+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When would you be concerned about language/speech development?

I know Im prob over paranoid but i thought id see what others opinions were. My 16month old DD really doesn't talk much. She always been quiet, which has prompted people to get her to see someone. Compared to a lot her age she doesn't say much. She says daddy, uh-oh, she has said star before, not really anymore. Shes not really consistent with words, uses them once or twice then doesn't want to say it again. She doesn't really say mummy. She tries to count to 1 2 3. We also have DOCS involved over some silly person that complained about something they had no idea about, not knowing the whole situation. Our DD looks up to her big brother who has autistic disorder and is non verbal, so she tend to copy the noises he makes. Im worried that DOCS is gona blow this out of proportion and gona make a big deal out of it. So is it ok she doesn't talk much. When did your LO's start talking. My sister told me my niece was the same as my DD at this age and now she can talk your head off. When should you start to get concerned? I just really want to assure DOCS that it is normal and that they don't need to make it a bigger deal then it really is. Any advice, tips would be much appreciated. TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh honey big for you.

My 15.5 month old DD is exactly the same, she says "Dadda", "Mumma" and "Bye Bye". She's not huge on understanding language either -- she can't follow instructions (like "Go get the red ball") -- she just looks at me and smiles . But I'm not concerned at all and at this stage I really don't think you should be either.

I'm no expert, but does your DD mimic you in other ways? This is how I can tell my DD is perfectly fine and that she's an observer rather than a doer or a talker.

My DD didn't crawl until after she turned 1, didn't walk until 15 months and I'm not waiting for her to talk any time soon. I'm sure yours will be the same. Their first word will be a sentence and then they will never shut up .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my dd was the same...i had her hearing tested and she failed the test. She is now having regular tests and they have found that she has an issue with some tubes in there which leads to her hearing being intermittent.

Hearing tests are free with a referral....

I would not be overly worried...but, if you are at the GP or health nurse...it might be worth grabbing a referral and just make sure she can hear you.

DD is now 18 months and has a few extra words but understands very well.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My nearly 15 month old only says "mumma" but she understands a whole lot of words. I'm not worried at all and I say that with some authority on the matter as my DS has/had quite a profound speech delay. He didn't really start talking until he was 3 and has had and is still having lots of speech therapy and we've held him back from starting prep for one year.

I probably wouldn't worry unless they don't make any progress in the next few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My friends son didn't start taking till about 18 months. He could say mum and dad but that's about all he started going to speech therapy and was saying a few more words by 2. All children are different. To some kids it's wry normal.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I should add, before you consider speech therapy you need to rule out any hearing issues. If you want to do this you need to go to your GP to get the ball rolling to get a hearing test done (from memory I think you need to get a referral from them).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't really talk until I was 4, if that helps you feel better! Apparently I was just waiting until I knew the exact right thing to say. I'm still like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does she understand what you say? I think this is much more of an indication than her not talking. DS didn't talk until 21 months (he had two words) and now had a much larger vocab than most of his friends. DD on the other hand is only one and already says five words. They are all so different.