bet the lawn was perfect after that. LOL

They are saying that alot of obstets & GP's in general dont' support women who want to do home births is it scare mongering tactic? Since haven't women been giving birth to babies at home for like centuries?

It was also interesting in the Doco that one of the mums had to have an unplanned C section and she was very upset still that her perceived plans didn't go according to her plan but I like how she immediately said I"d like a quiet enviroment, not to cut the cord and nobody tell me what the baby is until I see it first" I thought that was pretty good & that she was asserting her wishes 7 glad that they were respected by the obstet & staff. Maybe if I'd seen the doco I could've asked for the big light to be turned down a tad poor DD really squinted at the lights. But she was wrapped up nicely and placed on my chest soon after the cord was cut and DH did that which was kinda nice. As I said after 4 operations, a cystectomy, an ovarian tumour resulting in an ovary & a tube removed an more surgey to correct that and a fibroid removed PLUS 5 miscarriages and a very long and painful journey to mother hood I was very happy with my outcome. Happy mum & Bub was all that I wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds interesting. Hopefully it'll be available on dvd.

I am going to have a home birth for this baby, after an unsatisfactory hospital birth with my son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really wish I'd had a home birth. Not having any more babies but if I was, it would be at home

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Its on DVD

http://www.faceofbirth.com/ This site tells you how to purchase a copy & a little info about the documentary. I can't recall the costs there are screenings of the documentary happening all over Australia at the moment Canberra is on 21st March.

The Maternity Coalition is a national umbrella organisation committed to best practices for Aust. women & they are supporting and promoting the documentary. They have candidates in the Qld election trying to promote their 5 fundamental objectives to help more woman access home births not that I'm that interested in the election mind you. But it's interesting that a party of women have banded together to raise the profile opf pregancny & birth and promote the rights of womens choices in pregnancy/birth. The world sure can do with more mothers & maybe less politics LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD's birth was very quick and straight forward, and drug free. However, I lost 2.5 litres of blood in the hours after her birth (1.5 litres straight away then 1 litre in surgery where the ob manually removed retained placenta/membranes under GA). So, needless to say, it may have been a disaster if I'd had a home birth (though we only just made it to hospital, it very nearly was an accidental home birth).

If I ever give birth again it will definitely be in hospital. I had no indication that I was going to lose that much blood after DD's birth and I would be too afraid to give birth away from medical help.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 16-03-2012 at 21:19.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Hamilicious  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I voted Hospital birth, but mainly because this is my first Baby and I want to be in a hospital to be on the safe side. As it is I live in the middle of no where so I have to travel a few hours away for my hospital stay (and a week early, which is a long time away from home and DH for me ).

If I had a home birth I'd be hours away from the nearest hospital and still hours more away from a major centre (I think in some cases they airlift people to Sydney if things get really rough, although they might have upgraded things so that's not needed any more)

If I lived in a large city, and was pretty close to a great hospital I would absolutely love a home birth. So those who feel safe doing so, I am so envious I feel really uncomfortable away from home for any length of time normally, I can imagine I'm going to be a nightmare when I'm huge and hormonal and just want my own things around me Luckily Mum is near a decent hospital so I'll be staying with her, and now I'm kind of looking forward to it