+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default prawns in mayo or smoked salmon

Im going to a function and have the choice of these two options for entree. I dont want to tell anyone Im pregnant until after so I kind of have to "eat' one and everyone knows I love both so it would be weird if I didnt.
    But I dont want to eat either because they are both on the dont eat list (smoked salmon or cold prawns with possible raw egg in mayo)

Im gona see how I go with just pushing it all around the plate pretending, but theres not really anything else on the plate to eat. So Im asking which do you think would be safer if I had to? or advice on how to distract people from the fact that Im not eating it?
    ps. Im 6 weeks preg so this is a crucial time for development (its so tricky not telling yet)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you order the vegetarian option and just tell people that you are on a diet. Will also be a good excuse for why you are not drinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    Can you order the vegetarian option and just tell people that you are on a diet. Will also be a good excuse for why you are not drinking.
    Thanks. I thought that too but the veg option is a parmasen cheese tart and I cant eat parmasen cheese due to my funny tummy (glutamate sensitivity). Really, what are the chances all 3 would be bad, its so annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you contact the catering company/venue and ask for a gluten free vegetarian option? Most places are pretty accommodating especially if they have notice.

Otherwise contact them and tell them that you are allergic to seafood and gluten free and see if they can offer you something else.

If push come to shove, ask for your prawn dressing on the side and just eat the accompanying salad and slyly give your prawns to your partner (if they are going) or pop them in your napkin.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

plain dreaming  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have been in the same situation before and I just said I wasn't hungry as I'd snacked a little while ago, and if i have the entree then i won't fit in dinner! LOL. it worked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't eat seafood or eggs so all options would be awful for me I'd just say sorry a don't eat the above is there any other option even a plain salad or steamed veges.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Seacretsquirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, good ideas all got me thinking. The thing that makes it tricky is its my sisters wedding (so my Mum has put in all the orders for special meals already and would know) plus Im up on the bridal table as a bridesmaid so I cant sneak it to hubby subtely,(otherwise that would be easy option as he finishes most my meals anyway).

I think I'll see if I can ask a waiter for no mayo then maybe eat some prawns or hide them in the avocado mush and munch on my bread roll until it gets cleared.

Doesnt this sound silly planning all this! It reminds me of hiding veggies on my plate when little. The things we do to keep our little secret safe

I appreciate all your effort to make suggestions to help me. Cheers
    Have a fun weekend everyone

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you say you're feeling a bit sick or something, and don't feel like seafood at the moment? Or that might make them more suspicious...may have to stick hiding it lol. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a dilemma it was my best friends sons 21st and her daughters 18th my partner pretended to add Canadian club to my can of lemonade and then he quickly had a few jelly shots and gave me the empty cups to swap out when my friend gave me a shot I slyly swapped it with the empty one and pretended. If ur partner is going just slyly pass off the things to them. Or u could say ur looking forward to the mains and will pass on the entree so u don't ruin ur appitte.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How reputable is the place you are eating at?
    I was at a wedding last weekend and our entree was a Asian salad with prawns.. The venue was a 5 star restaurant and I felt quite safe to eat the prawns.. So far so good, no ill effects as yet..

I am a bit more relaxed this time around (4th bub) but i have always used my judgment when it comes to the food side of things. I would avoid the smoked salmon definitely as well as any mayonnaise or aoli(sp?) type dressings with raw egg but prawns are my favorite food so I would find it super difficult to avoid them for the whole pregnancy.

Or you could conveniently be away from the table talking to your partner while everyone is eating their entrees? ;-)