+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had multiple surgeries as a child, and i wouldn't hesitate to let my children go under if it was for an actual medical procedure.

Breast implants, or a tummy tuck, not so much (i suppose, at 17/18 i'd consider a breast reduction if they had gigantum boobs though).

But most drs i've talked to rarely suggest surgery unless its genuinely necessary - and i'd still freak out, and double guess myself, but i'd be ok with saying yes. - with some imput from my kid/s, but that would depend on their age of course as well.

[necessary! - that certainly means no genital surgery, unless genuinely warranted ]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had DD have an Adenotonsillectomy 2 months ago (18 months old) after she suffered severe tonsillitis every 2 weeks from 7 months old.

Hardest thing I've ever done was watching and holding her when they gave her the general.

So glad we had it done though. She doesn't remember it and recovered SO quickly. Also she can eat "normal" toddler food now and gets a real sleep every night instead of constant waking from inability to breathe properly.

Also, I haven't needed to give her panadol/nurofen or AB's for 6 weeks and I'm so happy about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think I'd agree to anything with a solid medical reason. I'd need to meet and trust who was doing it though, and would expect full disclosure. If there are options, I'd try to go with the lowest risk / least invasive.

DD got her daddy's killer long eyelashes but the pay-off was that she got his ears too - they stick out. I think it's adorable but I'm sure she'll hate it when she's older. I don't think I'd agree to her getting them pinned unless they're really bad as she gets older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I wish my parents had made me get braces! I was told I should get them when I was 14 and I just refused ( i thought they looked bad ) so they just let it go, I've had trouble with my teeth for the last 20 years , DH had braces at 15 and he has beautiful teeth , that's one thing I will insist if DS needs them as it will definitely lead to problems later on
    I've been told dd might need them by about 11 and she already told me she wants rainbow ones lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anything that was absolutely medically necessary, or as a pp said - to improve quality of life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would consider any surgery that is needed. Dd will be getting seen to see if she needs her tonsils and adenoids out this year, constant runny nose, snoring, hard to get going in the morning etc. she's had all her vaccine's. Had a blood test last week to check for allergies and dairy intolerance. I'm happy for her to get one set of earring once she is 5.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default share a book

Hi. Just went through the gastroscopy/biopsy thing with dd1. Wishing sincerely that I hadn't.
    Positive blood test, off the scale, plus skinny kid, plus family history equals coeliac disease. I mean, what are the odds of it being anything else? The paed insisted on 'ticking all of the boxes' with the biopsy.

So anyway, the little un comes out of anaesthetic in the horrors, like they do, and I'm trying to console her, while the surgeon is telling me that "It looks like she has coeliac disease".

No sh*t, Sherlock. Fair dinkum, I nearly decked the pompous eff wit.

Phew. Glad I got that out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I wish my parents had made me get braces! I was told I should get them when I was 14 and I just refused ( i thought they looked bad ) so they just let it go, I've had trouble with my teeth for the last 20 years , DH had braces at 15 and he has beautiful teeth , that's one thing I will insist if DS needs them as it will definitely lead to problems later on
    Yep DD is getting braces whether she likes it or not. My ex Sil refused to get braces and has now spent thousands to get her teeth fixed and had numerous problems. Her teeth where really bad I couldn't believe her parents let it go.

Anyway I would get things done if I believed there was a good reason. For example if my DD was a teen and had a bad nose or something. I knew a girl at school who had lets say a big nose and her parents let her fix it at 16. She was so much happier after. So something like that I would allow if she actually had a big nose and wasn't just imaging it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by really old View Post
    Hi. Just went through the gastroscopy/biopsy thing with dd1. Wishing sincerely that I hadn't.
    Positive blood test, off the scale, plus skinny kid, plus family history equals coeliac disease. I mean, what are the odds of it being anything else? The paed insisted on 'ticking all of the boxes' with the biopsy.

So anyway, the little un comes out of anaesthetic in the horrors, like they do, and I'm trying to console her, while the surgeon is telling me that "It looks like she has coeliac disease".

No sh*t, Sherlock. Fair dinkum, I nearly decked the pompous eff wit.

Phew. Glad I got that out.
    We had a pushy paed, and her dh is the gastroenterologist. Blood test was also off the scales positive, skinny as anything, but no family history and not even something I had considered. Since then all of us were tested and my mum's blood test came back positive, mine was negative but my house has become gluten free. Looks like my nephew is the same so they decided to raise him in a gf home then do the 'gluten challenge' and test when he is older if they feel it's necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Only after I've gone off and explored all other options first and am positive that surgery is the right way to go. eg. one year ago DD1 had her hearing tested and she had hearing loss from glue ear. The suggested treatment was grommets, something considered to be quite low risk. She wasn't having sore ears, just blocked ears so I did my research and learnt that kids don't need grommets after the age of 8 and that osteopathic treatment can help. So we went to an osteopath who treated her twice and her ears were clear...hearing improved and doctor had a very clear vision of her ear drum and said all looked perfect. whenever they get blocked we just go the osteopath but we've only had two lots of treatments. She's 6 so two years to go and this will no longer be a problem.

Other things like when she got tested for Cealiacs before she was 2 and I knew that the blood test could give false results before the age of 2, I would have put her on the gluten free diet and had her re-tested at 2 and then gone from there.

I wouldn't hesitate if it was something I felt one of my kids really needed though but I research my options first, both western and otherwise. Had DD1's ears not been fixed with alternative treatments we would have gone ahead with the grommets.