+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    wikipedia like google knows everything

angry at something that does not exist - because clearly we are all stupid for not believing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've only slapped that label on myself in the last few years because I have become some what passionate about NOT having a belief in the major modern religions' deity/ies, and am concerned about the impact those beliefs are having on society in general.

Although I do find these and past religions of interest in a cultural sense.

I like Richard Dawkins' scale of 1-7 (re agnosticism)

It irks me when people class Atheism as an actual religion

..when it comes to 'woo stuffs' - I have claimed to have seen ghosts at times in my life (was under the influence of drugs at the time ) ..I have had my cards read out of curiosity and maybe tweaked the words from the medium's mouth to suit my life and the direction I wanted it to take ... and I do enjoy a good reiki healing from my Mum every now and then, but that is because it is a two hour long massage, and massages (especially with warm bamboo) feel sooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooood!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    People who don't believe in god.

I don't consider myself atheist, but I am not religious. I don't believe in creation, heaven, hell, the devil etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm atheist and I don't believe in god - that's how I tend to define it, someone who doesn't believe in a god or gods.

I'm not 'angry at god' because I can't be angry at something that doesn't exist...
    I'm atheist,
    I dont believe in a god or any form of an higher power.
    I also agree with the above....
    Can't be angry at something I don't think exists....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can only comment from what I believe atheism is from my outside perspective, but to me I'd assume someone calling themselves an atheist doesn't believe in a god, higher power, spiritual being of any kind - probably wouldn't believe in ghosts etc

I'd also assume someone who's an Atheist probably believes in what they can see, touch, and prove - probably 'believes in' science. (as in, I don't assume someone who's an atheist 'believes in nothing' or 'is angry at god')

But I can't 'define' atheism myself because I'm not atheist & I won't define someone else's beliefs & values - but thats just what I think or assume.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm atheist in terms of not believing in god/s or anything associated (heaven/hell/etc).

I do somewhat believe in ghosts and other supernatural things, as a lot of stuff happens that defies explanation. However I like to think that there is a scientific explanation for these things that are simply beyond human comprehension... for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i agree that an atheist doesn't believe in god(s).

i think supernatural beliefs are not relevant as supernatural/religion are not linked imo. supernatural tends to fall more into beliefs and science categories.

i'm with you op, i consider myself a heathen.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To me, I disagree that you cannot call yourself an Atheist if you don't believe in god but do believe in something spiritual.
    I'd probably say that I was an Atheist; I don't believe in "god" or "a god" or in a man named Jesus who lives in heaven and looks down on the world. I do, however, believe in the afterlife, in spirits. I don't think that there is just plain old nothingness when you die, I believe our souls move on, live on, somehow. I believe in angels, also. I believe that angels are the spirits of people who have passed and that doesn't automatically link with a God, ot Jesus, IMO. But, based on the dictionary definition, an Atheist is a person who does not belive in "God". So yes, I'd say that that would make me an athesist.
    This is just my *personal* belief, based on my experiences in life. I have nothing against anyone who does believe in God, I was baptised and am technically a Catholic. My family are Catholic. I think religion is a beautiful thing and respect other people's choices and beliefs.
    I also do not claim to be "right" in my beliefs; I just think what I think, based on, like I said, my point of view and past experinces.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 16-03-2012 at 12:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    An athiest is someone that doesn't believe in god(s). Spirituality is completely separate to this. I guess you can't assume everyone will define *their* athiesm in the same way; theism isn't expected to hold only 1 definition.

I'm an unquestioning athiest, but I'm very spiritual.
    Last edited by MaybeBabyNo2; 16-03-2012 at 12:39.