+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    maybe taking leftover veg dish for lunch? Or making veg fritters etc.

I find it hard re veggies as well.

But legumes count, so you could have bean salads etc.
    just be aware that apparently when you use the legumes as a protein supplement supposedly you can't count them as a serve of vegetables, they're either protein or veg apparently.

OP can you just chuck in a raw carrot here and there, even ssome broccoli florets maybe with some hommos or spicy lentil dip? That's a few more serves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not even close!

We eat veggies at dinner time and thats it. Don't know how you are supposed to fit 5 serves in! Especially when my kids are at school all day and Im pretty certain they wont eat a bowl of steamed zucchini fro brekky!
    I always make 3 different veggies, but thats 1 sitting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bit of a tip lol. Do you have a slow cooker? What I do is make a big meal in the slow cooker, then just cook something else for that night.

Or, when I make potato bake/pasta bake/lasagne, I use those individual foil trays with the lids and cook an extra 2 smaller portions in those, then just put the cardboard lid on and stick it in the freezer. Imagine just being able to pull one of those out for breakfast! Having cereal is only a fairly recent thing, a meal like veg lasagne in the morning would be great. With the potato bake, I make it with sweet potato, too. Also throw in onion, mushrooms, capsicum and spinach.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I actually eat more veges than fruit. I love veges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Only thing is I really need the All Bran if you know what I mean I could have omelette for morning tea I guess instead of the fruit! That could work.

And DiamondEyes, I should take a multi. I'm slack lol.

Mmmm dip with veg. We have that on weekends, guess I could pack some along with the 50 billion other things I pack each morning and snack on those. Sounds yummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To be completely honest I don't eat healthy enough.

I want to ask those of you that do, what is your shopping budget each week? We always eat lots of salad or veg with our main meal but to feed a family of 5 its so expensive for us to eat so healthy throughout the whole day.

We don't snack on junk foods more like lots of bread and cheese and fruit (not enough) etc. Not enough fresh produce.

So any tips to eat that healthy and keep the food bill down, we are on a really strict budget.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I eat more veggies then Fruit. I get a good 5 serves a day but I can go over a week without eating fruit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think your diet sounds pretty good Benji.

I used to eat enough veges, but not lately. I need to work on it, because I feel much better when I'm eating right. Plus I've just gone back on the pill and can feel myself getting a little more 'cuddly'!

I have a fast metabolism, but if I don't watch what I eat the weight creeps on and I get to a point where I totally overhaul my diet. I am almost at this point now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lately I have been making rice paper rolls. You can pack veg in there.

Or you can get hommus and have it with carrots, celery, cucumber etc
    good snack for work.
    Any dips you like really.

Making a salad for work or a veg/cheese roll.

Getting a juicer and making veg juice or veg/fruit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Ditto, I've always loved vegies and spent most of my teen/young adult life as a vegan. But, for example, one bowl of salad or steamed vegies is likely to be 1-2 serves! Still have to fit in another 3-4 somewhere. And with dinners my plate is FULL of veg, but I still think it would only be the equivalent of maybe 2 serves.
    I think you would be fine, my naturopath says a serve of veggies is about half a cup which you would easily get then 3 serves a night, add another serve with some salad in your sandwich at lunch and maybe just add either carrot/cucumber sticks with dip for morning/afternoon tea or even avocado on rice cakes to get your 5th! DS and I love raw peas so sometimes for a snack we peel and eat a cup of peas!