+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    50
    Reviews
    0

    Default Travel systems - are they worth it?

    I am a first time pregnant mum searching for the perfect pram for me. For those of you who have experience with the travel systems, have you found it worthwhile to have the capsule that you can move from carseat to pram? The pram I like best so far (Emmaljunga City Nitro) can't carry a capsule, which is making me hold back from buying it. Are the capsules good enough to put me off this pram?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agonized over this for ages, travel
    system or not... Thought for ages that it would be something I would really need. Ended up not getting travel system and realized it was definitely something I did not need. Absolutely love my pram!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked
    21
    Reviews
    0
    I'm trying to work out the same - I can't decide whether I want to go down the travel system route or get a car seat and then a pram with bassinet.

    The main thing that concerns me about the capsule is I know you can't leave them in it for long due to oxygen desaturation and spine development.

    Sorry, not much help but I'm very interested in what other hubbers have to say!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,053
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    239
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a travel system but to be honest i never really put the capsule into the pram. i did get the capsule out a lot when the babies were little but stopped after about 3 months and when i did get them i just carried it rather then getting the pram out too.

    I found the capsule awesome for taking baby in and out of the house and stuff not so much for walking around the shops because its not very good for their back when they are lying in the capsule curved for hours at a time. i just used the pram as a pram and the capsule as a car seat

    good luck deciding its so hard isn't it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummiemummy View Post
    I'm trying to work out the same - I can't decide whether I want to go down the travel system route or get a car seat and then a pram with bassinet.

    The main thing that concerns me about the capsule is I know you can't leave them in it for long due to oxygen desaturation and spine development.

    Sorry, not much help but I'm very interested in what other hubbers have to say!
    I have pram with bassinet and think it's great!! Use bassinet all the time and means when DS needs help
    settling I can lie him down and push him around the house in it until he falls asleep, very helpful!! When he grows out of it it changes to a regular stroller. I just don't think I would have gotten much use out of the travel
    system.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenata View Post
    I had a travel system but to be honest i never really put the capsule into the pram. i did get the capsule out a lot when the babies were little but stopped after about 3 months and when i did get them i just carried it rather then getting the pram out too.

    I found the capsule awesome for taking baby in and out of the house and stuff not so much for walking around the shops because its not very good for their back when they are lying in the capsule curved for hours at a time. i just used the pram as a pram and the capsule as a car seat

    good luck deciding its so hard isn't it
    This.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    545
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    92
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes! Best thing I bought! Cant wait to get it out for the new bub! Made my life so much easier, never woke bub up taking her in to the house or putting her in the pram. A friend who was pregnant at the same time as me recently told me she is buying one next time round and regretted not buying one when I did.
    I recommend getting a capsule that goes to 12kg rather than 9kg. A lot of people dislike travel systems because their bub's grew out of the capsule too quickly and saw it as a waste! My dd is very tall but petite and safely fitted in the capsule til 12 months.
    Personally, I highly recommend them

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,100
    Thanks
    216
    Thanked
    376
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessC View Post
    Yes! Best thing I bought! Cant wait to get it out for the new bub! Made my life so much easier, never woke bub up taking her in to the house or putting her in the pram. A friend who was pregnant at the same time as me recently told me she is buying one next time round and regretted not buying one when I did.
    I recommend getting a capsule that goes to 12kg rather than 9kg. A lot of people dislike travel systems because their bub's grew out of the capsule too quickly and saw it as a waste! My dd is very tall but petite and safely fitted in the capsule til 12 months.
    Personally, I highly recommend them
    I agree. It is one thing I always regretted not having with DS. I have one this time around and can't wait to use it!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    594
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the main capsule that goes to 12kg is the Unity Capsule and it's rated VERY poorly on the safety ratings I'm afraid. 1 star, when other capsules are 4 or 5 stars. Such a pity. I bought the stroller that fits the Unity Capsule, but never got the capsule cause of the poor rating.

    We hired a capsule for our dd and I did like having it, but personally I couldn't carry it with her in it (even at birth). It was simply too heavy (babylove snap n go). Capsules with babies in them are VERY heavy, especially as bubs gets older. The travel system is good in theory if you can just get the capsule out & snap it directly onto the pram.

    The main issue is that you will probably stop using the capsule by about 6 months of age (maybe longer if your bub is small), BUT you might need to use the pram for 3 years. So, a pram that works for the capsule might be not at all suited for a 2 year old for example (eg. hard to push, not much storage space, bulky to fold). So, don't choose a pram just cause it fits a capsule.

    I'm very happy with my mountain buggy (urban elite - it's 5 years old now). Having a bassinet this time around was a real bonus. It was huge to fit in the car boot, but such a great way to transport bubs around the shops/etc. She could be all wrapped up, or have a nappy change, or just lie there playing quite happily without the 5 point harness interfering. Of course, now at 5 months she doesn't fit in the bassinet and she needs the harness to stop her trying to move around too much, but it was worth it. And I know that the pram will suit her for many years to come.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    I think the main capsule that goes to 12kg is the Unity Capsule and it's rated VERY poorly on the safety ratings I'm afraid. 1 star, when other capsules are 4 or 5 stars. Such a pity. I bought the stroller that fits the Unity Capsule, but never got the capsule cause of the poor rating.

    We hired a capsule for our dd and I did like having it, but personally I couldn't carry it with her in it (even at birth). It was simply too heavy (babylove snap n go). Capsules with babies in them are VERY heavy, especially as bubs gets older. The travel system is good in theory if you can just get the capsule out & snap it directly onto the pram.

    The main issue is that you will probably stop using the capsule by about 6 months of age (maybe longer if your bub is small), BUT you might need to use the pram for 3 years. So, a pram that works for the capsule might be not at all suited for a 2 year old for example (eg. hard to push, not much storage space, bulky to fold). So, don't choose a pram just cause it fits a capsule.

    I'm very happy with my mountain buggy (urban elite - it's 5 years old now). Having a bassinet this time around was a real bonus. It was huge to fit in the car boot, but such a great way to transport bubs around the shops/etc. She could be all wrapped up, or have a nappy change, or just lie there playing quite happily without the 5 point harness interfering. Of course, now at 5 months she doesn't fit in the bassinet and she needs the harness to stop her trying to move around too much, but it was worth it. And I know that the pram will suit her for many years to come.
    Great advice, I have the mountain buggy swift, love it and will definitely get several years out of it.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 13:37
  2. Pregnancy systems but not pregnant???
    By sweetpeamummy in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-02-2012, 07:27
  3. Sewage treatment systems.
    By Seacretsquirrel in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-12-2011, 06:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!