+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anybody gotten married in a Catholic Church even if you don't attend mass?

I would love to be married in the church but i'm not sure if they will allow it since DP and i don't attend church

Has anybody in the same position done this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH and I were married in a catholic church even though I am not catholic and DH doesn't attend church (but did go to catholic school all the way through).

DH had to apply with the priest for a certificate of dispensation to marry me in the church but it was just a form. I cannot remember if we had to do pre-martial councilling or if it was just strongly recommended. We did it through Centrecare.

Just call the church you want to marry in and ask to book it, they will tell you what you need to do.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

insanity  (16-03-2012),SuperGranny  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was married in a Catholic Church and my DH wasn't Catholic, (he was baptised in the Uniting Church, so just needed to show his Baptismal certificate) but no need for a dispensation. That said, we attended the pre-marital counselling with the Father and made the promise to bring up our children in the Catholic faith.
    Due to some frequent moves, we didn't attend mass at that particular church, however the Church has a lot of significance to our family as it was my Mum's family church etc.

We chose not to have a nuptial mass as well, because we didn't want the wedding to be intimidating to any non-Catholics etc.

Insanity, Ring or visit the Parish Secretary of the Church you're interested in and tell them you're interested in getting married at their Church and they will give you the 'run down' on what you need to do, if it's viable etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

insanity  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know of a couple who are getting married in a Catholic church and they are not Catholic. She just likes the church! They do have attend classes of some description though and they did have to pay an amount of money also!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beatnik For This Useful Post:

insanity  (16-03-2012)