+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If rape was all about looks, then only sexy women wearing small articles of clothing would get raped.

I'd not let my daughter go out with her undercarriage (lol) hanging out or her nipples on display regardless of where she was going or with whom. I wouldn't let her OWN clothes like that. It's nothing to do with rape and everything to do with respecting herself and encouraging others to respect her too.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (16-03-2012),MamaC  (18-03-2012),share a book  (16-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonky Donkey View Post
    I can't read the attachment text on my phone, what does it say?
    "Q. If you had a daughter and she was going to go out to a party with guys drinking would you let her go out looking like a $|^+?

A. If the next generation has sons that are as repulsed by rape as they should be then we won't need to worry about our daughters clothing. Hell, if we just make our generation shift the blame from the victim to the perpetrator and recognize that rape is an act of violence rather than a natural hazard then we will not even notice clothing. In fact the only reason I will need to worry about my daughters clothing is if society stays this ****ed. I'd probably end up doing something incredibly violent to someone if anything ever happened to one of my loved ones and the system failed them.

So the question becomes; If you had a son and he was going out to a party with girls drinking, would you let him go knowing that one of them could be my daughter and that if he ever touched her without her consent I'd kill you?

You concentrate on raising a son that you can confidently send to a party even if you think you will die if he if he inappropriately touches a woman and I'll focus on raising a daughter full stop."

I hope that's right, lots of window swapping to type it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (18-03-2012),Mulva  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    If rape was all about looks, then only sexy women wearing small articles of clothing would get raped.

I'd not let my daughter go out with her undercarriage (lol) hanging out or her nipples on display regardless of where she was going or with whom. I wouldn't let her OWN clothes like that. It's nothing to do with rape and everything to do with respecting herself and encouraging others to respect her too.
    My thoughts exactly. We dress modestly, but that is not an attempt to avoid rape, not at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    As a mum of a now adult dd, there is now way I would allow/allowed my teen dd to leave the house like a Sl*t anytime no matter where she was going. We taught her to dress in a manner that wasn't Sl*ty. We taught her to respect herself. To have pride in herself.

Now of course we have no say in what she wears as a adult. She still choose to dress in a respectful way.

I have two pre teen dd and we already teaching them to have pride and respect themselves.

Edited to add we are teaching our sons that no matter what a girl wears/ how drunk she is that he can NOT touch her in any way unless she consents. And that being drunk means she can't consent. We are teaching them to respect not only the girls but themselves.

In No way am I saying that how you dress ever gives a man the right to do anything to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    As a mum of a now adult dd, there is now way I would allow/allowed my teen dd to leave the house like a Sl*t anytime no matter where she was going. We taught her to dress in a manner that wasn't Sl*ty. We taught her to respect herself. To have pride in herself.

Now of course we have no say in what she wears as a adult. She still choose to dress in a respectful way.

I have two pre teen dd and we already teaching them to have pride and respect themselves.

Edited to add we are teaching our sons that no matter what a girl wears/ how drunk she is that he can NOT touch her in any way unless she consents. And that being drunk means she can't consent. We are teaching them to respect not only the girls but themselves.

In No way am I saying that how you dress ever gives a man the right to do anything to you.
    Perfectly said!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not just about rape though. I never dressed like a ****. Not because I was trying to avoid getting raped, but because I have self respect. I respect myself and I ant other people to respect me as well. I'm sorry but when I see a girl dressed like a ****, I feel sorry for her.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (16-03-2012),RunningWithScissors  (17-03-2012),share a book  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    weeell...

I did dress like what you would all call a ****. I still had respect for myself. I didnt dress that way in order to get sex.

I was raped while wearing tracksuit pants, my school uniform and my pjs.

None of those outfits seemed to make me less rape-able.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say it would depend on age.0my parents stopped telling me how to dress/where to go/when to be home etc when I was around 16 and gave me freedom and more responsibility. I would be similar. Bad fashion and experimenting with cleavage and short skirts is a part of being young. I would try to discourage her but I would not be telling her how to dress, as its her body and her choice

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    What does a $lut look like?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    weeell...

I did dress like what you would all call a ****. I still had respect for myself. I didnt dress that way in order to get sex.

I was raped while wearing tracksuit pants, my school uniform and my pjs.

None of those outfits seemed to make me less rape-able.
    I agree, well said. I also don't like the term slutty. Its disrespectful imo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (18-03-2012),Ishtyban  (16-03-2012)