+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default baby 19 month old - never had interest in food, underweight

My daughter is now 19 months old and has NEVER had an interest in food. We have been battling this considerably for the past year. On the percentile chart for weight, she is below the 3rd percentile. In fact, she's sitting below the actual shaded curve for the percentiles. She currently weighs 8.3kg. Her height is fine, sitting around the 35th percentile.

She has been having regular visits to the doctor where we've been monitoring her weight. She is not losing weight, she just gains it ever so slowly.

She has always been and still is breastfed, she never took to formula or baby food. She always eats portions of what we eat, and we make sure to have food with decent iron, vitamins, etc.
    One paediatrician suggested she come completely off breast milk in case she was using milk to fill her up. But my wife does not believe this to be the case. She has feeds before going down to sleep and when she wakes up, but she's not drinking enough to fill up. It's more of a comfort thing.
    She will come off the breast in order to eat.

The problem is when she eats, she has the tiniest portions. No matter what time of day or whether she's just had milk. It takes us an hour to feed her about one heaped tablespoon worth of food. We're very lucky if she has up to 2 tablespoons worth of food in one meal. She used to eat less, but now that we've started getting desperate to get food into her, we've started bribing her with every bite. Have this bite, and you can watch something on the ipad. Finish this and we'll go to the shops. On and on it goes. Half the food she just keeps it in her cheeks and it takes forever for her to swallow it. The bribe technique caused an initial jump in her weight, but still very slow to increase. We've tried the whole "if she's hungry, she'll eat" thing, but it's now at a point where her weight is so concerning, she needs to eat now or who knows she might end up getting tube-fed in the hospital or something.

It's like she was born without tastebuds. We've had two sets of blood tests done, with no problems aside from her iron being borderline. Her doctor isn't worried about her iron at this stage (as long as we focus on iron-rich foods), and we have been giving her a daily Incremin syrup which has iron and other vitamins specifically for kids her age.

I suppose I don't expect anyone to have any real answers, but it would be nice to hear from others in the same boat. It's just extremely frustrating. Half the other kids her age are these formula-fed overweight monsters that eat whole apples and chug down a whole cup of milk in one sitting. If I give her cow's milk, she'll drink 1cm worth (in a typical baby cup) if I'm lucky. Usually she won't finish it.

I almost forgot to mention she is perfectly fine otherwise. She's hitting her milestones, communicates, is very active, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firsty id just like to mention, i dont really know what your going through as ive got good eater but a couple of things stood out to me in your post.

Firstly, when you say spoonfuls, does this mean YOU feed her?? If so, give her the spoon and let her feed herself. Maybe she wants to do it herself?? Also, have you tried making a plate of snacks, bite-size pieces of fruit, bread or anything she can grab and out in her mouth? If you have this plate ready to go then she can pick all day when she wants. Give HER more control over what shes eating. I know if I tried to feed my 15 month old he wouldnt eat.

Secondly, dont let your wife be told its because of the breast...she is perfectly fine to be having breastfeeds and like you say, its probably NOT filling her up. As for the cows milk thing, have you tried putting Milo in it?? Or have you tried another sort of milk (soy, rice, almond), maybe she doesnt like the taste.

I can imagine how worrying this is for you and your wife. Good luck with it all and i hope you get the answer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kn ow exactly what you are going through minus DS being under weight. He never had any intrest in food what so ever. Now I might get shot down for my advice, but it worked for us and he was NEVER underweight. He loved his bottle. I would offer him food, if he refused I would give him formula so at least I knew he was getting something... This went on until he turned 2. Now he is a pretty great eater consindering. He eats breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea and sometimes dinner and hasnt had a bottle for weeks. All you can do is try and offer ot to them, you cant force it otherwise they'll just not like food at all.

With DS we found he loved yogurt, so if he wanted it, we just gave it to him so that he was eating something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Breastfeeding has kept your daughter happy and healthy and gaining weight, stopping this prematurely would be giving you more problems.

I would keep offering food, lots of finger foods and letting her play with food and she might start to ingest more. Let her eat off your plate, eat with her when she eats/plays or at least sit down with her when she eats. Offer grazing plates so she can grab something if she feels like it.

I don't know if the bribery is helpful long term, but understand that you feel like you have to do something. Can your GP refer you to an occupational therapist or other therapist who works with kids with food issues? I know prem babies or other kids who have had alot of tube feeding or other interventions often rebel by refusing food, and there are programs to help these kids learn that food can be fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think giving up breastfeeding could be the worst thing for her - it's probably one of the few sources where she's receiving essential vitamins including iron.

I'm not an expert when it comes to this as my DS has been generally fussy but a good eater but I was the same as a baby until we moved to Hungary and I just fell in love with Hungarian sausages. They never had to worry about my weight from that day on.

Is there ANYTHING she loves? Be it bread, oats, carrots? I'd focus on her weight for now and ensure she fills up on things she WILL eat and just offer something she won't eat on the side and keep persisting.

Perhaps even a toddler formula *as well as* breastfeeding?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How is your daughter sitting on the breastfeeding grow charts? If you go to the breastfeeding section there's a sticky of them from the WHO website. Another things would look at is if she has had any trauma to her mouth? Was she suctioned at birth at all? I have seen a video clip of food therapist discussing this ina majority of children he is treating so it might be worth looking into therapy for her if that might be the case. I'll also jump on the don't stop breastfeeding bandwagon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a lot to add, but I agree with the ladies who said not to stop breastfeeding

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

Prizm  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi my little one is 17months and only just 8kg so i know exactly how u feel about having a tiny little toddler. The only difference is that mine lovessssss food and i mean loves it she would eat all day if she could. she won't touch milk and from about 10months refused breastfeeds she had bottles for a few weeks and then started to refuse all milk.

She has seen peadiatricians, dieticians and sees our GP every month for a weigh in and health check. she stopped gaining weight from about 4 months to 10months then gained about 1.4kg from 10 to 16months and now she is just gaining at about 100grams a month if we are lucky. She's been tested for everything under the sun and the only conclusion they can come to is that she just has a super fast metabolism.

As for advice i agree with a previous poster about offering her the food and not trying to feed her. my DD has done BLW from the start and would refuse to eat if i tried to feed her. She feeds herself everything very well. she doesn't eat quiet as much as she used to but she still loves food. her favourite things are yoghurt, tuna mornay, arrowroot bikkies, home made chicken nuggets and sausage rolls. her dietician has told us to add cheese to anything we can so we try to give her a lot of white sauce for example.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tutu & Lulu For This Useful Post:

Prizm  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI, I have a 22 month old boy the same, he does not eat. But, we have been investigating and he has severe reflux (not spewy), duodenal ulcers and is iron deficient. So there could be an underlying cause for your little one. We have a fabulous gastroenterologist that we see and he at this point is not worried about the eating as we have a reason. Its nothing to do with filling up on milk or bf or ff. anyway just thought I'd share.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

Prizm  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot for all your replies, nice to know there are some others in the same boat.

Yes, we generally feed her because she simply won't. We'll leave her a spoon and bowl and she'll either ignore it, or use the spoon to tip the food out. She never shows any interest in using the spoon to feed herself.

We try all variety of foods, and occasionally she'll pick off our plate what she wants. We constantly offer her finger food throughout the day, like fruit, raisins, grapes, etc. If we make her a cold Milo, she'll have maybe 2 teaspoons. We've also tried soy milk. It doesn't matter what we present, she still eats the same small amount.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the breastfed baby chart, I'll have a look into that.

Thanks again