+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about Losec

Paed has just prescribed Losec for my DS2 (aged 4mths) and I really know nothing about it other than its an antacid.

I'm too scared to look it up on Dr Google so was hoping anyone with some experience could enlighten me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It worked wonders with DD, why are you too scared to google it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ... Double post ...
    Last edited by Me&MrMagoo; 16-03-2012 at 06:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was a life saver for ds ... I hated giving him meds but it was the best thing for him ... I would avoid the suspension and get the tablets ... The suspension is renowned for not being very stable ...

You need to google it do you know what you're giving your son

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one here, Losec was prescribed for my 6 week old, she was on it for 14 weeks, and it helped all of us so much! We were on the suspension, but yes, very instance... I was very hesitant about 'medicating' my baby, but we were desperate and going out of our minds, and we had nothing to lose, I thought to myself I can try it, if it doesn't work, we can take her off it! Give it at least 3 weeks to work and if you and bub aren't happy you can stop. Good luck... xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Losec was a wonder drug for us too. It honestly saved my sanity. I started it when DD was 7 weeks old and we continued until 8 months. Apparently there is no long term side effects and they take it for as long as they need it!
    We used the tablet as well because I had heard varying things about the liquid plus it wasn't available at my pharmacy.

We used it in conjunction with thickner and positioning and all those other reflux tricks!

Sometimes the dose needs adjusting a few times, we had to increase the dose twice before it worked for DD!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was on Losec from 8 days old. He's now 4 months old and still on a fairly large dose as well as Zantac. The meds (as well as my dairy and soy free diet) are managing his reflux well.
    We dissolve the tabs to administer the dose rather than use the suspension. Our DD was on the same meds for her reflux. We tried the suspension and it was expensive and lost effectiveness after a couple of weeks. The tablets are more stable.
    The NZ reflux website "cryingoverspiltmilk" has great info about all the different reflux meds. Worth taking a look at!
    HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Losec is a lift saver!

Avoid suspension if you can, it's very unstable & short shelf life.

J lived on it for a long time till he moved to zoton.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Losec is proton pump inhibitor, it suppresses the acid from coming up. You may not notice a great difference til around 1-2 weeks on it. If used right it will really help with his pain.
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies, I guess I just needed some encouragement before I started my research.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Dr has also suggested commencing solids to assist? Not too sure about this as it seems a little too early. I'll see how I go on the meds first before I start with any foods.

Thank you all again!