+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing is that though my opinion of them and my level of esteem for them may not change when discovering that someone is from any faith (whatever it may be), I will be more careful not to be casually blasphemous, as I am wont to be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm just curious to know whether ppl would look at a person differently depending on their religion? like if you knew a person, had certain opinion about them, but on finding out about their religious belief it changed it ?
    I would love to say I embrace a person whatever their beliefs but I don't.
    I harbour disdain for organised religion to begin with but I will go out of my way to avoid two in particular particular religions once I find out acquaintances, colleagues whatever are members of them.

One is actually calling for their laws to work alongside Australian laws and I am just livid about this. But what can one do in the face of do-gooders who feel that this is multi-culturalism and that in order to live in a free society that this means trashing what values we have already?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly - I have to say yes.
    - that doesn't have to be a negative OR a positive... but it may effect the type of conversation I would enter into with them, or what I would reveal about myself whilst getting to know that person.

I know a lot of people who define them self as *insert religion here* - but don't follow it down the line so I would make assumptions unless they were happy to openly talk about it.
    I know some people that are *insert religion here* just because it is a family tradition.
    I know some people that are *insert religion here*, and are extremely passionate.

Even though DP and I are non believers/non followers of any religion - DP is still 'god father' to one of our oldest friends' daughter. - his responsibility is simply to keep their DD intouch with his mate's side of the family (who is very religious, his mum is a priest).

it wouldn't be the ONLY thing to take into consideration when making a judgement on an idividual/friendship..but it would be a part of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have to think about my 'yes' response to this question - it came instantly.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like a person who I found out to have a religion, I would just be making a mental note about that person so that:

1: I mind my p's and q's so that I do not say anything offensive to them by accident...

2: I keep my beliefs to myself in conversation so that I am not the subject of their judgement or pity or whatever it is they might feel (even if they don't say it out loud).

I know from the get-go we'll never be true bosom buddies. But certainly fine to chat and laugh with and enjoy the company of (eg: I attend a church based playgroup - I am very mindful of my words there and what I disclose about myself. Otherwise, it's a lovely morning and I find those women extrememly pleasant and it's probably because they are religious.)

And I admire the good things they do in the community and I have changed myself to be a bit more generous and caring because of that example they set. Still don't want a bar of their religion though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. Particularly if it is a big part of their lives. Not as much if it is just a background thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With everything we learn about someone we subconsciously 'fashion' the way we respond to/interact with them. Like if I met a nerdy professor, I'd try to smarten up my lingo, talk and act differently to how i woud with my hairdresser... I would show more respect to older folk too, as I have culturally been taught to.
    I'm religious myself and love hearing about other religions so would probably ask a lot of questions. I do have a bias towards those who believe in a higher power as opposed to athiests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Not at all.

Each to their own.

As long as their beliefs are not being forced one me then i dont even think about it.
    This.

I am also very curious about religion but would rather read about it from people or have people tell me as i dont have the time to read different sites currently as it would help out in my line of work.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cautiously scrolled down willing my friends to not have posted "yes", I admire the honesty of those who did.

I admire the discipline a lot of my religious friends have, especially the ones who are Muslim.

I would hope people don't dismiss a friendship with me because of my religion, the thought they could generalize about me and dismiss me before truly knowing me hurts a bit.