+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel systems - are they worth it?

I am a first time pregnant mum searching for the perfect pram for me. For those of you who have experience with the travel systems, have you found it worthwhile to have the capsule that you can move from carseat to pram? The pram I like best so far (Emmaljunga City Nitro) can't carry a capsule, which is making me hold back from buying it. Are the capsules good enough to put me off this pram?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agonized over this for ages, travel
    system or not... Thought for ages that it would be something I would really need. Ended up not getting travel system and realized it was definitely something I did not need. Absolutely love my pram!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm trying to work out the same - I can't decide whether I want to go down the travel system route or get a car seat and then a pram with bassinet.

The main thing that concerns me about the capsule is I know you can't leave them in it for long due to oxygen desaturation and spine development.

Sorry, not much help but I'm very interested in what other hubbers have to say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a travel system but to be honest i never really put the capsule into the pram. i did get the capsule out a lot when the babies were little but stopped after about 3 months and when i did get them i just carried it rather then getting the pram out too.

I found the capsule awesome for taking baby in and out of the house and stuff not so much for walking around the shops because its not very good for their back when they are lying in the capsule curved for hours at a time. i just used the pram as a pram and the capsule as a car seat

good luck deciding its so hard isn't it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummiemummy View Post
    I'm trying to work out the same - I can't decide whether I want to go down the travel system route or get a car seat and then a pram with bassinet.

The main thing that concerns me about the capsule is I know you can't leave them in it for long due to oxygen desaturation and spine development.

Sorry, not much help but I'm very interested in what other hubbers have to say!
    I have pram with bassinet and think it's great!! Use bassinet all the time and means when DS needs help
    settling I can lie him down and push him around the house in it until he falls asleep, very helpful!! When he grows out of it it changes to a regular stroller. I just don't think I would have gotten much use out of the travel
    system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenata View Post
    I had a travel system but to be honest i never really put the capsule into the pram. i did get the capsule out a lot when the babies were little but stopped after about 3 months and when i did get them i just carried it rather then getting the pram out too.

I found the capsule awesome for taking baby in and out of the house and stuff not so much for walking around the shops because its not very good for their back when they are lying in the capsule curved for hours at a time. i just used the pram as a pram and the capsule as a car seat

good luck deciding its so hard isn't it
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes! Best thing I bought! Cant wait to get it out for the new bub! Made my life so much easier, never woke bub up taking her in to the house or putting her in the pram. A friend who was pregnant at the same time as me recently told me she is buying one next time round and regretted not buying one when I did.
    I recommend getting a capsule that goes to 12kg rather than 9kg. A lot of people dislike travel systems because their bub's grew out of the capsule too quickly and saw it as a waste! My dd is very tall but petite and safely fitted in the capsule til 12 months.
    Personally, I highly recommend them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessC View Post
    Yes! Best thing I bought! Cant wait to get it out for the new bub! Made my life so much easier, never woke bub up taking her in to the house or putting her in the pram. A friend who was pregnant at the same time as me recently told me she is buying one next time round and regretted not buying one when I did.
    I recommend getting a capsule that goes to 12kg rather than 9kg. A lot of people dislike travel systems because their bub's grew out of the capsule too quickly and saw it as a waste! My dd is very tall but petite and safely fitted in the capsule til 12 months.
    Personally, I highly recommend them
    I agree. It is one thing I always regretted not having with DS. I have one this time around and can't wait to use it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the main capsule that goes to 12kg is the Unity Capsule and it's rated VERY poorly on the safety ratings I'm afraid. 1 star, when other capsules are 4 or 5 stars. Such a pity. I bought the stroller that fits the Unity Capsule, but never got the capsule cause of the poor rating.

We hired a capsule for our dd and I did like having it, but personally I couldn't carry it with her in it (even at birth). It was simply too heavy (babylove snap n go). Capsules with babies in them are VERY heavy, especially as bubs gets older. The travel system is good in theory if you can just get the capsule out & snap it directly onto the pram.

The main issue is that you will probably stop using the capsule by about 6 months of age (maybe longer if your bub is small), BUT you might need to use the pram for 3 years. So, a pram that works for the capsule might be not at all suited for a 2 year old for example (eg. hard to push, not much storage space, bulky to fold). So, don't choose a pram just cause it fits a capsule.

I'm very happy with my mountain buggy (urban elite - it's 5 years old now). Having a bassinet this time around was a real bonus. It was huge to fit in the car boot, but such a great way to transport bubs around the shops/etc. She could be all wrapped up, or have a nappy change, or just lie there playing quite happily without the 5 point harness interfering. Of course, now at 5 months she doesn't fit in the bassinet and she needs the harness to stop her trying to move around too much, but it was worth it. And I know that the pram will suit her for many years to come.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    I think the main capsule that goes to 12kg is the Unity Capsule and it's rated VERY poorly on the safety ratings I'm afraid. 1 star, when other capsules are 4 or 5 stars. Such a pity. I bought the stroller that fits the Unity Capsule, but never got the capsule cause of the poor rating.

We hired a capsule for our dd and I did like having it, but personally I couldn't carry it with her in it (even at birth). It was simply too heavy (babylove snap n go). Capsules with babies in them are VERY heavy, especially as bubs gets older. The travel system is good in theory if you can just get the capsule out & snap it directly onto the pram.

The main issue is that you will probably stop using the capsule by about 6 months of age (maybe longer if your bub is small), BUT you might need to use the pram for 3 years. So, a pram that works for the capsule might be not at all suited for a 2 year old for example (eg. hard to push, not much storage space, bulky to fold). So, don't choose a pram just cause it fits a capsule.

I'm very happy with my mountain buggy (urban elite - it's 5 years old now). Having a bassinet this time around was a real bonus. It was huge to fit in the car boot, but such a great way to transport bubs around the shops/etc. She could be all wrapped up, or have a nappy change, or just lie there playing quite happily without the 5 point harness interfering. Of course, now at 5 months she doesn't fit in the bassinet and she needs the harness to stop her trying to move around too much, but it was worth it. And I know that the pram will suit her for many years to come.
    Great advice, I have the mountain buggy swift, love it and will definitely get several years out of it.