+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, love my green smoothies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you have a really healthy diet so I wouldn't worry too much about whether you are having 5 serves of vegies or 3 or 4, as long as you're having them and a balanced diet overall. It's just a guideline. I only eat vegies at lunch and dinner too - seriously, who has the time/inclination for vegies at breakfast during the week?? Even my sister who's the healthiest person I know rolls her eyes at the idea of 5 serves of vegies a day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancermum View Post
    I think you have a really healthy diet so I wouldn't worry too much about whether you are having 5 serves of vegies or 3 or 4, as long as you're having them and a balanced diet overall. It's just a guideline. I only eat vegies at lunch and dinner too - seriously, who has the time/inclination for vegies at breakfast during the week?? Even my sister who's the healthiest person I know rolls her eyes at the idea of 5 serves of vegies a day
    Thanks for that, I do feel like where the heck will I fit it all in - I eat fresh food all day until it's just about coming out of my nose! I think too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In winter, I make a big batch of vegie soup every week & have a bowl reheated for lunch. It's a great way to get extra vegies in, & you can also have your bread with it if you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    So many non-fruity people!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that the 2 serves of fruit would be necessary if you're eating more than 5 of veg??

I just eat it for the high fibre content, esp in pears.
    Hmm, I don't know.

1/2 a banana = 1 serve.

We would easily have 2/day. Banana at breakfast time then other fruit, too. We try to eat an orange or mandarine each day as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't even come close to 5 vege and 2 fruit.

The fruit and vege is so bad where I live that if you find anything nice it goes off within a couple of days and I am not a person who enjoys cooking so getting them home and cooking them up is not going to happen.

I also struggle with most fruit because of the lap band as it gets stuck as does salad(fruit juicing is an idea but then I am warned against that by doctor because of the fructose so not sure who to believe)

When we move back to the city I definately want this to improve though.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I view the vegies as a minimum and the fruit as a maximum. I eat enough vegies, but can easily go days without fruit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The reason I have trouble with getting enough veges is I count avocado as a fruit.

Is cucumber a fruit or a veg?

If those two things (as well as eggplant, tomato etc) are counted as veg I'd be more than fine getting my 2 + 5. It'd be more like 4 + 5
    Well avocado really is a fruit but like tomatoes they are so packed full of vitamins and minerals I classify them as just as good as a veggie!!!
    I think cucumber is actually a fruit too because it's on a vine?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Only thing is I really need the All Bran if you know what I mean .
    If you want a change from all-bran, you should try psyllium husk for that I sprinkle it on yoghurt or on top of my cereal, but you can also add it to soups and drinks (smoothies etc). Works a treat! Especially if you are drinking lots of water.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think you would be fine, my naturopath says a serve of veggies is about half a cup which you would easily get then 3 serves a night, add another serve with some salad in your sandwich at lunch and maybe just add either carrot/cucumber sticks with dip for morning/afternoon tea or even avocado on rice cakes to get your 5th! DS and I love raw peas so sometimes for a snack we peel and eat a cup of peas!
    This ^^^. I work with dietitians who also say 1serve=1/2 cup. If you're eating mainly veges for tea surely that's at least 1 1/2cups/3serves worth?

For lunch I guess it depends on how much salad you eat with your sandwich. I have an open sandwich (I.e. only one piece of bread) with salad and protein on it and also have salad on the side.