+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    one of the things that was said to me about other kids having the behaviours too is it is normal when they have one or two but to have the whole list is not always asd but should be checked out. for example:

johnny - spins numerous times a day, flaps, no eye contact, toe walking and doesn't speak

mikey - toe walks and spins every now and then
    jo - doesnt always make eye contact

Whats normal for one is not normal for everyone. ASD is such a huge umbrella. And EVERY ASD child is different with different stims and different levels.

If you have any questions please ask - pm me if you would prefer

Kristy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to onkybear For This Useful Post:

Johanna82  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 3.5 yo sounds similar to yours, but he's born in September so doesn't start prep til 2014.

After a lot of agonizing, we decided against seeing a paed. But maybe we'll revise it in the future. No one in real life has ever mentioned autusm. If people with relevant experience, like in your situation have, I would probably reconsider.

we are also considering an independent alternative private school with the rationale that it may be more tolerant, inclusive and flexible than main****** school.

Please update later on as I'm interested to know what the paed says.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Johanna82  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If his birthday is June, and the daycare don't think he is ready socially, emotionally etc. to start school, then why not hold him back until the following year? He might mature, 12 months is a long time for a child's development.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-03-2012 at 19:51.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Johanna82  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess my thoughts were that at the moment he is in a class with some kids that are almost a year older than him and I'm wondering if he is just a little young hence the developmental and social issues. But he had a friend who is more than a year older than him over today and they seemed to play together so well so I'm really still confused.

If he gets into Steiner next year he would be in pre prep anyway cause their system is a bit different. We thought this would be a great school for him before the meeting so this has confirmed our decision.

I need to stop doing my head in over it really. All I know is that since all of this I've become alot more patient and that is helping his behaviour already. We will start the process and deal with it more when we know.

Thanks to all the helpful and supportive replies! Will definitely update once we've seen the paed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Working for a national autism services organization and counseling parents every day - I would suggest just going to a paed anyway.... You'll need to go to a gp to get a referral but it's worth it for your peace of mind Contact your states Autism Association to get a list of paeds in your area that specialize in autism I have found in my experience that if you don't, then you'll probably always wonder

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (20-03-2012),Zombie_eyes  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will definitely take him, Mum2EandR. The GP is booked in for tomorrow to get a referral. Like you said we would always wonder if we didnt. And if he started school and struggled and we found out later that he does have autism knowing we could have helped him earlier we would really regret it.

I still can't help going around in circles until we know though. I guess it's just completely unexpected but I realise that we got told this for a reason so we can't ignore it. We have a strongly recommended paed, but will do some more research and see if he is the best person to see...

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Go to your GP... and in the meantime read "raising your Spirited Child" and "Kids, Parents and Power Struggles" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka.

They are brilliant books and have helped me greatly with my 'Spirited' but not special needs 7yr olds... and also my almost 4yr old... who like you, we are seeking second opinions about for his behaviour.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Johanna82  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we saw the GP and we got a referral... Made an appointment but we have to wait till August. I had no idea the wait was so long

I asked her opinion as she has known DS for a year or so...she said apart from him being more energetic and bubbly than usual she can't really see anything that stands out but suggests going to the paed for peace of mind.

Anyways I guess the waiting game is on! In the meantime we might do some reading so we know how to deal with his behaviour a bit better...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found a long wait for even a private paed as well. There must be a real shortage of developmental paeds in Brisbane. When the child health people gave me the list, there were only about half a dozen or so, from memory.

I would try the Spirited Children book in the meantime. I ordered mine from the Book Depository, as it didn't seem to be readily available in the book shop or library. I have just started reading it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jo, you may have more luck on the Gold Coast getting into a paed.

I was able to get an appointment with one at the start of the month (a 2 week wait from when I called) which I ended up canceling as I was able to get into the paed we had after delivery even more quickly.

Not sure if that is any use to you but worth a try.