+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Root canal - how much did it cost?

Has anyone had a root canal? How much did it cost?
    My dentist has told me it's going to cost the best part of $2000 and I wanted to see if anyone else had had one and what were the costs.
    (I don't have private health cover.)

Cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds about right. I had one done around 2 years ago and i'm pretty sure i paid at least $1800

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am in Queensland and am elligable to see a public dentist for emergencies.
    I had a filling fall out and was able to get a public dentist appointment for two weeks time. I thought it was a bad idea to wait that long and went to a private dentist (took three days for an appointment).
    The private dentist did the preparation work (pulp extraction) for a root canal and I think the total bill was around $140-$180, but I only paid $60 due to PHI. She also gave me a quote for the remaining work needed to complete the root canal, which came to just over $500. (That was total cost, not PHI gap.) Three more appointments were needed, 2x canals, and one for the final cap. She said it would be okay to wait the two weeks to get it done through the public system.
    I then waited the two weeks and went to the public dental appointment, and he did the first canal. It really knocked me about I felt like I was in shock for the rest of the day, and unsteady for the following day.
    A month later my second appointment came up for the second canal.
    Then two weeks later, I was supposed to have the final appointment to finish it off. But I received a phone call postponing for a further month due to the dentist being sick.
    Unfortunately, before that final appointment came up, I was eating a nectarine, and accidentally bit down on a fragment of the stone. It fractured my tooth below the gumline.
    I went to a different emergency public dentist (where you arrive early in the morning and will get seen that day) and they advised removing the tooth. They assured me that even if the final cap had been done, it would've still been brittle and likely fractured. The only way to protect a tooth that has had a root canal is to also get a crown, which costs thousands of dollars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Note: If you just simply go to the public dentist, then they'll most likely simply extract the problem tooth. However if you go to a private dentist for the first step then on to the public dentist, they'll likely continue the root canal. They will not do a crown though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    May I ask what tooth it is? Anterior teeth (at the front) are generally less because they only have 1 root. Posterior teeth generally have 4. So the cost varies.

It also depends on how much the finishing filling is, if pins are needed (due to no cusps etc) If a crown is needed, how many surfaces the filling is. etc.

I would say for a standard anterior tooth with a standard filling you could expect to pay anywhere from $700 to $1200. For a posterior tooth with a standard filling it would be $1200 to $2000. I would think $2000 plus for standard would be expensive (but not if its more then standard - standard being a 1 surface occlusal filling)

Depending on the dentist they will either compete the root canal over 2 or 3 appointments. Generally you don't have to pay the full amount up front but over the treatment period. Some dentists also do treatment plans.

Any other questions just ask. If you know exatly what surfaces, what's needed etc I could get you a pretty close to accurate quote. Generally the denitist will give you an itemised quote so you know exactly what your paying for including things like x-rays, type of filling etc.

Also. Keeping a tooth is much more beneficail then extrating. Extracting a tooth means you don't just loose the use of one but two because the top or bottom tooth it would be touching would no longer be in use. Therefore loosing a tooth can change the whole structure of your mouth and how your mouth chews, grinds, etc over time.

To replace a tooth by a plate, bridge, implant etc is a lot more expensive then havin RCT in the first place and more uncomfortable.
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 16-03-2012 at 11:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had root canal therapy last week at a public dentist as an emergency appointment. I had just found out I was pregnant so they said they can make me comfortable with therapy until the root canal in November (after I'm due).

This was for a back molar and she told me I was "lucky" and had four canals? I didnt think lucky.. I thought expensive! Lol. But she told me, I was looking at about at least $1400 for the root canal and another at the least $1000 for a cap.

But I can book in there for November for $146 and have it all done for no more than that. It only applies if you have a hcc though. I'm going to be looking into private health because we wont have a hcc for long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds about right. Root canal is usually two or three appointments. Usually costing between $1500-$2000. Well that's what it's been in my experience. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My root canal cost $2000 3 years ago. I then got a crown which was $1400. Ouch. So much money We have phi. I got $400 from them - that's what we get for major dental in a calendar year. So it was a help but didn't take a heap away from the horrid cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessC View Post
    I had root canal therapy last week at a public dentist as an emergency appointment. I had just found out I was pregnant so they said they can make me comfortable with therapy until the root canal in November (after I'm due). ... I'm going to be looking into private health because we wont have a hcc for long!
    FYI a root canal is considered major dental and typically subject to a 12 month waiting period through PHI.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It's the back top tooth.
    Thanks for all the responses.