+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default odds of baby being sick when born?

I had diet controlled GD. I haven't really thought about it till now my bub is being born on Wednesday via c section and now I am starting to get worried my baby will be born sick or something due to sugar levels how common is it???????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My SIL had diet controlled GD with both my niece and nephew and they were born via c/s perfectly healthy.

I had uncontrolled GD on insulin with DS (because it turns out I am actually diabetic) and DS was induced at 37w6, assisted VB and had low BSLs for the first couple of days requiring top up feeds after I breast fed him. He had a couple of hours in the special nursery the night he was born for observation but other than that roomed in with me, we left hospital with me breast feeding which we did till he was almost 16 months.

DS is and was one of the healthiest babies I have encountered. He did not get his first cold (which was minor) till after he started solids and at 2 years 4 months has never had antibiotics or medicine apart from routine vax and a bit of panadol or nurefon when teething.

Can I also add that he has been in childcare since he was 13 months and has barely been sick.

Do not stress, unless they have indicated that there is likely to be a problem I'm sure your LO will be fine.
    Last edited by davally; 16-03-2012 at 12:35.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

2ndtimemumma  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    My SIL had diet controlled GD with both my niece and nephew and they were born via c/s perfectly healthy.

I had uncontrolled GD on insulin with DS (because it turns out I am actually diabetic) and DS was induced at 37w6, assisted VB and had low BSLs for the first couple of days requiring top up feeds after I breast fed him. He had a couple of hours in the special nursery the night he was born for observation but other than that roomed in with me, we left hospital with me breast feeding which we did till he was almost 16 months.

DS is and was one of the healthiest babies I have encountered. He did not get his first cold (which was minor) till after he started solids and at 2 years 4 months has never had antibiotics or medicine apart from routine vax and a bit of panadol or nurefon when teething.

Can I also add that he has been in childcare since he was 13 months and has barely been sick.

Do not stress, unless they have indicated that there is likely to be a problem I'm sure your LO will be fine.
    thanks for the reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had diet controlled GD with DD3. She was born at 39+2, I was induced.
    She had a few low blood sugar readings on the day she was born, but by day 2 her levels were fine and she never had any other problems.

I hope all goes well with the birth of your bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced due to unstable sugar levels at 39+4, i had GD managed by insulin.

DD was born with perfect blood sugars requiring no special attention.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it has been controlled, there will likely be only minimal problems, if any. Good luck, I only know people with controlled GD and their bubs were observed in SCN for a short time but had no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I had diet controlled GD. Towards the end I had a few high readings over 7. Bub was born 3.5 weeks early, spontaneous VB. soon after delivery her BSLs were tested and low about 1.2 I think, so she was taken to the nursery overnight for top up feeds. She roomed in with me for the next 4 nights then developed jaundice and spent a night under the disco lights in NCIU. 2 weeks later she developed breastfeeding jaundice. The worst part about the whole thing was the constant pricking over her feet to get blood to check her BSLs. But it had to be done. No issues after the breastfeeding jaundice dissipated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I know this is an old thread but it might be helpful to anyone else in the same situation!.

I also had diet controlled GD and a baby born via Caesarian. As bump said the worst thing was the pricking of the feet to take blood tests, but from memory I think I only had this once as bubs sugar levels were fine when she was born so no special treatment was needed. I think if your diabetes has been under control your baby should be fine, or any treatment / observation needed should be minimal.

I have a friend who was extremely overweight and had out of control GD, probably because she didn't take it seriously and kept drinking coke and eating maccas throughout her pregnancy . Her baby was born with low sugar levels but even in that case bubs 'just' needed to spend a couple of days in special care and was fine afterwards....