+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Roaming is ok if you dont really use it! I was with 3 when I was overseas last year and it was free to receive calls, but the surcharge was added to SMS which cost me a bucket load! Try and find out what your plan is!

Vanuatu is one of my fave holidays. We went there for our honeymoon and stayed at Erakor Island. Lovely snorkeling. Yes get reef shoes - they don't really have sand!

People are lovely, food and goods can be pricey and if your bringing anything shell related back don't get anything with seeds on it - I lost some lovely bracelets due to having seed embellishments that I had no idea about!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

bpac  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we stoped in port vila while on a cruise in nov 2010, it was really humid and quite warm. we were told on the ship not to really bother exchanging money as most, if not all, places would take aussie money.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

bpac  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are staying in port Vila, the flaming bull does an absolutely amazing steak. And the waterfront bar also does great food with amazing views and decent prices.
    Ask at your hotel (or bus driver or even a local) when 'cruise ship day' is... All the shops/stalls put up their prices on these days, and bartering is just not done.
    Last time I went in 2010, they were selling prepaid mobile cards everywhere, but Internet, mobile etc is still very expensive given the lack of infrastructure there. I've never had a need to use either.
    I have never been with kids but favorite places to visit were hideaway island (snorkeling), Mele cascades (waterfall) no need to go on an organized tour, just get a 'bus'... Though not sure how you would enjoy these with a bub. Likewise the fun buggy tours are awesome fun, but not sure I'd take a little one.
    You can take the ferry over to iriki and use their pools etc and they have kids pools, playground etc there. You are supposed to pay a fee and you get a voucher for that amount to spend their on food/ beverage etc or you can say you are a guest and they won't charge you.
    Take bug spray!!! Mozzies are mad!
    Take a basic first aid kit and tampons etc as that is all very expensive.
    And if you are rich, the active volcano on tanna island is a once in a lifetime experience, but you need to fly there and stay overnight to see it.
    I can't think of much else at the moment but have fun!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and money wise, I found cheapest option was actually to avoid foreign exchange places in either country and just get cash out there - they have anz ATMs and that was the best fx rate we got.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Westpac and ANZ have branches in Port Vila. For money we normally just get some Vatu out of the ATM for paying for buses, taxis and small things and the rest of the time we use credit card (like in restaurants). AMEX, Visa and m/c are pretty well accepted.

We normally go to the supermarket and get some supplies (like snacks, soft drink to mix with our duty free grog). We like the Bon Marche (french supermarket chain) that is not the one in the centre of town near the market as its bigger and has better variety than the one next to the markets.

Take aeroguard and stingose. The sand flies are vicious. Also take lots of sunblock and after sun lotion as I got sunburnt one trip and found it hard to find after sun lotion.

Duty free alcohol is really, really cheap but buy it in Port Vila not at the airport.

Definitely go to the Cascade Falls and take swimwear as you can climb them and swim in the waters.

We generally use our mobiles on international roaming and just text. Talk to your provider about your options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Thanks everyone. Someone told me they posted a box of snacks for Thier kids to where they were staying a couple of weeks before they went cos it was cheaper. Is it that expensive to go to that effort?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Thanks everyone. Someone told me they posted a box of snacks for Thier kids to where they were staying a couple of weeks before they went cos it was cheaper. Is it that expensive to go to that effort?
    Absolutely not! Snacks are not that expensive. At the fruit and vege market you can buy bags of banana chips (which taste like regular chips) for next to nothing. You can also buy lovely fresh fruit there that is cheaper than home.

Normal supermarket food costs about what it does here. A nice three course dinner for 2 with wine there will cost around $100-$150 depending on where you go. However places like Chilli in the centre of town do great specials.

Just do stay on at your resort on days that cruise ships are in port because the vendors treble their prices (but they are very open that they do it).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

bpac  (17-03-2012)