+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    Never said I didn't agree with the cause, just stating my experience with unions.

My sister is a nurse who is very passionate about the whole thing, and rightly so. I totally agree with pay rises for nurses (it's definitely a job I couldn't be paid enough to do) and understand the ratio issue.
    I wouldnt take issue if you stated your experience, but to talk on behalf of unions who "only care about themselves and not their members" is, well, not true. The restrictions placed on unions these days re their rights and right of entry make it really difficult for them, but they still fight for better pay and conditions and most union organisers are generally paid less than the members in their field.

If you support hetter pay for nurses, there is no way around it without their union fighting for them. The govt and employers don't give workers pay rises out of he goodness of their hearts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Whitman  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The resolution will include pay increases of between 14 and 21 per cent over four years, no health assistants, no split shifts and a maintenance of nurse-patient ratios, which was one of the sticking points in the dispute.

The dispute had dragged on for more than nine months.

Last week, the Government agreed to the nurses' demand for an independent umpire on the condition that they stop industrial action.

The ANF, the Government and employer group the Victorian Hospitals Industrial Association had committed to reaching an outcome by today.

The negotiations took place under the watch of an independent Fair Work Australia (FWA) tribunal member.

The union had been seeking a pay rise of 18.5 per cent over three years and eight months and maintenance of current nurse-to-patient ratios.

The Government's public sector wages policy is 2.5 per cent annual pay rises, with any extra gains offset by productivity measures.

So, that is the 2.5% increase - what the vic gov wanted to give them. What the union fought for over these months is what they will actually be getting - a pay increase of between 14 and 21% over the term of the agreement and a number of other wins.

My suggestion is get your facts straight before jumping on the typical bandwagon of bagging out whoever you can. Unions work hard for their members and will always do that - regardless of what your views are of their "own agendas".

Enjoy your weekend. Oh - that's also brought to you by your trusty union.
    Last edited by Whitman; 17-03-2012 at 09:50.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitman For This Useful Post:

Benji  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melting Mayo View Post
    My suggestion is get your facts straight before jumping on the typical bandwagon of bagging out whoever you can. Unions work hard for their members and will always do that - regardless of what your views are of their "own agendas".

Enjoy your weekend. Oh - that's also brought to you by your trusty union.
    My views are based on my own experience being involved with union negotiations within the mining industry. Before "switching sides" I used to work for union lawyers. I have seen it from both sides and that is how my views are formed. So no, I wasn't just "jumping on the typical bandwagon of bagging out whoever you can". Perhaps you should reign in your own generalisations.
    Last edited by Von Zipper; 17-03-2012 at 11:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think if you look at union ebas and non-union ebas you would see which workers have better pay and conditions as a whole. Not to mention all of the work union organisers and delegates do regarding safety within the indistries. I can tell you who the ones will be donating to families who have lost a loved one due to a worksite accident and it ain't the anti-union employers. In fact, I'm sure it's the anti-union worksites who continue insisting on using unsafe equipment (like soft slings) to cut costs.

I've seen it from "both sides", too and I think you will find there are passive and very staunch unions and also some pretty lousy non-union worksites who wil treat people on visas as slaves, sack unfairly, not allow safety meetings (look up 'Ark Tribe' and look up the revolting ABCC givt agency which has been set up to destroy his union and has been found to have broken several laws), allow unsafe worksites etc.