+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you let people know if your child is sick before meeting them?

I went to a Christening last weekend and when we arrived we found out the baby had gastro. We'd travelled a long way, otherwise we would have turned around and left straight away.

We were very careful but DD1, got it through the night on Monday night, I woke up to it on Tuesday morning and DS has had 'iffy but not obviously diarrhoea' nappies today and then vomited everywhere an hour ago.

The person who exposed us was someone I had been friends with for 15 years and when I told her I wasn't happy that she exposed our family to gastro and to let us know next time her baby is sick, just like we do when one of ours is sick, she ended the friendship

So tell me, if your child is sick do you let your friends and family know, regardless of the event, or do you think it's perfectly okay to risk everyone else's health for your own personal gain?

I have cancelled all of my plans for the weekend and am now just waiting for DD2 to get sick as well. Hoping DH stays healthy through it all.

Guest Guest
    Should they have told you, yes, particularly if you have young children or a baby, they share and touch everything it's hard to be careful. I'd have liked to know anyway so I can decide whether to take the kids along.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Erghhh gastro is the worst.

Seems like a bit of an over the top reaction on your friends behalf tbh.

I alway let people know if the kids are sick, even if it's just something minor because I just think it's common courtesy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I avoid contact with other kids/elderly if mine are sick, if I can't than I let others know prior to the event if I can.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's a major over reaction on my friend's behalf. I let her know when DD2 was staying home from pre-school because she was tired from having a cold all week (but all the symptoms were gone) and she told me to not go out for lunch in a public place because she didn't want her baby to get sick (and I had already told her that we wouldn't go near the baby) and I respected her wishes but apparently the courtesy only went one way.

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone else does this. Anyone I've spoken to IRL thinks it's rude that we weren't warned prior to going. I had no part in the Christening...not a god mother or anything. I had no 'need' to be there.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I keep my sick children at home whenever possible, both for their own comfort and to avoid infecting others. If meeting other people was unavoidable I would certainly tell them my child was unwell, especially if it was gastro.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (16-03-2012),kriista  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I keep my sick children at home whenever possible, both for their own comfort and to avoid infecting others. If meeting other people was unavoidable I would certainly tell them my child was unwell, especially if it was gastro.
    I agree. I actually think it's even better to keep sick children home to rest if at all possible. If more people did this, then I'm sure it would decrease the prevelance of bugs, especially in winter.

Having said that, I do realise it's not always possible. But I think people could do it more often than they do.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012),Ash93  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Absolutely. In fact, I don't leave the house for at least 48 hours after symptoms stopping if DS has had gastro. Difficult I guess as it was a Christening.

I'm not OTT and won't keep him home with a minor cold (not flu) otherwise we'd have been housebound for the entire Winters of 2010 and 2011.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS has not been sick yet, but I would be really p!ssed off if a friend knowingly exposed their sick child to mine. People should do their best to keep their germs (& kids germs) to themselves.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I always tell people. I'll even tell friends if DD has a very minor cold, and give them the option of cancelling plans if they want to!

How horrible for you. I'd be upset if someone knowingly brought their kid out in a public place with gastro, let alone without warning people. I'm guessing they thought that if they warned people then no one would come??

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Areca  (16-03-2012)