+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need Perspective and Help!!!!

Agnes is in year 2.
    This year her teacher seems to be quite strict and there are a few issues.

I dont know if they are not that big a deal...or what to do about them.

So I will list them and please offer advice....I can tell you I have double checked every story and other kids have verified the stories.

1. She was taking pictures of all the kids, and told Agnes she didnt have a good smile and that her photo was not nice.

2. she writes agnes name on the board and she never knows why.

3. when agnes hurt herself she pretended to bite it, to make it worse..and then got out scissors to operate.

4. she eats twisties and BBQ shapes for lunch and chips and mars bars for lunch. If a teacher comes in , she hides it.

5. the kids are not allowed to talk on the bus and if they do they get lunch detention...its a 25 min bus ride to swimming.

6. Agnes is terrified of upsetting her teacher. She had a mental breakdown because her knickers were not named and she was so scared of the teacher.

7. Agnes's class is in charge of assembly this monday and Agnes and 2 other kids have nothing to do. Agnes thinks this is because she is a bad child...surely they could give her something???

Heeeeelp.
    i have checked every single story..and they are all true...well verified by children who dont hang out with agnes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice, sounds awful and heartbreaking to think your child is being singled out, hoping you get some advice on how to approach this.

Hugs to you and your little girl. X

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (15-03-2012),Ishtyban  (15-03-2012)

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would honestly go over the teachers head and ask them to keep it to themselves, so speak with the principle or is there a year 2 co-ordinator?

Express your concerns and ask if any other parents had mentioned anything. Ask if this is approved behaviour and question if maybe the teacher is being too strict. Its hard because every teacher and child is different but she sounds like she only knows how to control children through fear and to me that is a lack of teaching skills...

Sorry I could not help. I can only really speak from having been the kid not the parent.

Thinking about it maybe it would be best to approach the teacher and tell her your concerns and see what she says. If you dont feel you have been listened to then go over her head???

5. The Following User Says Thank You to futureherder For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (15-03-2012)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds awful. I'm going through similar stuff with my sons teacher this year, I'm going down to the school tomorrow to talk to a couple of teachers and perhaps the principal.

I think it's really important teachers are pulled up on stuff like this, as sometimes they maybe old jaded teachers who need a kick up the bum, or teachers who are just not fit to be teachers, and surely you will not have the only child affected, and if parents stand up and let the school know what they think, if enough of you do, there willl become a pattern for that teacher perhaps.

Even if your daughter is the only one affected, it will mean a lot to her that youcare so much to stand up to her teacher on her behalf. She'll appreciate that immensely I'm sure, to know youare 1000% behind her.

And if you show your displeasure about certain discipline methods, you may be adding your voice to the chorus, and they may be phased out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    what a bish. i would confront her and report her to the board of education! no child should be afraid of their teacher, she is out of line. maby even move class? poor thing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bokkie_wotwot For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (15-03-2012)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah yes, that was the other thing I was going to suggest, to get her moved to another class if possible, it is fairly early in the year really, and having a bad teacher can be simply awful to have to endure for an entire year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much.

She also has nicknames for the kids, does not call them by names.

Agnes, is Messy girl..how demeaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a teacher and you have every right to be concerned. A teachers role is to provide a safe and caring environment for their students. It sounds like this may not be happening. In regards to lunch- is that what the teacher is eating? I guess she is an adult and has a right to eat what she likes, however it is not ideal to be modelling this to kids. I always appreciate parents coming to me first before going higher, as it gives me an opportunity to listen to the parents concerns and see if it can be addressed first. Sometimes I am unaware of concerns because as a teacher, if no one tells you, you often don't find out (not that I am using this as an excuse for your issue). Can you organise a meeting with the teacher first- and then if it is not resolved I would go higher. I wish you all the best, teachers like this really make me cross

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She calls your daughter 'Messy Girl'? That'd be enough for me. She'd be getting a smack in the mouth from me. What a toad.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Ash93  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too would be concerned by this behaviour! Me personally, I am thinking I would go straight to the Principal. I would be concerned that if I went to the teacher in the first instance then that could be detrimental to the child in case she singles her out even more?!? I would also raise the possibility of her changing classes...

This is said with me having no experience with the school system as we have only just started our schooling life this year!

Hope you get this resolved and would be interested to hear how you go!

Goodluck!

x