+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Question Do you eat enough vegetables?

Just thinking about my diet and I realised how difficult it actually is to have 5 serves of vegetables per day whilst being at work for most of the day.

I know I eat more than enough fruit, but I don't think I eat enough vegetables and can't really see how to do it! Help!

I know DS has enough as he's 5 years old and only needs 2-4 serves of vegetables and he'll snack on carrot sticks, celery and baby spinach until the cows come home. But me......

So, in the mornings I'll wolf down breakfast and pack lunches for everyone. Goes something like this most days (I eat more on weekends when home):

Breakfast:
    all bran with strawberries/blueberries
    almost a litre of water on the way to work

Morning tea:
    yoghurt
    apple or pear

Lunch:
    wholemeal sandwich with salad, avocado, turkey or chicken

Afternoon tea:
    nuts
    maybe another piece of fruit

Dinner:
    varies but the bulk of the plate is made up with vegetables

I'm probably eating too much fruit (berries, apples, pears, avocado)... avocado is a huge part of my diet lol. When I think about it, even though I'm trying to include salad with lunch and mostly vegetarian dinners, I reckon I'm only eating maybe 3-4 serves.

How the heck do you fit it all in?

Do I need to be crunching on horse carrots like DS does all day lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    maybe taking leftover veg dish for lunch? Or making veg fritters etc.

I find it hard re veggies as well.

But legumes count, so you could have bean salads etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you make an omelette for breaky? You can put spinach, peas, corn and onion in it.

Take a salad wrap, could also use spinach on that.

Make some zucchini slice to have cold at work.

Just a few off the top of my head.

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope I dont. I have recently started eating veg all through the day. Even some for breakfast otherwise I would never make the 5, I rarely do anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ever since DS was 6 months every night I make either a huge bowl of salad or steamed veggies with flax seed oil garlic and lemon , depending on what I have in the fridge but always try and have at least 5 types , mainly so if DH and I didn't eat enough during the day we do at night and to make sure DS knows that eating veggies every day is normal ( veggies are usually: broccoli, carrot, corn, peas, beans, asparagus, beans, cauliflower , zucchini or bok Choy and salads always at least have lettuce/spinach/kale or rocket plus normal salad veggies)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    maybe taking leftover veg dish for lunch? Or making veg fritters etc.

I find it hard re veggies as well.

But legumes count, so you could have bean salads etc.
    plergh, I've heard that about legumes.. too bad they taste like cardboard. We do have them in dinners occasionally but not as often as we should.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Can you make an omelette for breaky? You can put spinach, peas, corn and onion in it.

Take a salad wrap, could also use spinach on that.

Make some zucchini slice to have cold at work.

Just a few off the top of my head.
    I was just thinking about omelette, it'd be bloody hard to make in the mornings as I'm already a nervous wreck getting everyone ready and out the door in time, might need to think about making big batches of stuff on my precious weekends *cries*.

I think a salad wrap would basically have the same amount of veg as my salad sandwich, plus I need the 2 slices of wholemeal breat because, um, I have issues lol. I do like wraps on weekends!

Sometimes I do take leftovers but... well... often there are no leftovers lol. We eat until things are gone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Ever since DS was 6 months every night I make either a huge bowl of salad or steamed veggies with flax seed oil garlic and lemon , depending on what I have in the fridge but always try and have at least 5 types , mainly so if DH and I didn't eat enough during the day we do at night and to make sure DS knows that eating veggies every day is normal ( veggies are usually: broccoli, carrot, corn, peas, beans, asparagus, beans, cauliflower , zucchini or bok Choy and salads always at least have lettuce/spinach/kale or rocket plus normal salad veggies)
    Ditto, I've always loved vegies and spent most of my teen/young adult life as a vegan. But, for example, one bowl of salad or steamed vegies is likely to be 1-2 serves! Still have to fit in another 3-4 somewhere. And with dinners my plate is FULL of veg, but I still think it would only be the equivalent of maybe 2 serves.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What you're eating sounds healthy to me! Do u take a multi vitamin?

I dunno, i wouldnt stress about it, when you think about what you could be eating, im sure over half the population arent being as healthy as you already are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (16-03-2012)

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely do, I love veges. I will usually have some asparagus with lunch, and least 3 types with dinner and maybe some carrots with a snack? I love omelettes and grate carrot and zucchini into them along with mushrooms or spinach.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the opposite, I get plenty of veggies but not enough fruit. One of my favourite snacks is hommus with veg sticks (celery/carrot/snow peas) - is that something you could snack on? When I worked, I used to cut the veggies up at night for the next few days.

Otherwise you could do a veggie frittata for your breakfasts in advance and just freeze ahead to save time in the morning.