+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Window furnishings

If you could choose any type of window furnishings, what would you pick?

We are moving into a brand new house in May, it is a double story. I'm thinking shade (roller) blinds down stairs and curtains upstairs for the bedrooms.
    What do you love/hate about your window coverings?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't have any answers, but I go through this thought process constantly as ours need replacing.

Aesthetically, I like wooden venetian blinds the best for our style of house, but it is sometimes hard to use them for large double door openings etc, plus I have cord strangulation paranoia.

I do like roller blinds in the right house. They are neat and minimalist looking.

I don't mind curtains either, but our cats scale them and my son pulls on them and they have ruined our bedroom ones. Although the right curtains could avoid that.

I also quite like those panel blinds - you know the ones that are in vertical pieces?

My old neighbour had wooden internal shutters, which were incredibly hardwearing and longlasting, but expensive.

(sorry, that was just a ramble about my thoughts)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

MummyNanny  (16-03-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We have white plantation shutters on all our windows and our upstairs sliding doors. I had always wanted them and when we built this house I finally got them. Horribly expensive but I love the look

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

MummyNanny  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you
    Anyone else like to share

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we built our house, we looked at heaps of options and decided on the eco blinds from Ikea. There like an off white and look wooden but arent. Some kind of hard wearing plastic but without the cheap look! We have those downstairs and upstairs. I have made pelmets out of matching material to our couches and have then hung sheer black curtains for a bit of a curtain look. Same with upstairs in our bedroom.

Dd has a roller blind and curtains. One thing I hate about roller blinds is that you cant let light in without the whole blind being open so you can see straight in. With Venetians you can let light in and still have privacy. But block out was a must in bub's room.

Curtains are very expensive to buy and to make yourself. So I stayed clear from that option!

Plantation shutters are beautiful but wouldnt suit our home and again very expensive!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessC For This Useful Post:

blackdog  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on the application...and personal preference.

I am on a large block, with no possibility of neighbours seeing in, so I removed all window furnishings in the public areas, allowing the natural light and air to get in...as is my wont!

In the bedrooms I like nice thick wide venetians....you can open, close, or pull them up entirely for a nice airing out...and they are easier to dust than the thin version.

My BFF loves vertical blinds, but I think they look like an office building in 1988...