+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, Jen We are on a cancellation list but I think we will also call a bit to check. I like the idea of observing and keeping a list while we wait and taking it to the paed as Ds is very shy. We were also thinking of asking his teachers to record observations as we want to know exactly how he behaves at daycare and take it to the paed. I work there but not usually in his room and occasionally when I'm in his room he acts differently cause mummy is there. There could already be a list of observations I'm not aware of so I'll ask them. I guess we can use the wait as a positive and gather as much info as we can to maybe speed things up a little bit

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    It's completely understandable you feel this way *hugs* I lost the plot when both of my boys were dx
    I really appreciate your understanding and support. Thank you *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just keep going the way you are until you see the pead.

I do find with dd, if she is not looking at me shes not listening. You may already do this, but if not, when nothing is working get down to his level and look him in the eyes and in a slow monotone voice tell him what you want to. Make sure you keep it as short and simple as possible, too many words get lost in translation.

if hes doing naughty negative behaviours for attention, dont look him in the face turn your head slightly, and try to keep calm. With DD she throws herself to the floor when she wants to go in one direction and she wants another. Her therapists said to not look at her, hold her arm in the air without pulling on her (makes it uncomfortable, but doesnt hurt) and just say stand up please. wait a a min if shes not up repeat until she gets up. It is slowly getting better and shes also getting up alot quicker now. Fingers crossed it stops soon though. Some ASD kids will do things for attention regardless of if its negative or positive.

They also dont have that switch for appropriate things to do at different times. Eg: Play fight with daddy, they dont understand that is just a daddy thing and just when daddy says so, so best of daddy play fight time turns into hide and seek or other non cantact games (I only used this eg as it is a thing with dd atm. She is hitting alot, but having play fights and sword fights with dad, she doesnt understand that hitting ds over the with a plastic gun is wrong.)

You can get through this. You will get through this. Best case senario is that at the end of the journey you will know that DS is developing neurotypically for his age or that there is ASD which in my opinion is just as good as neurotypical. Your DS is a very lucky boy to have a mummy and daddy like you. Please also remember if he gets a dx he is still your ds and he has autism. Autism does not define who you are anymore than being shy or having blue eyes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to onkybear For This Useful Post:

Johanna82  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    *hugs* Kristy, Thank you I know we will get through it. Strangely enough I woke up this morning with a sense of peace and I'm not feeling quite as impatient. I just look at him and feel how much I love him, and the funny thing is I feel like I've become more patient with him in the last week and that has in turn helped his behaviour. Not that I was yelling at him heaps before or anything, but I was getting quite frustrated at times. All of this has allowed me to step back a bit and in turn he has been less defiant and we only had one tanty today which is a great step. Thank you for your advice I'll definitely take it on board

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How have u been going johanna? Hows your little guy doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    How have u been going johanna? Hows your little guy doing?
    We have been good...things seemed to have settled down a bit I guess we are just waiting for the initial appointment with the paed. Still confused though as not one other person we know sees any issues with DS apart from the director and his teacher. The weird thing is that his teacher says hes not great with his letters, numbers, shapes, and colours but we know he knows all of them! Little things like that make me wonder what's going on. He seems to act differently at daycare than at home.

Anyways they are recording observations so we can take it to the paed. The initial shock has settled down and I guess we will find out in due time. I think the biggest thing for me is if he is autistic, as a mum how could I have not known? Am I not meant to have an instinct that hes not developing in the usual way? Yes his speech was a bit delayed, he is very energetic and has no impulse control at times but he's 3. We are either in denial or he is just a bit more full on than most kids.

Either way we love him so much and since I've started dealing with his behaviour in a calmer way, by getting down to his level and explaining/ reasoning with him more hes been getting much better. He can sense the second I'm stressed and his behaviour becomes more difficult to handle so being calm and patient is the key.

I'm not as scared of the fact that he could be autistic as I was initially, if he is then I realise he is still exactly the same sweet, loving boy that he always has been he might just see things a bit differently. I've got lots more reading to do but for now we have taken a step back just waiting till we know more.

Thank you so much for checking up on us, it feels so good to know we have support :-)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanna82 For This Useful Post:

Veve  (28-03-2012),Zombie_eyes  (29-03-2012)