+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    Kind of.

When someone mentions they're a member of a fundamentalist church, it makes me wary of them.

Otherwise, no. When one of my friends told me she was Muslim my first response was to ask a billion questions as I am genuinely interested in religion in general.
    This. I did the same with the questions when I became friends with someone who is Jewish. I'm quite curious and interested as I don't know much about other religions apart from Christianity.

I'm not religious, but no. It doesn't make me think any more or less if someone if they are. As long as they are not trying to convert me, I don't care.

One of my Uncles was an alcoholic for decades before he became sober. He then got heavily into religion. I was glad. I'd much prefer him to go to Church than drink himself to death.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Not my opinion of them but the way I relate to them, yes, some of the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, it depends on the religion. I'm not going to say any more than that because I genuinely don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But yes, there are a couple of religions that make me automatically assume things about people and (probably unfairly) make me form an opinion of them before they've even opened their mouth.

It's rare though that I'd know someone's religion. It rarely comes up in conversation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. But the manner in which they preach their religion does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to say that it does with ONE religion. This sly, conniving, deceitful religion was the major cause in my sisters marriage breakdown after 14 years together! They got him when he was vulnerable. It has been about 8 years now and he is still blinded by it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course it does, just like not having a religion could effect a religious person's opinion on someone.

Personally, I don't like having to tip toe around on eggshells.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wantingtostart For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (22-04-2012),onedayatatime  (21-04-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yep, it does - both positively and negatively.

we all 'judge' ppl whether we are comfortable admitting it, we assess their character and decide what similarities/differences we have, morals, ethics, passion, etc etc.

religion falls into the above 'getting to know ppl'.

having said that, doesn't mean someone tells me they are x, I equate that to this means they are like this. They say they are x but that doesn't actually tell me WHO they are and its only over time I get to know who they really are.

sorry that probably sounds really vague so as an exmaple by hubbies is from an extremely strict, fundamentalist pentacostal upbringing. Within their family of cousins, uncles, grandparents etc - all of whom have different interpretations of their religion and are therefore very different ppl. I would say that all have kind hearts and mean well; but some of them are quite radical in their views and judgements and these personality traits I do not admire in ppl (regardless of their 'reasons'), while others are good people trying to live the best life they can with very little judgement/radical views. And then there are those someone in the middle.

My 'test' of assessing a religious person was seeing their stand on gay ppl, but even that hasn't been so clear cut when I know ppl who are loving, kind, caring but think 'gay' is wrong.

I dunno, I struggle with this so much - it was easy when I wasn't actively involved with religous ppl but now I am its very complicated.

eta: given my experience in all honesty I would be very reluctant to become romantically involved with a highly religious person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post
    No. But the manner in which they preach their religion does.
    ^^ this!!

don't care what religion, if you are religious i will judge you on who you are.
    but if you are the sort of person who preaches then i will make a hasty exit.

i have many different friends from many different countries, religions and cultures. i teach at an international school as well. it's a shame that for ALL religion there tends to be a few extremists in each that give everyone a bad rap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    Usually not. I used to date a Mormon and I went into the relationship without prejudice. I asked a lot of questions about his church and it's belief system and we often had discussions and debates. It wasn't until about 2-3 months later that my opinion of him and his religion changed and I had to end things. I just felt like he had been brainwashed and his arguments made no sense.

I'm an atheist by the way and I have a background in science.

Milky mumma since July 2011
    I dated a mormon once too. I was madly in love with him and we were together for two years. He ended up breaking up with me because I didn't convert (he never asked me to) and according to their "laws" they have to be married by the time they are 25 (he was 24).

I don't judge people by their religion at all, but if someone tells me they are a mormon I still feel that heartache and I resent that religion in a way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are there any Mormons on BH? If there are, please PM me....I have a billion questions....

I've recently become very...obsessed...with Mormon housewife blogs. They're fascinating, and I a bit curious about a few things...

Anyway, while I've already answered this thread I would like to add to my original answer: Some of these new Christian Churches like "Wave" creep me out a bit to be honest. They seem misleading and brainwash-y with a cool hipster exterior. It's a bit odd really as they appear to have pretty fundamental views. If someone told me they were a member of one of these I would feel very uncomfortable.