+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does the religious background of a person effect your opinion of them?

I'm just curious to know whether ppl would look at a person differently depending on their religion? like if you knew a person, had certain opinion about them, but on finding out about their religious belief it changed it ? By changing i dont mean always in a bad way. Also regardless of their cultural background..
    I have noticed that ppl give me a slight different look or talk in a different manner when i tell them i'm muslim. and its not always bad; sometimes its just curious looks/comments which i dont mind at all and am happy to talk about my reliogion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kind of.

When someone mentions they're a member of a fundamentalist church, it makes me wary of them.

Otherwise, no. When one of my friends told me she was Muslim my first response was to ask a billion questions as I am genuinely interested in religion in general.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, but if the religious talk gets too much then yeah. I have no problem with what you believe just dont try and tell ME what to believe. Im an athiest but wouldnt stop being a frined or not talk to someone just cos of what religion they are. Just like i hope no one would not want to talk to me or be my friend because i dont believe in God etc!

I have a friend who is christion and the 'God' talk gets a bit much for me so i dont see her as much as i did. Shes still my friend though.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

starflame  (16-03-2012),SugarSkull  (20-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not at all.

Each to their own.

As long as their beliefs are not being forced one me then i dont even think about it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (17-03-2012),Maybelline  (20-04-2012),starflame  (16-03-2012),SugarSkull  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies! I mainly meant when they arnt pushing their beliefs on you and just mention they belong to a particular religion.
    I've mainly experienced good comments when ppl findout im muslim. but ofcourse there are the occasional few (''so are you all terrorists?'' is the worst one) that do irritate me . but even when no comments are given i can tell by the way a person is talking to act towards me that its baised on the fact they now know im muslim...
    And i love ppl genuinly(sp?) curious to know about islam.. my close group of friends are all from differnt religion and always ask eachother questions when we want to know more.but never let it influence our attitude towards eachother! or force our beliefs on each other.
    Last edited by OS&N; 16-03-2012 at 14:58.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Nope. I go by a persons behaviour rather than their faith or anything else.

Guest Guest
    I'm orthodox, married to a catholic and have a muslim sil and bil. I don't bat an eyelid at religion, I grew up and still live in a very multicultural area and friends/family from every corner of the globe. same same.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope! Not unless they come banging on my door..then I hate them immediately, but even then it's got little to do with the religion, it's more the fact they they are trying to 'sell' it to me by coming to my home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry that you get such an ignorant reaction to you being Muslim. I am very happy to have friends of all religions (including Muslims). It doesn't bother me at all. I read a fantastic book called People Like Us (by Waleed Ally). It was a great read about being Muslim in Australia. It really opened my eyes.

Having said that, missionaries, evangalicals and bible-bashers make me really uncomfortable. It has affected my opinion of people I have know and liked in the past, because I just couldn't respect them the same once I knew they a) didn't believe evolution should be taught in schools b) believed that people around the world of other religions needed saving (how disrespectful!). I think it was the need to force everyone else into their narrow beliefs that irked me. So closed-minded.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (16-03-2012)